What Kind of HRM?????

Options
Could someone please tell me a good HRM to buy and where you got it or ordered it? I really need to get one, I want to make sure I'm counting the correct calories when I workout.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 last week. Works great - with the chest strap, I know exactly how many calories I'm burning. My old one was one of the cheap watches where you push and hold the button to get your heart rate. It really overexaggerated how many I burned...in some cases, nearly double! I bought it from Best Buy, by the way. I had no idea they sold them until I was looking for one.
  • rollerbladinbob
    Options
    I just bought the Polar RS300X. It's about $120 on Ebay. It is great for running and biking and you can buy attachments that measure running speed and distance. It uses a chest strap to transmit the heart rate signal and calculates your calorie expenditure.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    BUMP - Going shopping this weekend for (real) running shoes, support bra, and HRM....I'm taking the plunge and learning to run. Couch to 5Ksounds like a great option, but I'd like an HRM to track things.

I appreciate any addtional ideas/comments!
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 gets my vote too. I love mine and am never in the gym without it! Its so easy to use too. Highly recommended!
  • dodier01
    dodier01 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Hoping to go out this weekend to buy one!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i just got the polar ft7 and i love it. purchased it at sports authority for $110. :)
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FS3 from about 4 or 5 years ago and mine does not calculate calories. It came with the chest strap which I have read is more accurate than just a wristwatch HRM types. I believe the newer HRM's calculate calories so I'm actually thinking of getting a newer one, which will probably be Polar - just not sure which one.

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I bought my HRM and recently my Omron pedometer at heartratemonitorsusa dot com which usually offers free shipping and other specials which help you out with the total cost :smile: Also if you search online, there are online codes that you may be able to use as well on their site :wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I bought a Reebok Precision XT with chest strap on 08/08/08 for $20 on sale. I Love It. Had to change the battery in the chest strap once, I believe, maybe after a year or two. No issues, no problems. I adore that thing. Is it accurate? Who knows but when I work out with it and log my calories and eat them, I still lose weight, so it must be fairly accurate!

I didn't want to invest in a Polar, frankly. They are pricey.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

This was very helpful - Thanks for posting and to the author for their time in detailing the information!
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between the Polar FT4 & FT4F? (I hope this isn't a stupid question.)
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between the Polar FT4 & FT4F? (I hope this isn't a stupid question.)

I hope this isn't a stupid answer because I am not sure but doesn't the F at the end mean it is for females ?