Ladies! Scared of birth control?!

Options
Hi ladies,
I recently had a baby and have been doing great with my weight loss so far, with huge help from MFP. I've been considering going back on birth control but have heard so much about it causing weight gain or preventing weight loss. I never really noticed before because I wasn't paying that much attention. Of course now, every pound counts! Has anyone else experienced this or do I have nothing to worry about?

Replies

• xtina31
    xtina31 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have heard this too. BC caused a friend of mine to gain 8lbs and no matter how hard this girl worked out, they stayed. I suggest any method beside the pill!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of birth control
    Suggest talking to your primary care provider about your concerns
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby in January and went back on the "mini-pill" in February. It's a progesterone only pill. I haven't had any trouble continuing to lose the weight, but I am also breast feeding.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Another MFP just posted the same concern. This is what I replied:

From what I have read weight gain happens for four reasons with birth control. Water retention, increased appetite, increased estrogen, and insulin resistance. As long as you are following a specific caloric diet then the increased appetite reason will only be a nuisance, as opposed to a cause for weight gain (because you will control your urges and not indulge :)). Increase your water intake for the first couple of months to help your kidneys out with the water factor. Ask your doctor for a bc with low estrogen. Lastly, if you still end up gaining a few pounds then you may be one of the few that is susceptible to insulin resistance. In this case you would want to adopt a low carb diet if those few pounds are truly a bother. Good luck!!
  • fullerlj
    fullerlj Posts: 25
    Options
    My doc told me that birth control does not make you gain weight....giving in to the cravings that you may get as a result of the BC will. It makes sense...so just keep your diet in check and stay focused with your workouts!
    ........ and maybe eat 100 cals. less a day just to be on the safe side. :tongue:
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    No probs here.........I did switch to a low hormone one and it has not caused a single issue.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm on BC pills and I haven't had any problem losing weight... so far. I don't know if it's because I'm weird... or because my pills don't effect me that way... or if the whole thing is just a bunch of nonsense. But I, myself, am not too concerned about being on the pill. I'd rather that than an unplanned pregnancy. And I'll keep losing inches no matter what, so I'm good. Do what you feel is right... and talk to your dr. They should have info on side effects and whatnot and should be able to help you choose something that will work for you.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Research has shown that certain types do gain weight. I was on Depo and RETAINED WATER like crazy!!! It was horrible. Since then, it's been a year, and I've been on two different types of pills. The latest one I'm on I enjoy much better.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    when i was on BC i felt that i didn't gain any weight. i was on the generic version of Ortho tri Cyclen. but now i am over 35 and a smoker so i cannot be on bc. but the Mirena is great for BC i hear and u can leave it in for up to 5 years! there is no weight issues as a side effect there.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of the same thing when I had my son a year ago. But my doctor recommended Implanon (a small, matchstick sized rod they insert into your arm). It is good for 3 years of BC and I have had ZERO side effects from it (other than not having a period, which is awesome!!) So I highly recommend it! You can find out a lot more about it on their website (implanon.com).

I must add too that I have heard horror stories of weight gain from the BC shots/injections. And also, my doctor's office (which has 5 OBGYNs) will not administer the Mirena because their patients have had so many negative side effects from it (one being weight gain).
  • Flocker1979
    Options
    No probs here.........I did switch to a low hormone one and it has not caused a single issue.

On the low hormone did you have a lot of trouble with bleeding? (sorry, I know that's gross). I was only off AF for five days a month for the 6 months I was on it! It was awful!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    iv had this problems with 4 different pills that iv tried and tested and the first one was a mini pill and i lost weight on it, but it also made me mental and an emotional wreck and angry and all sorts! so i came off that, then went onto 3 other ones and slowly found my boobs got bigger, as did my apetite and then my waistline and *kitten* caught up.

Im a huge fan on the pill, i like that i can be in control of it, so i went back to my docs and was given a new pill which is meant to have zero side affects, its pricey because in the uk we dont have to pay for oral contraception but this one isnt free but i have not had any more weight gain and im not craving and im not emotional and i feel normal again. and im slowly on the way to losing the weight i gained. I dont blame the pill for my weight gain because i blame the fact that i moved in with my boyfriend and i just ate alot but the previous ones certainly gave me an apetite.

i think you need to experience a few different ones before you find the right one for you :o)
  • jessicamichalski
    Options
    I was on bc for 5 years and never gained weight because of it...I was on 2 different pills...I've heard the depo shot does cause weight gain, but I would definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns!! he/she will help you find a good bc for your goals..there are so many out there that you can find one that's best for you...and if you try one and don't like it, you can definitely switch!!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    when i was on BC i felt that i didn't gain any weight. i was on the generic version of Ortho tri Cyclen. but now i am over 35 and a smoker so i cannot be on bc. but the Mirena is great for BC i hear and u can leave it in for up to 5 years! there is no weight issues as a side effect there.
    Mirena is a fabulous alternative, it has only local hormones so there is no systemic response.
    If you can have a baby, you can use the IUD.
    Its also easy to manage, it gets put in and you can basically not worry about it until its time to come out...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to your doc about your concerns. He/She will know the right BC to put you on (there are a few others besides the pill) and which has the least likelyhood of weight gain and/or how to best counteract that side effect.
  • evseqvar
    evseqvar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well almost 10 yrs ago I took bc for only 6 months, and it was enough to messed up my hormones and eventually my weight problems started to float. So as for me goes I'll never do it again! It may work different from person to person but it still have risks even if they you no..
  • lhuber1105
    lhuber1105 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I never really had any problems with "pill" birth control but I would never , ever recommend the Depo shot--I gained 35 lbs with that and my doctor contributed most if not all of it to the shot--sad thing was after taking the shot for so long found out I couldn't get pregnant on my own and it was pretty much worthless. good luck!
  • SCruz409
    SCruz409 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been on the pill off and on for 10 yrs. I've also had 2 children. The only time I ever really notice weight gain is when I start taking it again after being off for a while, most likely due to water retention and the flucuation in hormones but it went away. I believe it also may be related to other factors such as whether or not you smoke. However, everyone is different. I would just monitor the weight closely and keep doing what you're doing.

Regardless of what other people say do not eat less. Your body needs nutrients to give you the energy to burn calories.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    It's so dependent on your own body. I never had any issues.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Birth control tends to lead to weight gain, but not cause it. It can increase your appetite - the increase in calories is what causes the weight gain, not the birth control itself.

I'm on the pill and lost 50lbs.