Eating and exercise

Options
So I assume there has been a thread on this before. Should I eat my dinner then go work out or work out then eat dinner?
Which works better for weightloss. I've been eating then working out but after seeing some threads I wonder if it should switch

Replies

• gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't believe timing matters as long as you don't eat too close to the workout and can't get a good workout because you are full and get a cramp...
  • AmyB2011
    AmyB2011 Posts: 48
    Options
    Personally, I always workout first then I come home and shower etc before finally eating dinner. But i'm sure everybody is different, you just have to find a good pattern for you. :smile:
  • blmoore21
    Options
    I think it's really a question of having "fuel" for your workout. I like to workout in the mid-afternoon, around 4-5pm and that's too early for dinner, but late enough after lunch. Make sure whatever meal you eat before and after replenishes what you burned. If you're doing strenght training, give your muscles some protein to help rebuild. If you're doing mainly cardio, make sure you have good carbs to keep your energy level high. It's a big of an art, but really it's a question of doing what's most comfortable and time-friendly for you!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I don't know that it really matters but I personally perfer eating my meal after a workout & then shower
    (I tend to feel yucky & crampy if eat before) although I have ate a small snack before
    (like a banana or protein bar). You just have to find what works best for you:smile:
  • mizzamy23
    Options
    i always eat dinner around 5, 530 then give myself an hour and then workout, if u workout 2 soon after eating you will puke....trust me its happened to me....good luck:wink:
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different opinions on this. Some say that if you dont eat, you burn more stored fat. I dont know if that is true, but I know that in order for me to have a good workout with lots of energy, I need to have something in my belly. I usually eat lunch around 12:30ish then have a snack around 3:00ish (anything, apple, crackers and laughing cow cheese, popcorn, etc...) and then I work out at 4:00. After that I come home and eat dinner. There were a few times when i worked out on an empty stomach and I actually got light headed and shaky after 20 minutes of cardio. I couldnt even finish my workout, so I wont do that again. But everyone is different, so I say try it both ways, and see what works for you.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You need adequate fuel to exercise, but not too much. Snack first with easily digestable carbs then eat your meal afterwards. You did not say what your workout is, but a recovery drink may be necessary immediatly after exercise then a healthy meal within an hour. The recovery drink needs to be a 4 to 1 carb to protien ratio, but fancy expensive drinks are not necessary. A cup of one percent chocolate milk is perfect. Good luck!