Weights?

Options
I have 1.5, 3 and 15 pound weights. I want to use them to help me tone up, don't wanna look like a body builder just toned. But I have no idea where to start with them. Are there any DVDs, netflix or online workouts for this? I seriously do not even know where to start with this.

Replies

• hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There is no way you are going to look like a body builder with weights like that! Body builders have to lift heavy weights and have a very controlled eating plan to be able to build muscle the way they do. A small set of hand weights will not cause you to look bulky.

I am sure there are plenty of free workouts on Youtube. If you want to keep it really simple to start with do squats with a shoulder press, squat down and when you go back up press your arms up simple yet effective. You can also do lunges and bicep curls the same way. For triceps stand with feet hip distance apart and hold the heavier weight in both hands behind your head and and push up. A few starter exercises. You can also get ideas from fitness magazines.

Good luck!
  • mizzamy23
    Options
    ur so in my situation. i just bought jillian michaels shred the weight "the biggest loser" edition its weight training it kicks but
    :wink: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You can google some excercises.

1. You won't look like a bodybuilder. It takes years to build muscle, requiring heavy lifting, and a proper diet. So lift away, you won't get bulky, its a common misconception women have.
    2. Tone comes from low bodyfat percentage allowing your muscles to be visible. Lifting will help, but an overall loss in weight and decrease in BF percentage is key here.

Okay now to answer your question:
    DB lateral raises (work your shoulders, anterior delts mainly)
    DB curls to work your biceps
    Pushups to work your chest and triceps (can do knee pushups or some variation)
    Planks (work core muscles)
    Front Raise (hits your shoulders, and your lats too I believe)
    Bodyweight Squats

Google those and shoot me a message if you have any questions. Theres a good start.
  • asiedler806
    asiedler806 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know that you dont want to strain yourself, when you first start. You should feel comfortable lifting them, but atleast feel a little resistance.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    There is no way you are going to look like a body builder with weights like that! Body builders have to lift heavy weights and have a very controlled eating plan to be able to build muscle the way they do. A small set of hand weights will not cause you to look bulky.

I know these weights will not make me look like a body builder. I just wanted to go ahead and declare that so I would not get a million replies about how those are too small, etc.
  • sassylilmama
    Options
    You can google some excercises.

1. You won't look like a bodybuilder. It takes years to build muscle, requiring heavy lifting, and a proper diet. So lift away, you won't get bulky, its a common misconception women have.
    2. Tone comes from low bodyfat percentage allowing your muscles to be visible. Lifting will help, but an overall loss in weight and decrease in BF percentage is key here.

Okay now to answer your question:
    DB lateral raises (work your shoulders, anterior delts mainly)
    DB curls to work your biceps
    Pushups to work your chest and triceps (can do knee pushups or some variation)
    Planks (work core muscles)
    Front Raise (hits your shoulders, and your lats too I believe)
    Bodyweight Squats

Google those and shoot me a message if you have any questions. Theres a good start.

Thanks for the info
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You're weights aren't too small at all they are a good starting point for someone who is new to weight lifting. There are lots of things you can do with the various weights you have that will make you feel like you've lifted much heavier weights. You want to be slightly sore the day or two after not in so much pain you can't move.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You're weights aren't too small at all they are a good starting point for someone who is new to weight lifting. There are lots of things you can do with the various weights you have that will make you feel like you've lifted much heavier weights. You want to be slightly sore the day or two after not in so much pain you can't move.

True.
    It would be nice to have 5, 7.5, or 10.
    Because many of the excercises I listed, 15 would probably be too heavy at first, while 3 is going to be rather light. I guess start with the 3 pounders and then work up to 5 or 10.
  • sassylilmama
    Options
    I will look into some different weights. Those are just what I already have on hand.