hard to eat all daily calories...HELP!!

Options
Right my daily cal allowance is 1310. Ive had alot today already which should leave me just over 800 for the evening including my dinner. BUT because ive burned off calories exercising this has been added to my allowance again and im back up to almost my whole daily allowance...how on earth are you meant to eat your normal allowance PLUS the extra you have gained by burning them off??? ive seen alot of people saying you should eat them all plus extra allowed for exercise, but this seems impossible to me and i thought you had to burn them off to loose the weight...not eat them again...im very confused...HELP!!! :-S

Replies

• innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    ohhh tell me about it, it is sooo difficult, but i try and include a few glasses of milk, and have a few extra treats, you deserve it for working so hard.
    Xx
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary. I eat 1600 or so a day and I've found a few items that are filling and give you a good bang for your calories. I like protein bars, protein shakes, english muffins, Peanut Butter (oh how I love PB!), and soy milk.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Try ditching diet foods, and eat the less processed equivalents?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you're having trouble hitting 1200 cals for the day.
    What does your daily diet look like?

When I'm having trouble hitting my daily numbers I opt for skim milk or peanut butter. Quick and easy cals.
    But I'd look at your diet first and see if there are gaps that need to be filled.
  • katy_jane
    Options
    I struggle with this too!

But the other day i decided to buy a Trail Mix of dried fruit, seeds and nuts. Great nutritional value, tasty snack, and full of calories!

:)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Try ditching diet foods, and eat the less processed equivalents?

Are you eating enough?

You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Add peanut butter, eat greek yogurt, have some protien shakes/bars throughout the day, and some healthy fats, such as olive oil and avacado. That should boost up your calories a bit!!!!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Whole foods tend to have more calories and will keep you full longer. Also things like nuts, cheeses, etc. contain healthy fats and calories and will help you to remain satisified. If you just can't eat all of your calories today, don't sweat it. You may go over on another day. Finally, you can treat yourself. This is supposed to be a lifestyle. If you intend for your lifestyle to never contain treats that's fine. But, me personally, I "need" junk food once in a while. 1/2 cup of icecream on occasion is okay and will use up calories that you worked hard to get.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    MFP works out how many calories you burn at sedentary or lightly active or whatever you put in, and then if you want to lose 1 pound a week it takes 500 calories off that day, so if you normally burn 1800 your goal is 1300. So you eat 1300 but then say you have a work out of 300 which then puts your net at 1000(which is bad and means youur body thinks its starving as its under 1200) so you have to eat back the 300 calories that you burnt to continue losing that 1 lb a week. Your net on your homepage should be roughly the same number as your goal.
    Xx
  • darconnor
    darconnor Posts: 49
    Options
    Add in some high nutrition, high good fat items: avocado, nuts, almond milk, peanut butter (someone already suggsted PB), real cheese crumbles/slices/string.
  • Kirsty36
    Kirsty36 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't drop below 1310 you're good. Less than 1310 and your body goes into "starvation mode" where it will start storing fat instead of burning it. As far as eating the additional 800 calories that you burned from working out... I do not agree with this so much. Simply put, you lose weight by burning more calories than you consume each day. So if you look at it this way, roughly 1lb = 3500 calories, if you are burning 800 calories a day and sticking to 1310 calorie diet, then in approx 5 days you will lose a pound. The reason you see people saying eat your daily allowance of calories as well as the ones your burned is because your body is using more energy on the days you work out than the days you do not. It seems to me, if you are trying to maintain your weight, to go ahead and eat those additional 800 calories, but if your goal is weight loss... don't eat them!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I used to to feel this way, but exercise more and your appetite will pick up.
  • kimmymcd85
    Options
    After reading all the posts i actually get how it works now!! thank you to everyone who has suggested food options & explained how this MFP works! i will get the jar of peanut butter out, stick a couple of slices in the toaster & get the kettle on!! that should boost it up a little!!! I dont think i am eating enough to loose weight, i never have!! i do struggle to keep on eating & some days i can go from when i wake up to 7pm when i should be having tea & not eat a thing. Bad for ya body bad for motabolism and deffo why i put weight on & cant keep off the few pounds i manage to loose. right im off to the kitchen!!! :-)