I need low cholesteral meals

Options
b00b0084
b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
I have slightly high cholesteral and have for a very long time. Does anyone one know any meals I can cook to help lowr my cholesteral?

Replies

• mhoch
    mhoch Posts: 50
    Options
    Anything vegan. "The answer is simple: Animals make cholesterol. So anything that was an animal, or came from an animal, has cholesterol in it. Beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, dairy, and eggs are full of cholesterol.

A vegan diet, which is a diet without animal products, is cholesterol-free. And cutting back on animal product consumption, or better yet, following a vegan diet, will lower cholesterol." Took that from a heart doc's blog. Look online for soups, sandwhiches, pasta, etc recipes. Ive been vegan for years and eat really good meals all the time. Definitely look into it.

Good luck in finding something new!
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    HI, when I started my Cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides were really high..i just went on Low Fat/low cholesterol diet. Have cut out red meat from my diet, eat chicken breast, turkey cutlets, and alot of fish , mainly salmon. Nothing fried, no oils except a drizzle of EVOO every now and then. Lots of fiber rich food, oatmeal, fresh fruits and veggies.
    All my dairy products are fat free, i have learned to read labels :( I keep my fat intake to under 30Gr a day..my levels now are all in normal range,. and i dropped 54 lbs too :):)

Good Luck :)
  • b00b0084
    Options
    @mhoch: Thank you for the tip. My only problem is I am such a seriously picky eatter that I am afraid to try new things just because of how it looks or smells. But I will try to add in a vegan meal or so a week until I get used to it.
    @luly: I am not a big red meat eater to begin with. My problem is sweets. I have a horrible sweet tooth, but thank you so much for the tip.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Just avoid any meat and any eggs.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    @skinnyhopes I read this as Im eatting and omelette lol
  • Dawn111567
    Options
    Eggs have really gotten a bad rap as being a high cholesterol food. I found this information to explain because I knew I would not be able to be able to get it across clearly in written form:

Number One: The cholesterol in eggs has virtually no effect on the cholesterol in your blood.

Number Two: The fat in the egg yolk is mostly monounsaturated fat, the same kind found in olive oil. Yes, you heard that right. Of the 5.3 grams of total fat in one large egg, only 1.6 grams are saturated.

Number Three: Many of the nutrients that make eggs so incredibly healthy are found in the yolk. Examples: Lutein and zeaxanthin, two members of the carotenoid family that are beneficial for eye health. The yolk also contains choline, which is important for brain health -- and vitamin D.

The idea that eating eggs is bad for your heart is a myth. No study has linked egg eating to greater risk of heart disease. In fact, quite the opposite. According to an article from Harvard Health (a publication of Harvard Medical School), "The only large study to look at the impact of egg consumption on heart disease ... found no connection between the two."

Research has also shown that eggs eaten at the start of the day can reduce your daily calorie intake, prevent snacking between meals and keep you satisfied.

However, not all eggs are created equal. Stay away from scrambled eggs at open buffets. While the cholesterol in eggs poses no real harm to you, when that cholesterol is "scrambled" and then exposed to air and oxygen for a long time (like on an open buffet), it becomes damaged. That's not something you really want in your body. Better to poach, soft or hard boil. If you do scramble eggs, eat them quickly and don't let them sit around all day long.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    See, this is the problem with medical advice on a message board - you're going to get about 20 different opinions and none of them are going to be the same....

Talk to your doctor and a nutritionist/dietician about what you should be eating to help lower your cholesterol.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Definately do some reasearch.
    Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on blood levels.

I eat several eggs a day and haven't had any trouble.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    During the last two years, we have changed our eating habits and one reason is my partner's cholesterol. We have gotten him from sky-high to normal via diet.

He avoids butter/margarine but uses olive oil occasionally. He uses Soy Milk instead of regular. He eats veggie cheese instead of real cheese. He limits fried foods and we do not eat any fast food. We rarely eat processed food and when we do, it's 100% natural and often, organic. He exercises and monitors his portions (ok, I monitor them more than he does :wink: ). He eats Oatmeal for breakfast nearly every morning (steel cut, unsweetened, with real fruit). He takes fish oil capsules. His usual afternoon snack is almonds (1 handful). And he eats lots of veggies and fish.

He still eats eggs and red meat. Just not every day.

That's it really.

Mayo Clinic on Cholesterol levels - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002/NSECTIONGROUP=2