health benefits of cayenne pepper

Options
hi. Does anyone know what the recommended amount is if I take the spice directly??

Replies

• Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The only experience of Cayenne Pepper I've had is one of my best friend's doing a ridiculous "diet" where she had nothing but glasses of water with cayenne pepper and a bit of maple syrup in it.....FOR A WEEK AND A HALF! No food!! She just drank that!

I've never seen someone more grumpy and snappy, and she looked so drained and tired. She lost a stone in a week but, of course, she put it straight back on as soon as she started eating normally again....she just starved herself for a week and a half!

Anyway......that doesnt really help you, but I thought I'd share haha! x
  • Sallerina84
    Options
    The only experience of Cayenne Pepper I've had is one of my best friend's doing a ridiculous "diet" where she had nothing but glasses of water with cayenne pepper and a bit of maple syrup in it.....FOR A WEEK AND A HALF! No food!! She just drank that!

I've never seen someone more grumpy and snappy, and she looked so drained and tired. She lost a stone in a week but, of course, she put it straight back on as soon as she started eating normally again....she just starved herself for a week and a half!

• Jacrech
    Jacrech Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thats gold!!!

...and certAinly not what I had in mind. Apparently cayenne pepper a super good but I'm just not sure how much to have, especially as it's extremely spicy...
  • Sallerina84
    Options
    after having a bit of a google on this, it seems adding 1/4 of a teaspoon to water and just gulping it down is the most common way of taking it......or sprinkling a bit on top of food.

you can also apparently get cayenne pepper capsules you just swallow.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    It's very healthy for squirrels. I sprinkle it in the garden; it keeps them from eating the flowers. Keeps my wife from going double deuce bozo on 'em.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Might have a very slight thermogenic affect on your body. But not enough to cause real weight loss results.

But pretend you didn't read that, and placebo effect might make you think you're dropping weight.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I would get the capsules if you're looking to use it as a supplement. Geez, you don't want to burn your lips off.

I use it in cooking, but only a little bit. Last night I put too much on my dinner and it was very effective at getting me to eat less because my mouth was on fire and I had to give up on finishing my meal. :laugh:
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options

This is called the Master Cleanse - I have a friend who tried it. You're actually supposed to do it for 30 days, but I don't think she ever made it past a week or so.
    Basically you consume nothing other than lemon water sweetened with a certain kind of maple syrup with cayenne pepper added. then at night you can have a laxative tea - as if that would be necessary after having nothing but lemon and cayenne pepper... *shakes head* where do people come up with this stuff?
  • Sallerina84
    Options
    This is called the Master Cleanse - I have a friend who tried it. You're actually supposed to do it for 30 days, but I don't think she ever made it past a week or so.
    Basically you consume nothing other than lemon water sweetened with a certain kind of maple syrup with cayenne pepper added. then at night you can have a laxative tea - as if that would be necessary after having nothing but lemon and cayenne pepper... *shakes head* where do people come up with this stuff?

It's just absolute madness isn't it!

It's glorified starvation....and the weight is never going to stay off!

30 days?! I would have thought you'd be dead if you did that! What is it they say, you can survive 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food..........so doing that for 30 days with just the tiniest bits of "food" in the water is actually putting you close to death! How stupid!

I think I'll stick to plodding along steadily losing weight thank you! haha x