Protein/Energy Bars

Options
Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me their recommendations on energy bars that are slightly lower in carbs than what i'm currently eating. I love luna bars, but the 26 g of carbs isn't worth it sometimes. Something that isn't chocolate covered would be excellent as well.

Much Love Myfitnesspal'ers!

Replies

• RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars the 20g protein ones. Actually have more protein then carbs, the only one I have found.
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Usana Nutrition bar!! I have only tried the Chocolate fusion but i think there are other non-chocolate options. Here is the nutrition info:
    150 cal
    4.5 g fat
    5 mg cholesterol
    120 mg sodium (yay!)
    20 g total carbs (not much lower but its better)
    3 g fibre
    15 g sugar
    12 g protein
    4% RDI calcium
    15% RDI iron
  • hillabomber
    Options
    TBH most protein bars or any other 'health' bar are utterly horrible for you. They are packed with soy products (bad) canola or hydrogenated oils (bad) sugar (bad) or aspartame (worst!!) If you end up eating these, make sure you read the label on the back for any of these ingredients.

Personally I use a 100% whey protein shake as an after workout meal, they are much 'cleaner' as far as the ingredients from my experience.
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    By the way my nutritionist doesn't like people eating protein bars to get the extra protein. Eat lean meat and legumes and you'll get similar amounts of protein for the same 180-300 calorie bars, which are full of processed sugar and chemicals. Pure Protein has over 15g of sugar alcohol. Would you rather take put that in your body that a few extra grams of carbs? It's not worth it. Eat lean and whole foods instead. Carbs aren't our enemy if you eat properly and always eat whole wheat/grain food.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Power Crunch Bars only have between 8-10 g of carbs per bar and are like tasty awesome wafer cookies. I really like them because they're light and I can eat one late at night if I've realized I didn't eat enough calories for the workout I did. Or closer to when I do my workout without feeling weighed down by food.

If you go to BodyBuilding.com you can search bars by carb counts as well.

I really like the taste of Pure Protein bars a lot, even moreso than the PowerCrunch. But they are definitely heavier, fill me up a lot longer/more and the carbs are also higher as well.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    TBH most protein bars or any other 'health' bar are utterly horrible for you. They are packed with soy products (bad) canola or hydrogenated oils (bad) sugar (bad) or aspartame (worst!!) If you end up eating these, make sure you read the label on the back for any of these ingredients.

Personally I use a 100% whey protein shake as an after workout meal, they are much 'cleaner' as far as the ingredients from my experience.

Well here's an exception for you -- Perfect Foods Bar
    http://www.perfectfoodsbar.com/pages/nutrition-facts

Unfortunately for the OP, they're not necessarily lower in carbs than her Luna bars.

Count me as another fan of Pure Protein bars, when I want something other than my protein shakes.