Eating Calories earned while exercising

Options
Hello, all you fabulous people on this amazing journey. I was wondering if anyone has lost weight while eating back the calories they earned while exercising. Many of the posts I have read report that they do not dip into calories earned for fear of halting the weight loss process. I run an average of four miles a day which is hard on the 1200 calorie allotment. Any and all advice would be appretiated,
Thank you community!

Replies

• Amgette
    Amgette Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have been eating back some of the calories earned and have lost weight. I am not losing as fast as I had planned for at 2 pounds per week - more like 1 and half to only one pound - but it is going in the right direction. I also started adding organic virgin coconut oil as my cooking base for meats and sauteing onions. (previously, I used Pam or chicken broth) I don't count those calories in my daily total. If you read up on it I think you will find that would really help you lose faster while running. I am definitely getting smaller and feeling and looking good. Best of luck!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    a lot of my friends do, but in saying that many of them are not burning a lot of calories (maybe 500 or so)

I tend to burn lots of calories (up to 1500 a day) so there is no point trying to gorge myself to fill back up on that.

I base my eating requirements on how hungry I am. If my body is hungry, I eat. If not, I dont eat. Simple. Generally I eat around 1700 - 2000 calories a day, leaving around a 500 calorie deficit.

I used to compete in adventure races, which means you are on the go competing for up to 6 hours straight. You can imagine how many calories you would burn in that time. And I ate not a lot more than I do now.

I would base the "eating back calories" on how much more fuel or recovery food your body needs, and it might need more a day or two after, even if you havent done anything much on that particular day!

Hope this helps!
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i always wonder the answer to that too, but everytime i bring it up i get a million different answers. so if u get a good answer, and reasoning please share it with me thanks.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    There's a post here that is a reply from a dietician who someone's asked if they should be eating their exercise calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/210249-consult-with-a-dietician-key-lessons-learne
  • Flossycat100
    Options
    I agree with Bunnysone

I do eat some exercise calories back but only if I am hungry. On occasion I can burn up to 3000 extra calories a day through exercise, and I think eating most or all of that back would be ridiculous. So if I can 'bank' some or all of those calories I see no harm, and I am losing weight steadily plus getting very fit in the meantime.

I do always eat when I am hungry though, so if a big exercise day makes me hungry the next morning then I will eat more without feeling guilty.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    From the way I understand it, this planner takes your avarage calorie loss a day (mine is 1810) and says: If you want to lose weight at the rate you gave, you need to have a (for me) 250 calorie deficit each day. Hence the fact that it tells me to eat about 1560 calories a day. Now, if i exercise and burn like 500 calories. Yes, i will eat them back, or at least, i can without stopping weight loss, because i'll still have the daily 250 calorie deficit. If you don't eat it back, you'll just lose weight faster than the rate you specified.

Of course, if i'm not hungry i won't eat it. For me, the goal is to never go over the amount of calories allowed, if i'm under it's no problem, but if i exercise and therefore allow myself an extra snack of chips, all the better.

EDIT: With my bmr being at 1449, this strikes with the post in the link two posts above me. I get enough calories to be healthy, and still lose weight healthily.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    see my signature for a helpful explanation. but to answer ur question i have lost more weight by eating exercise calories than by restricting to 1200. that's jsut the bare minimum.
  • EvilLeah1
    EvilLeah1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much sage dieters. It is so helpful to read your experience. I guess as newbie I truly need to listen to my body when it tells me what it needs. For so long I have been stuffing it with food or drink. I love the community aspect of this site. I don't feel alone. SO on with the program!:flowerforyou: