scale down...but dont believe it???

Options
ok...so has anyone else ever felt this way? i have been really good the past couple weeks...eating healthy and exercising. so last nite my husband and i went out for HH and i had a couple (3..eek!) glasses of wine. we split an app of bruchetta which was AMAZING and then we got home and it was like 6. so my wine brain told me that i wanted to eat more...so i had a bunch of bread with EVOO and two chicken wings. obviously did not make the right choices last night...but i got on the scale to 'punish' myself this morning and i was DOWN?!?! to me i am thinking this can not be right...it will catch up with me tomorrow...anyone ever feel like that...like the food hasnt actually caught up to them and the scale is lying to me?? or is that just crazy??

Replies

• RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Scales are not always accurate. I can weight at night and get one reading and then in the morning be down 4 pounds. When I eat a lot, the scale does not always show it the same day but I can tell the difference during the week.

Note: Dont punish yourself! LOL You ate good. Enjoyed your evening. Move forward.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    that usually happens to me...it'll be down after a binge day, but it always shows up! :)
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, that happens to me. There are mornings I feel I'm gong to be way over from day/night before and I'm not. Then the morning's I feel I should be down I'm not!!! I say to myself, 'You've got to be kidding me". Those are the times when you have to keep yourself focused on the loooong term outlook and not in the moment.!! I think God does that to keep us moving on.......
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    Yes, that happens to me. There are mornings I feel I'm gong to be way over from day/night before and I'm not. Then the morning's I feel I should be down I'm not!!! I say to myself, 'You've got to be kidding me". Those are the times when you have to keep yourself focused on the loooong term outlook and not in the moment.!! I think God does that to keep us moving on.......

totally agree!!! and i have to keep reminding myself that its not a quick fix...there will be bumps in the road...and that its for the long term.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    ok...so has anyone else ever felt this way? i have been really good the past couple weeks...eating healthy and exercising. so last nite my husband and i went out for HH and i had a couple (3..eek!) glasses of wine. we split an app of bruchetta which was AMAZING and then we got home and it was like 6. so my wine brain told me that i wanted to eat more...so i had a bunch of bread with EVOO and two chicken wings. obviously did not make the right choices last night...but i got on the scale to 'punish' myself this morning and i was DOWN?!?! to me i am thinking this can not be right...it will catch up with me tomorrow...anyone ever feel like that...like the food hasnt actually caught up to them and the scale is lying to me?? or is that just crazy??

Alcohol is a natural diuertic. In other words it will temporarily flush water out of your system. I suspect that the loss on the scale represents, in the vast majority, a loss of water due to the wine you drank.

That is why the scale is such an unreliable measure of progress in isolation if your actual goal is to look better rather then indiscrimately lose weight (which I suspect is what most people actually want.)