Weight gain but not eating 3500 calories

Options
I am confused. How can you gain weight if you do not eat 3500 calories and work out? Yesterday I ate about 1400 calories and also worked out. I gained a 1lb. Is it muscle that I am gaining? Water?? How does this happen?

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's water. You are taking in too much sodium, which will make you retain water.

I read some where on here that if your calorie goal is 1200 call then you should adjust your sodium down to 1500mg.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I find it's because my body doesn't understand basic math. And I can retain water like no one else. And it's normal for me to fluctuate several pounds during any given week. It's frustrating, I know.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    Is this 1lb gain in a day? Because that could be ANYTHING. Most probably water retention but there are so many possible factors... I used to weigh myself like 3 times a day out of habit (or craziness) and now I only do it once a week, if that, and early in the morning before I eat/drink anything.

Don't stress, it'll probably disappear tomorrow.
  • kkruse08
    kkruse08 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it could be muscle? i have always been told that muscle weighs more than fat so i am sure that is part of it.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Is this 1lb gain in a day? Because that could be ANYTHING. Most probably water retention but there are so many possible factors... I used to weigh myself like 3 times a day out of habit (or craziness) and now I only do it once a week, if that, and early in the morning before I eat/drink anything.

Don't stress, it'll probably disappear tomorrow.

my thoughts exactly. Great point!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Water for sure.

You won't gain more than a pound or two of fat in an entire week unless you're eating terribly wrong.
    And muscle takes much much longer to build.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water to avoid the retention.
    Sodium isn't much of an issue if you're properly hydrated.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Qarol - LMAO!
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    It could be that you are nearing your time of the month.

Wait it out...and weigh yourself no more than once a week -- it's less frustrating that way.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    1 lb =1 lb.So 1lb muscle=1 lb fat................ Make sure you eat your exercise cals, try to cancel out, or eat all your cals as possible. Remeber to watch your sodium, in processed foods. But hopefully its just water weight....
  • JohnnyPolo23
    Options
    Honestly, your best bet is to pick one day out of the week to weigh yourself and stick to it. Doing it that way will be more accurate because your body will fluctuate throughout the week and this will give you a baseline. I, myself, weigh myself every Saturday morning upon waking up.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    It's water, this is why IMO it's better to weigh no more than once a week. Stay on track with your eating and exercise and you will lose, over the long run.
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Last week i gained 2.5lbs over night and i can tell you i did not eat an extra 8000 calories. Females especially fluctuate a lot because of our varying hormone levels. While its tempting I would not weigh your self everyday instead weigh yourself once a week (maybe twice) at the same time each time. This will give you a much more realistic view of your weight loss. I would also drink lots of water daily to help regulate your water retention. Good luck!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above - lots of factors. Ditch the scale and get a tape measure!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Muscles retain water to repair themselves so often after a hard or different workout (using different muscles/groups than normal) you will retain water.

Don't weigh yourself everyday. If you do, then DON'T compare the numbers daily- compare them weekly or record your high and low of the week. Weight fluctuates quite a bit- watch your range rather than one specific number.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above - lots of factors. Ditch the scale and get a tape measure!

Great answer.
    I use the mirror more than the scale.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on day-to-day weight, even week-to-week weight can be influenced by water weights and countless other factors. I usually gauge my success by comparing my month-to-month results.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's water. You are taking in too much sodium, which will make you retain water.

I read some where on here that if your calorie goal is 1200 call then you should adjust your sodium down to 1500mg.
    Its not a question of how many calories you eat, but how much water you drink, and how much you sweat. In the average person two healthy kidneys need one liter f water to remove one gram of sodium. Sweating however removes it much more efficiently. 1500mg is not a maximum, like all recomended daily values it is the bare minimun the average person needs to prevent dificiency disease.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I gain and lose a pound or two constantly and I do weigh in every morning. The main thing is I am down 10 pounds since starting myfitnesspal in mid January - I really think it is just water or plain balancing of prior day's intake and activity.

Let us know when you drop a pound of two. I tend to "drop" 2 at once, then it fluctuates back and forth a pound or two, then I drop 2 more in about 2 weeks from prior low.

Hang in there, many of us have similar "water" gains. I do try to watch the sodium too.
  • mjmtxk
    mjmtxk Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm by NO MEANS an expert but there are several factors that could be in play.

1. What you are eating (foods that are high carb vs low carb), High protein vs low protein. Protein tells your body that "times are good" or "hunting is good", it is a signal to burn fat. Low protein tells your body the opposite.
    2. Your metabolism (not everyone's is the same). The #'s are on here are general guidelines. My wife has a sluggish metabolism, which means she has to work harder than the #'s on here suggest. I have a great metabolism. I'm only fat because I've been lazy. I can eat cheeseburgers and lose weight. I've simply OVER eaten. This can be a huge factor! Research ways to increase your metabolism.
    3. Obviously your type and amount of exercise can play a role. Sometimes you are adding muscle. Sometimes we spend so much time on cardio, thinking cardio is a guaranteed weight loss and it isn't. Studies have shown that short bursts of intense cardio followed by slower cardio, and repeating that are FAR more effective at ramping up your metabolism and producing weight loss. Google things like interval training or PACE program. Good places to learn the basics.

Keep in mind, I'm a fat man who has learned a lot but not always put what he knows into practice. I offer my advice in the spirit of trying to help. I don't claim to be an expert. Come back in a year, maybe then I'll be a "success story". ;-)

Being a lady you will also have issues that I or a man won't obviously face. As others have written, water retention, etc. can be among those. Sometimes hormonal issues are HUGE factors in women having difficulty losing weight. Praying the best for you! Hang in there. Keep chipping away at it till you find what works for your body. Even if you don't yet see the results on the scale, what you are doing is good for your health and your quality of life. When you figure out your unique body's needs, the weight loss will come. Best of luck!

Micah "The Heavy Revy"
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Even if you ignore biological factors, scales really arn't that accurate. You can loose a pound or two just by standing differently. If your going to weigh yourself everyday than I highly recoment excel, punch your weights and dates into a spread sheet than you can map the long term changes.