Cooking Challenge: Strawberries

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the twenty-fourth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from melkneec who was the winner of the cabbage challenge.

sliced_strawberries-618.jpg

This week's challenge is STRAWBERRIES.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday March 26th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Wow, these should be good...
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    yummy!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lemon and Strawberry Cream Puffs

For the Puffs:

3/4 cup water
    6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
    2 tbls of sugar
    pinch of salt
    3/4 cup all-pupose flour
    4 eggs
    Zest of 1 lemon

Filling:

1 pound fresh strawberries (cleaned up and cut up)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 tbs sugar
    Whipped cream or lemon sorbet (I used whipped cream)

Heat the over to 425
    Spray a baking sheet with pam then line it with parchment paper

In a medium saucepan over medium high, heat the water, butter, sugar, and salt until boiling
    Add the flour and stir vigorously while chontinuing to cook until the mixture forms a ball, pulls away from the sides of the pan and all the dry flour has been absorbed.

Transfer the dough to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium with the paddle attachment for 1 minute. ( I don't have a stand mixture and tried using my hand mixture which didn't work too well so I stirred it with all my might for 2 mins) :)
    Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping dow the bowl and making sure that each is incorporated into the mixture before adding the next.

Using a large spoon, form the dough into golf ball-sized mounds and arrange the prepared baking sheet, allowing 3 inches between each.

Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 and continue to bake until goldn, crispy and light, about anothe 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.

While the puffs bake and cool, in a medium bowl combine the strawberries, sugar and vanilla. Lightly crush the srawberries with a fork. Set aside.

After the puffs have cooled, cut them in half crosswise. Fill each with berries and whipped cream or sorbet.

Serves 12
    Each puff: 112 cals
    9 g fat
    94 mg cholesterol
    8 g carbs
    2 g protein
    1 g fiber
    43 mg sodium

LOVE these! I may try them with lemon sorbet (light ofcourse) next time, but they really are delish!! If you want them to look pretty you can dust them with a little bit of powdered sugar :)
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. :)
  • Cacassid
    Cacassid Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Will have to see what is in the old family recipe chest.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    yum
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    yum, i love strawberries!! cant wait to see all the recipes!:drinker:
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Strawberry chiffon Desert ( Orig, Recipe from All Recipes )
    Servings (18)

USMetricCalculate

Original Recipe Yield 9 x 13 inch pan
    Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    2 egg whites
    1 cup white sugar
    2 cups fresh strawberries
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Directions

Mix flour, sugar and butter until crumbly. Add walnuts. NOTE: If you use frozen strawberries, use 2/3 cup sugar and 10 ounces frozen strawberries.
    Place 2/3 of the mixture in 9 x 13 inch baking dish and bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
    In large deep bowl, stir together egg whites, sugar, strawberries and lemon juice. Whip with electric mixer at high speed for 10 minutes.
    In another mixing bowl, whip whipping cream until stiff and fold into strawberry mixture. Spread over crumb mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight before serving.
    Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 178 | Total Fat: 10.1g | Cholesterol: 32mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

* I use Lite cool whip vs whipping cream and depending on if not in season, use frozen (no sugar added) berries.
    Wish I had a camera and could post pic. :-(

I have another kind of similar dessert but I have to find the recipe.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE:

White Chocolate Strawberry Pie
    INGREDIENTS:

For the Crust:

1 1/2 cups finely ground Wheat Chex Cereal
    1/3 cup Ideal No Calorie Sweetener
    6 tablespoons Country Crock Light margarine

For the Pie Filling:

Jell-O (Jello) - Gelatin Dessert - Sugar Free Strawberry Low Calorie, 1 container (2 cup prepareds ea.)
    Jell-O - Sugar Free Fat Free Instant White Chocolate Pudding - Dry Mix, 1 container (1 package ea.)
    Kraft - Cool Whip--Fat Free Whipped Topping Jkb, 1 container (50 tbsp ea.)
    Water

DIRECTIONS:

For the Crust:

Before hand use a food processor to grind the cereal.
    1.Mix cereal, Ideal, and margarine in a large mixing bowl until it is well blended and even.
    2. Spray a 9 inch pie dish with non stick cooking spray.
    3. Press mixture into pie pan with fingers or spoon until even and on the sides.
    Makes enough for one 9 inch pie pan. Makes 8 servings.

For the Pie Filling:

Mix jello gelatin according to box directions.
    Then just add pudding mix dry to the jello gelatin mix and stir well.
    Once it is all evenly mixed fold in the fat free cool whip.
    Pour into a pie crust.
    Let set up a few hours and serve.
    You have about a half cup left over that wont fit into the crust. I just put it in a small cup and chill and eat as a snack.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Total per serving with filling and crust:

142 Calories, 4g Fat, 1g Fiber, 2g Protein, 336mg Sodium, 4g Sugar

Not bad for a slice of pie!!

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 8

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This was a very good creamy pie!! You can tell it is a Jello pie but it is very good. Next time I am going to melt a little white chocolate and drizzle it over the top!! Fantastic!!

PICTURE (optional):
    DSCN2619+%2528Small%2529.JPG

**** I also added some frozen strawberries to mine. ****
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    This challenge ends tomorrow!! So enter!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Sorry for the delay! The strawberry cooking challenge voting is up and the winner will be announced on Wednesday!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, I just posted this in your cottage cheese challenge but since this has strawberries as well I decided to post this here as well.

I made this a while back and put it on MFP. I love it b/c strawberries are so cheap right now and cottage cheese is a great source of protein but if you are a cheese hater like me its hard to tolerate the “normal” hard cheese let alone curd-liquid kind.

This is delicious whether you love or hate cc.

Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie

½ cup skim milk
    ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese
    4 sweetener packets (originally I used 6, I have now cut it down to 4, 3 is ok as well)
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup strawberries, frozen

Directions: combine all ingredients in blender, blend until smooth. * Serves 1.

WW Points: 3
    Nutrition: 192 calories, 516mg sodium, 31g carbs, 4g fiber, 0g fat, 19g protein.

Here is my photo;

Picture514.jpg
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to aims99 and her Lemon and Strawberry Cream Puffs!
  • bhunter20
    bhunter20 Posts: 14
    Options
    bump