Metformin Question

Options
I have been taking 500mg Met. twice a day(prescribed for insulin resistance and PCOS) for almost a year now. At first I got all of the normal stomach symptoms(nausea, diarrhea etc.). They slowly went away as the metformin took action(took about 6 months to take effect) within my body. I started losing weight much more normally than I ever have in the last few years and was soooo Thankful! Now I am down almost 30 pounds and really working hard to lose the weight w/ diet and lots of exercise. I am still taking the Met. twice a day, but it seems that my initial symptoms have returned! Im wondering if maybe because I lost some weight that I need to DECREASE my dose? I have a DR. appt this coming Mon. and I will ask them for sure, but I was just wondering if maybe anyone else has had this happen? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! :wink: :smile:

Replies

• sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i take it too just started taking it 2 weeks ago.. and let me tell u the side effects WOW... i was in bed for a few days.. i havent lost weight on it tho... i also take 500 2 times a day.. but im a type 2 diabetic. i dont think its callabrated to weight tho..
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hi! i am on the exact same dose as you...started in june, and it's been amazing. when my weight loss slowed down, and the exhaustion returned, i cut out sugar (again), and i began losing weight and feeling better immediately. i have about 25 grams or less of sugar a day.
    i would look into other reasons for the nausea, etc...shouldn't be the metformin at this stage. hope this helps!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I used to take it. never got any of the bad symptoms you described. I took it for a little over 1 year. my doctor was very happy with my progress and weaned me off the drugs and in Jan 2011 I have been off of it altogether. after I stopped it I noticed a big drop in weight a week later. 12 lbs. and that was in 8 days. I average a loss of 8-12 lbs a month.
  • HeatherRW
    Options
    I have the same issue (PCOS) I also take metformin 2 times a day (500mg) and I seriously have been having the same issue now that I have lost aout 20 lbs. That crazy I just happened to see your post, I was just talking to my husband about this last night! I dont have an answer for why that is but I have a friend that was taking Metformin just to get pregnant apparently it helps with infertility depending on the problem. She is very tiny... and was taking metformin 3 times a day (500mg) and had no symptoms of (nausea or diarrhea) she also has never been diagnosed with PCOS or has had any diabetic problems......I think it totally depends on the person! But maybe let me know what your Dr. says about it. Good Luck!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hi I know you know that this is seriously something you need to discuss with your endicrinologist and you are just asking for personal experience in this regard so I will not give you the ENTIRE each individual patient varies see your doctor lecture yadayada yada

When I still worked in healthcare and controlled dosing of metformin and related, we often switched patients from 500mg twice a day to 850 once a day for those patients whose blood glucose profile improved through a combination of diet, exercise and medication (this was for diabetes treatment not pcos) I just checked my old (2005!) drug book and for pcos dosing it was recommend 500mg 1-3 times a day (starting at 1 time a day and titrating up to 3 times a day if tolerated)

be sure to inform your health care provider when the side effects started and any other unusual things you may have noticed about your body lately

good luck
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    So Im guessing as my weight decreases, my dose of Met will also decrease. So frustrating, but I will update when I find out on Monday at the DR. hope they have some answers for me. Thanks for the advice everyone:) and any more advice would help tons!