Breakfast or not?

Options
I have read that you should never skip breakfast. I have also read that you should work out on an empty stomach. I usually get up around 7:15 am, take kids to school at 8:45, Gym at 9:00 til about 10:30 then lunch at about 11:00. With this schedule i cant really have breakfast and work out on an empty stomach. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    what about a apple and a granola bar, or a yogert? I think that you need something to fuel the workout.
  • resamejia
    resamejia Posts: 16
    Options
    Don't workout on a completely empty stomach. You need fuel otherwise you'll burn out too fast during your workout.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Everyone has time for something....I just grab a yogurt and eat it in a minute or so. Maybe that is just me.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Something small before workout - like a yogurt. After workout do something with great protein (helps muscle recover) - hard boiled egg or protein shake, for instance. Then you can make lunch a bit later - you won't be famished.
  • smhuber
    smhuber Posts: 16
    Options
    You really need to eat something, especially if you are working out. You can get sick if you work out on an empty stomach or burn out quickly. Take an "on the go" meal. I love the Fiber One bars and fruit when I have to work early and don't have time to sit and eat.
  • diana77
    diana77 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I definitly agree with kitty, u need something to get that metabolism going. Bars yougert something you can eat on the go. So atleast you have gotten some kind of energy in your system.... :yawn:
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat breakfast! Always, always, always! I can't function without it. I would: Eat breakfast as soon as you get up, push back going to the gym until 10:00 and eat lunch at noon.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Here is what the Australian Institute of Sport recommends:

"A general guide is to have a meal about 3-4 hours before exercise or a lighter snack about 1-2 hours before exercise"

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/competition_and_training2/eating_before_exercise
  • annpat28
    annpat28 Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input. I will continue to eat a small breakfast before i work out. I am struggling to stay with this and figure out what i can do to make this a life style i can stay with.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A greek yogurt, (Chobani is oh-so-yum) with a 1/4 cup of grape nuts, and a piece of fruit. Light enough for a 9am workout, and super tasty. Or you could have a Cottage Doubles. It's 100 calories or fruit and cottage cheese. Small but filling! Good luck, Lady!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    No matter what, Breakfast is a must
  • dbwebb12
    dbwebb12 Posts: 6
    Options
    I learned that Breakfast is VITAL to successful weight loss. I take 10 minutes to have cereal and coffee whenever I work a late shift. If I'm working early I will stop and grab a Rockstar 2X energy drink and a protein bar on my way in. Empty stomach or with something in it doesn't affect my workout much. The Rockstar 2X has 15 cals and keeps my workout humming. Since I made breakfast a habit I have noticed the results are sooo much better. Good Luck!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat breakfast with your kids before you take them to school
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    To compensate I have found the only thing I can do is wake up at 5am and work out. It took some getting used to, but it gives me more time during the day to get everything else done.

A half cup of oatmeal prepared is a good thing to eat if you need to eat before your workout.

Best of luck to ya,

-Rain
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Even a banana about 30 minutes before a workout would be good. But get something in your system and then afterwards get your protein in (shake or eggs/Greek yogurt/Cottage Cheese, etc.).

Best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't eat a real heavy meal before a workout but the body needs fuel to function right so i'd eat something light. perhaps some yogurt or some fruit. then eat the rest of your meal after the workout.