Max 30 Mins of Cardio?

Options
I just read this in a blog that contained some fitness tips:

"Never do more than 30 minutes of straight "Cardio" unless you want to be forever weak, flabby, and skinny-fat."

Is this an accurate statement?

My trainer told me that in order to start burning fat, I should do no less than 20 minutes of cardio at the gym. So this means only 10 minutes of cardio exercise would go towards fat burning, since anything more would leave me weak and flabby... and skinny-fat, whatever that is.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Steveeee
    Steveeee Posts: 62
    Options
    I read it was less effective to carry on after an hour somewhere, I forget where now though.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where that came from but usually the max should be an hour. Can you post where you read this?
  • jennyph2006
    jennyph2006 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    When I work with my trainer, we do weights THEN he has me do 30 mins of cardio. TOO much cardio can break down the muscle. Doing a balance of both is great. I wouldnt stop doing 45 mins on the eliptical, or going for long walks becasue of this, but INTENSE cardio I believe is more what they are saying here. Will you lose weight doing 60 mins of cardio a day? OF COURSE YOU WILL but you need to incorporate weight training if you want to have that tight, lean look. not the Skinny fat look.

I would google it :)
  • caws1111
    caws1111 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what is BUMP?
  • AmandaD99
    AmandaD99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is the blog where I read it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Jourdan_Rystrom/view/25-tips-to-be-the-fittest-healthiest-most-successful-person-you-can-be-89694

Some of the other tips do also seem a little strange...
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    with regard to cardio v. weight training, what about both? I did an hour (2 rounds) of Jillian's Cardio Kickbox, then the 30 DS last night (so, an hour of cardio, then weights). Would I have been better off to stop after the first round of kickboxing? It's pretty intense...
  • bridetobe310711
    Options
    what is BUMP?

i dont know what bump means either!!!
  • beasy22
    beasy22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What is Skinny - fat?
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    BUMP is just a way of getting this topic in "my topics" section in the community pages, so it can be read later. It's used on feature-starved forums like this where you can't 'watch' topics.

It stands for something, but I forget what.. bring up my post, I think.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is where you are tiny...but jiggly. you are not physically fit. no muscle definition, etc.
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options
    what is BUMP?

I had to ask, too. From what I have been told, bump moves the topic to the top of the recent posts so more people can continue to be exposed because yes, the "bumper" is also interested and the more people that respond, the more information or opinions you will receive. When you are the "bumper" this topic will now also be displayed in your "My Topics" list (as with any topic you comment on), so it will be easy for you to come back to later. Hope this helps.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Bump just means that they are trying to get the thread higher up so more people will see it.

My trainer has me warm up with about 10 min of cardio before we hit the weights for an hour. Then when I lift on my own thats what I do.. 10 to 15 min of cardio before hitting the weights. On the days I don't lift, I only do cardio for a max of 30 min.
  • morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    what is BUMP?

i dont know what bump means either!!!

People bump posts to keep them in the recent posts, so more responses can come through. I also bump to keep a post in "My Topics" so that I can look at it later.
  • lydiaanne1977
    lydiaanne1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Someone wishing to keep a thread on the list of main forums—or bring an old thread back to it—will post a reply to it purely to do this. Posters who are open about this simply write the word "bump".
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that a 90 minute cardio workout is fine as long as I eat a high protein snack at the 45 minute mark.
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    BUMP is just a way of getting this topic in "my topics" section in the community pages, so it can be read later. It's used on feature-starved forums like this where you can't 'watch' topics.

It stands for something, but I forget what.. bring up my post, I think.

hahahaha, thanks so much for that great explanation!! I've been seriously annoyed with this whole "bump" thing, trying to figure out why everyone is doing that! I honestly thought it was like some virtual way of giving someone a fist bump/pump and I thought people were losing their minds!!! haha =) thanks!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a load of *insert expletive* to me - I regularly do an hour to an hour and a half CV and I loose weight. Then again, I'm trying to get my fitness levels up rather than just loose lbs.

That said - consensus is that the best way to loose weight & tone is to do weights (~2*15 reps per exercise) followed by about 30 minutes CV. Apparently the sequence in which your body consumes energy stores works best this way.

-DO eat properly for training: protein in the day, protein and carbs before and after workout.