Surgery???

Options
Hi everyoe, well I had my physical yesterday :grumble: and the Dr says I look great, and the weight is definitely coming off:bigsmile: . However, here's the deal... before I got pregnant with my 8 month old I was suffering with cervical cancer, in fact I was scheduling a hysterectomy when I found out the news (which wasn't supposed to be able to happen:noway: ) ANYWAY- even though everything still looks clean the Dr has scheduled my hysterectomy for NEXT FRIDAY!!! OMG, it is soooo soon:ohwell: . We know the cancer cells have a huge chance (like 80%+) of returning and I guess I'd rather go ahead and get it over with and be recovered by the holidays. Here's my questions:
1. Anyone else been through a hysterectomy and how did it affect you and your weight? What about recovery time until I can start excersizing again?
2. Anyone been through ANY kind of surgery since starting with MFP and how did it affect you?
3. Any words of wisdom to keep me from popping percoset for weeks and blowing up like a balloon!!
Thanks for any and all of you help!!!!!

Replies

• renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi everyoe, well I had my physical yesterday :grumble: and the Dr says I look great, and the weight is definitely coming off:bigsmile: . However, here's the deal... before I got pregnant with my 8 month old I was suffering with cervical cancer, in fact I was scheduling a hysterectomy when I found out the news (which wasn't supposed to be able to happen:noway: ) ANYWAY- even though everything still looks clean the Dr has scheduled my hysterectomy for NEXT FRIDAY!!! OMG, it is soooo soon:ohwell: . We know the cancer cells have a huge chance (like 80%+) of returning and I guess I'd rather go ahead and get it over with and be recovered by the holidays. Here's my questions:
    1. Anyone else been through a hysterectomy and how did it affect you and your weight? What about recovery time until I can start excersizing again?
    2. Anyone been through ANY kind of surgery since starting with MFP and how did it affect you?
    3. Any words of wisdom to keep me from popping percoset for weeks and blowing up like a balloon!!
    Thanks for any and all of you help!!!!!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Wow, can't offer any advice, but I do want to wish you luck...and keep us posted!:flowerforyou:
  • jree435
    jree435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First I'll definietly be keeping you and your family in my prayers

2nd or two-th as a friend of mine says, the type of surgery your having effect how your body responds if you are having a partial hys - you get to keep your ovaries and cervix, you're body will continue to produce some of it's on estrogen you won't be fully menopausal right away and you may still go through "the change" later. If you have a full hys you will be menopausal instantly and your body will react as such.

Exercise and eating right wil always be the key but you will most likely gain some weight.

I don't know if you and your doctor have discussed hormone replacement therapy or supliments or natural therapies to help ease the systoms of hystorectomy.

Check out www.hystersisters.com for discussion groups support information and answers

God be with you in this trying time
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, BTW i get to keep my ovaries but will lose my cervix, uterus and tubes. No hormones are supposed to be needed (unless of sourse they find something while they are in there) the surgery is going to be laproscopic (sp?) so no huge incision atleast - even though I have already had 3 Csections.:tongue:
  • dessylady
    Options
    Hi, I have had a complete HYS about 10 years ago. I had them take my ovaries because the scare of ovarian cancer. I used the "Patch" for years and it worked great. It's a small bandage like patch you put on your stomach or hip and change it 2 times a week. That controlled symptoms of menapause. All in all it was great. I put it off for about 5 years and suffered because I was one of those who had many years of infertility and just couldn't bring myself to have it done. Even after 2 beautiful children. One of my children is Down Syndrome. But then it got so bad I had it done and it was the best thing I have ever done. It will take a little while for you to get back up to speed. But be sure to listen to your doctor about exercise you don't want to mess anything in there up. So be careful but you can always walk they like you to do that. And weight will stay off if you keep that up. I know, I've lost 44.5 pounds walking in about 6 months. And of course watch out for "THE FOOD" it's a killer. :sad: Just stay out of the kitchen which is the hardest for me!:cry: But good luck and you will feel great once it's all healed and you don't have to worry from month the month. :flowerforyou:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I think you are doing the right thing. If I had even the slightest chance of getting ovarian cancer I would have the hysterectomy in a heartbeat. At least you got a precious little girl before you had it done. God Bless and I will be praying for you. I lost my mom to Breast cancer and I wouldnt wish cancer on anyone. Good Luck to you.

Connie
  • Laynee
    Laynee Posts: 45
    Options
    I just had laparoscopic surgery exactly two weeks ago to remove both ovaries (endometriosis, multiple cysts), but got to keep the rest, the opposite of what you are having done. Anyway, after a week I was back to walking (nothing too strenuous) and I'm healing well. Most meds make me sick including anesthesia so they gave me anti-nausea IV meds which did the trick. Also told me to drink tons of water the day before surgery to help with that too. I took one Percocet for the hour ride home and then took Ibuprofen (800) only after that because Percocet makes me sick too. I did fine with the Ibuprofen for pain control. I actually was living with severe pain for two years and now after surgery most of it's gone!

As far as MFP, I took a few weeks off through surgery and recovery since ladies in my church were making meals for us and I just wasn't up to recording things. My weight has stayed the same with no loss or gain for the past month or so but now I'm back to MFP and hope to start losing again.

Laparoscopic really isn't too bad and if you have to have surgery it's the way to go! I hope you do well with your surgery and recovery. Prayers will be going up for you.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i had the same as you are having about 9 yrs ago. recovery for me was 6 weeks. no lifting over 10 lbs. i also had a bladder tack done too. everyone is so different when it comes to things like this.
    just put things on the back burner and keep your attention to healing. that is what is most important.
    good luck.