oil vs unsweetened applesauce?

Options
So I was playing around with the food database looking to add unsweeten applesauce to my snacks and I saw some recipes that states replacing the oil in baked good recipes (cakes, cookies and brownies) with unsweeten applesauce. I have never heard of that before but sounds interesting.

What is the point of doing it exactly? I'm assuming to cut calories. Does anyone know what the difference in calories would be?

Also, has anyone tried this before? What is your take on it? I read some blogs after "googling" it and they said there is a bit of a texture difference? One person said not to replace the oil in a cookie recipe because it doesn't work out.

I would absolutely LOVE to hear your opinions on this. I have a box of brownie mix sitting in my cabinet that I won't make due to calories. Even if we cut alittle calories I will be happy. And so will my family, they really want some brownies :laugh:

Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Makes for a healthier recipe. I use it in banana bread and you almost can't tell the difference, other than it doesn't leave oil on your fingers after you eat a slice. I think it works best when you leave a little of the oil in the recipe,but substitute half or more of it with applesauce.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I've made brownies and instead of using oil I used apple butter and they came out pretty good!
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    Yeah, it works. I've never used it in cookies, but I've used it in "fluffier" type recipes like cakes or breads. I don't notice a difference, still tastes great!

It's a one to one ration, so if there's a Tbsp of oil just sub it for a Tbsp of applesauce. Which, when you compare it, is like 120 cals vs barely any. And less fat.

Also, if you're planning on making brownies you can sub egg whites for whole eggs to save some cals. 2 egg whites per every whole egg, but I've used only a 1:1 ration or added 3 egg whites in place of 2 whole eggs and it's worked fine.
    Another option is diet soda cake, which has been mentioned on the boards here. If you're using cake or brownie mix, add a can of diet soda to the mix instead of eggs and oil.
    Usually people say a dark pop with dark cake, and light with light. I used diet sprite with a yellow cake mix and it was super moist and tasted great.
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    I've done it many times... do not replace oil for applesauce in cookies. LOL. Doesn't work.
    Muffins, brownies, cake.. works wonders. The texture is still very moist but the end product contains less calories and really that's all I know about it. =)
    Try it out, you won't be disappointed. I can't recall the exchange rate on that... 1 cup oil vs 1 cup sauce or something. I always have to google that.
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    I've made brownies and instead of using oil I used apple butter and they came out pretty good!

YUM Applebutter DOES work well! Completely forgot about this stuff.
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    Many people doing Weight Watchers do that and it is to cut calories, make it healthier and going by the point system that Weight Watchers utilize it is less points per slice, per serving, etc.....
  • lraymond558
    Options
    I made banana bread with it and the amount i needed for three loaves equalled 490 calories... i just put apple slices in the blender to make it :) the loaf came out to 190 calories but that was for a piece that was about 1.5 inches thick so i am sure you could get it to even less calories by taking smaller slices.

oils are like 120 calories per tbsp i believe and you use 1/2 cup + in recipes so in terms of substituting that one ingredient, well it makes a major difference.
  • TaTaBonnie
    Options
    Yeah, I know several people that bake with applesauce. I forgot about it, though. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Had to look it up in the database to see the difference.

1 cup of oil is close enough to 2000 calories to be 2000.
    1 cup of apple sauce is 100 calories so a massive savings on a 1:1 replacement.
  • godsgiftjcp
    Options
    I have tried apple sauce in baked goods and I have to say that I dont like it. It makes the cake dense instead of light and fluffy. I have found that if you replace a lot of the ingredients with diet soda, it taste wonderful. Just google diet soda cakes!!!!! Good luck
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Oil has fat. Apples do not.
  • Spiritwood
    Options
    Yes, I have done this and have been pleased with the results.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it works. I've never used it in cookies, but I've used it in "fluffier" type recipes like cakes or breads. I don't notice a difference, still tastes great!

It's a one to one ration, so if there's a Tbsp of oil just sub it for a Tbsp of applesauce. Which, when you compare it, is like 120 cals vs barely any. And less fat.

Also, if you're planning on making brownies you can sub egg whites for whole eggs to save some cals. 2 egg whites per every whole egg, but I've used only a 1:1 ration or added 3 egg whites in place of 2 whole eggs and it's worked fine.
    Another option is diet soda cake, which has been mentioned on the boards here. If you're using cake or brownie mix, add a can of diet soda to the mix instead of eggs and oil.
    Usually people say a dark pop with dark cake, and light with light. I used diet sprite with a yellow cake mix and it was super moist and tasted great.

I've heard of this before, but never tried it b/c I'm not a big of chocolate. I'm definitely gonna have to try the diet sprite for yellow cake :) thanks so much!
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have used it in making cakes (yes, even boxed ones). You honestly cant tell the difference in taste and texture. I've noticed that it's a little moister, which I like :)
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice guys!! I made up the recipe in "My Recipes" and the brownie mix I have makes 16 brownies @ 160 cals a piece. Sub the oil for unsweeten applesauce and it looks like im saving 25 cals per brownie. Thats pretty good! I am going to bake them tomorrow and see how they turn out. Man will my family be happy. I mentioned to my dad (who is half on board with this healthy lifestyle change with me and my boyfriend) and he is already skeptical. So we will see. WISH ME LUCK!!
  • jazzybean1
    jazzybean1 Posts: 113
    Options
    I use it for muffins... it works great and cuts out a lot of fat as well as calories:)
    They stay moist and you can't tell the difference!
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've tried it for cakes and brownies. For cakes: perfect! It makes it even a little more moist and it tastes every bit as good. It will make your brownies more cake-like than thick-gooey 'normal' brownies. But! They still come out tasty!
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with godsgift! Diet soda with cake mix is actually really awesome :) I first read about it from my grandpa's diabetic magazine. I've mixed a 12 oz can of Diet Sunkist orange with a box of white cake mix and topped it with light whipped cream. Tastes like a dreamcicle cake! I heard that Diet Cherry Coke/Pepsi is good with chocolate cake too.

Though I may try it in banana bread, I'm not a big fan of applesauce as a replacement for oil in brownies. It ruins my idea of a treat and I felt like I wasted my money on the mix. If you're going to have a brownie...have one. A real one. Just try not to make it a everyday indulgence and make up for it with exercise and better eating the rest of the day/week. I did an extra workout dvd today to make up for the amazing little brownie I had for breakfast today...totally worth it!
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that they turn out a little more dense...I don't mind but my boyfriend doesn't like it at all. There is a texture difference and if you are willing to be okay with that to cut the calories (I am!) then it is totally worth it and works great!
  • luvphx
    luvphx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend brought me some oatmeal raisin cookies in which she had used applesause, they were very moist and delicious!