Replies

• saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Depends - did you break a sweat?
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Well, I've always cleaned my house and didn't lose any weight, so I don't count my normal, daily activities. Some folks do, though.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Not imo. Unless you are doing major cleaning (like top to bottom, once a year spring cleaning, where you're doing windows, things you don't normally do day to day).
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I figure that if cleaning counted then I would never have needed MFP......I would have already been a skeleton LOL!! I don't count anything that doesn't make me break a sweat for at least 30 min.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    If I break a sweat (like scrubbing the floors), I'll add it. I clean everyday (3 kids) but I still got fat. So I don't add those every day things.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you have your activity level set to sedentary, then you can count some of it. I think MFP gives a really high burn estimate, so I tend to only count half of my time, and I don't count the time I spent standing in the kitchen washing dishes or other stationary activities. But I do count for vacuuming, picking up all the toys off the floor (that's a lot of bending!), mopping, sweeping the garage, that kind of thing. Because it does burn calories. But like I said, I'm pretty sure MFP estimates high, so I don't count all of my time. Some people on here say they don't count it because they were doign that stuff when they gained weight, so clearly it didn't help -- but I disagree with that. A lot of people on here were fairly active and overweight. Does that mean they shouldn't count their walk around the block? No. Because now your caloric intake is different.

At the end of the day, it's really up to you. I've lost 17 lbs and I count housework. A lot of people have been successful and don't count it. Do what works for you.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My motto is if I did it before, and it didn't help me get skinny, it won't now
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's listed under cardio.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I count it. I don't count the days when I clean up the kitchen, pick up the toys...ect BUT I count the days when I scrub, sweep, mop, vacuum and break a sweat.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't count daily activities.

Lifting weights, cardio, and sports I count.
    Everything else, it's kind of ridiculous to try to give myself credit for it, just so I can eat more food.

Could lead to a clean house tho." I'm really hungry, I'f I vacuum I can eat a snack"
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I only log it if I am going above and beyond my normal daily/weekly routines. :)
  • lilscotslass
    Options
    I do, as I clean so rarely and don't move much on a day to day basis. So anything that's me moving I tend to count as exercise.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I don't count my normal everyday activities.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I broke a sweat in my sleep last night as the air temperature was warmer than expected, I left my heater running, and the down comforter is still on my bed. Should I count this since I sweated A LOT!?
  • Chrissyvk
    Options
    Depends. If you have your activity level set to sedentary, then you can count some of it. I think MFP gives a really high burn estimate, so I tend to only count half of my time, and I don't count the time I spent standing in the kitchen washing dishes or other stationary activities. But I do count for vacuuming, picking up all the toys off the floor (that's a lot of bending!), mopping, sweeping the garage, that kind of thing. Because it does burn calories. But like I said, I'm pretty sure MFP estimates high, so I don't count all of my time. Some people on here say they don't count it because they were doign that stuff when they gained weight, so clearly it didn't help -- but I disagree with that. A lot of people on here were fairly active and overweight. Does that mean they shouldn't count their walk around the block? No. Because now your caloric intake is different.

I totally agree with this reply. I count it, because I sit on my butt all day at work.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great question, one I asked myself. I do not count it though as I see it as regular activity such as sleeping (apparently we do burn calories as we sleep).
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,741 Member
    Options
    I broke a sweat in my sleep last night as the air temperature was warmer than expected, I left my heater running, and the down comforter is still on my bed. Should I count this since I sweated A LOT!?
    Only if I get to count my hot flashes.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I'd like to know this myself. I do this for a living- and I don't stop moving once I get started, which varies from 4 1/2 hrs. to 6- and I break a sweat.
    But when I clean around my own house, I never clean the same way.
    My doctor told me I can't count my work as exercise because my body is used to that level of activity.
    I'm going to see if he's right- now that I'm learning to eat CORRECTLY and not skip meals- which I've done all my life.
  • 2dloser
    2dloser Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say that vacuuming counts. My Kirby Vacuum cleaner is quite heavy and when I had surgery, they told me not to vacuum because I needed to be careful on my tummy muscles. I have worked up a sweat lugging that thing around.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I also disagree with the notion that you can only count it if you work up a sweat. If it's cool in your house, you won't sweat, even if you're working hard. Some people don't sweat anyway. I personally don't sweat for the first 15 minutes of a hard workout (and I mean HARD), and then I start to pour. But I'm still burning calories for those 15 minutes. If you're moving, you're burning. It might be a small burn, but it's happening.