SUBWAY

Options
Is subway actually good for you? If so what kind of things from subway are ok to have for lunch?

Replies

• mccaugkm
    mccaugkm Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, because I'm seriously considering Subway for lunch tomorrow.

I know they have suggestions and so forth for you in their little menu, but I'm that person who would order a 6" turkey breast on Italian with spinach, cucumber, yellow peppers, ranch, and dry herbs and that's probably not the best thing I could get. I'm really wanting the chicken cordon bleu after seeing the commercial tonight, but I think that's because yesterday and today I've been hit by this "I WANT TO EAT!" around 9pm.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Subway can be good for you. Just make sure you watch out for sodium. They have a lot of it in all of their breads. My advice get there low carb salad option and load it up with fresh veggies. Also watch out for there meatballs, pepperoni, and steak. All high in fat and cals.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    their salads & really low cal! :o)
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Watch the meats. I had Subway for dinner tonight and in one footlong with extra cheese, there was about 2500mg of sodium. But, it is a great way to get your veggies in for the day. Just drink lots of water with your sub.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, because I'm seriously considering Subway for lunch tomorrow.

I know they have suggestions and so forth for you in their little menu, but I'm that person who would order a 6" turkey breast on Italian with spinach, cucumber, yellow peppers, ranch, and dry herbs and that's probably not the best thing I could get. I'm really wanting the chicken cordon bleu after seeing the commercial tonight, but I think that's because yesterday and today I've been hit by this "I WANT TO EAT!" around 9pm.

Your sandwich is a great choice....except maybe the ranch unless it's low calorie! I eat turkey subs from subway all the time and I'm consistently losing weight!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I feel that it is not a bad choice occassionally. I LOVE subway and used to work there, that must mean something.

Watch the sodium from the processed meat and cheese, dont add mayo or other fatty dressings.

I am vegetarian so I just get a veggie with honey wheat bread, nearly all veggies, pepper and vinegar. I occassionally add cheese, but not often.

The chicken breast should be fine, maybe turkey

Its all about choices and sizes. They have apples and yogurt for sides that are good choices and unsweetened tea if you really want a drink besides water.

Good luck and ENJOY!!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    Avoid any of their cheese, fatty sauces (mayo, ranch, etc), tuna, meatball, etc. I always get the turkey and ham and load it up with spinach, cucumber, onion and green pepper....sometimes i'll throw a little of the sweet onion sauce on there (it is fat free, but i have no idea of the sodium)
    I would suggest going online to their website and check the menu/nutritional info before you head in....it's not an ideal lunch, probably, but way better then wendy's or mcdonalds!
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options

replace the bread with wheat (it is just as good i used to love me some Italian bread) try a fat free dressing like honey mustard, that has replaced the ranch in my life =)
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    Linday! I totally agree I don't like cheese (lactose and tolerate) :), I don't like any of the sauces unless maybe low fat Italian or balsamic, I dontmlike tuna or meatball on a sub. SO IM GOOD THERE!! haha. I love turkey and ham with veggies!! I will definately try something like that
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    they also have little signs in the stores that say what to get and avoid if you are watching cals fat and sodium
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Oh wow that's so helpful thanks for all of your input and I will definately look for those signs
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    6" with no cheese, all the salads you want and ask them for half sauce as they normally put too much on IMO (for cals and flavour) and it's pretty good.

Footlong meatball, with extra bacon, cheese...not so good.
  • RichGebs
    Options
    I'd have to agree with you there Chris I'm not a fan of meatball subs
  • firemama
    firemama Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I eat at Subway I usually get a 6" Oven roasted Chicken Breast on Nine Grain Honey Oat with provolone cheese. I opt for no mayo/ or other condiments. I get all the veggies, vinegar, and spices at the end. I think for the whole sammie and chips, Baked Lays, it is about 450 calories. If I am really good I spilt the meal in half and eat half for lunch and half for snack.

Aloha
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Also agree with chris. Drop the cheese. double the meat too...roasted chicken of course. half the sauce. and more salad than the bread can handle!!!

Though even then there is bugger all vege's on it compared to what you should be getting each day. IMO. :)
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Oh man!! So much delicious choices. I wonder how to even calculate the nutrition on all this! Hahaha
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I found this website to calculate my Subway meals:

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/calculators/subway-sandwich-calorie-carb-nutrition-calculator.php/comment-page-1#comment-242591

The Subway official site has nutritional values for "pre-made" salads and sandwiches. This site allows you to customize what you actually order.

Hope you find it as useful as I have.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I second what everyone else has said, and have something to add!

Do you have Jimmy John's in your area? I recently converted to their UNwiches which is 'sandwich' meat in lettuce wraps instead of bread. They're still surprisingly filling and you avoid about 200 calories from getting rid of the bread. it's now my standing Tuesday lunch!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    6" Chicken Sweet Onion Teriyaki on scooped whole wheat is a really balanced meal.
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i try to get the kids meal with a turkey breast sandwich and dannon light and fit yogurt and its about 280 calories for the meal.. but some subways wont allow you to get a kids meal unless your 12 or under,, sometimes i have a friend buy it for me with his regular meal so they dont make a fuss over it