-1/4 of your plate should be protein

-1/4 should be grainy/starchy veggies

-1/2 should be veggies & /or fruit

What do you guys & ladys think?

Replies

• Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't know that I eat 1/4 of grains and starches... maybe I do though. I guess I hadn't really thought too much about that. I'll pay more attention. Great post. I'm definitely a visual person.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I saw something similar to this in my Dr's office. I've been trying to follow it ... Veggies is easy, it's control my meat/protein portions. I love my meat!! :)
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Your protein should be the size of your hand (from botton of palm to your fingertips,) your carbs/starch should be the size of your fist, and your veggies should be 2 handfuls...that's what i heard anyway. :) And i've come to find that it works!
  • theraylene
    theraylene Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am using this idea---AND I got smaller plates!

Trying to eat HALF of my daily food as raw fruits or raw veggies.....or lightly cooked (asparagus, for example). I loathe the counting of calories--but I can see what half of something is easily, and on the go.

So far, so good.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Careful of consuming too much fruit, I wouldn't have 1/2 a plate of it personally. You can still gain from excess in any area, even if it is considered "healthy" food.
    You may not be consuming enough carbs by only getting them from veggies as well, you need complex carbs as well in your plan. Just keep in mind that "everything in moderation" is the key . . . well except for veggies . . . go crazy on those!
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what my nutritionist said. 1/2 salad or vegetables; 1/4 carbs; and the protein (chicken,etc.)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    That is essentially how we eat - however be careful that your 'starches' are really wholesome grains. We don't always have a wholesome grain or starch at every meal, but when we do it's always something healthy such as brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, etc. The important thing is to make sure you get in the servings of protein and vegetables - and to ensure those are healthy portion sizes and prepared in a healthy manner. For example, broccoli is great for you but smothering it in butter or cheese actually has a negative effect.

If you are looking for some good information on it, try looking up The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. You can probably get it at the library.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    -1/4 of your plate should be protein

-1/4 should be grainy/starchy veggies

-1/2 should be veggies & /or fruit

I just started a weight loss program at church. And just last night we talked about that. That is what your plate should look like. And using smaller plates are a good idea too. But with the smaller plate, I have to spread my food out, so it looks like more. Lol. Or make it look really pretty with a nicer plate or garnishing.