Boredom = Binge Eating?

Options
ArchyJill
ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
Like many of us here I go in cycles of eating GREAT for a few days then totally and utterly losing it and eating everything that comes across my path. I know it's not that I'm not eating enough (I take in about 2k/day), but I am wondering whether it's just I am so BORED with what I've been eating?

For the next week I'm going to try and not eat something different every meal. I've listed my current go-to's below, if anyone has some suggestions for something new to try let me know!

Proteins: shake mix, spicy-lemon almonds, egg beaters, chicken, pork, beef, tuna, PB2
Carbs: clementines, bananas, apples
Fiber: spinach, steam-in-bag veggies (usually mix of mostly carrots and broccoli), carrots

Replies

• fanullona
    fanullona Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    that's a good point. i probably do the same thing without even realizing it. curious to see what others post.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it takes a while to adapt to a new diet. just have some more will power
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    When I'm bored with what I'm eating I go to the produce department and look for vegetables I don't usually choose. I try to cook with it a couple of different ways before deciding whether I like it or not. It's fun to break out of my usual 6-7 choices and occasionally find something I really enjoy. In the next few weeks my CSA membership will kick up and then I'll be getting baskets of veggies I didn't choose for myself which is both fun and challenging. Last summer I learned a lot of ways to eat okra (did you know young okra is good raw in salads?) and chard.
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Boredome definately equals binge eating. You need to eat food that you enjoy, and not limit yourself to what you think you'd like. Try new foods! I used to be a very limited eater, especially with fruits and veggies. But just trying one new veggie a week has broadened my (and my kids'!) horizons. And it gives you a larger variety of food to choose from so you never get bored.
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Clementines and bananas are both higher sugar fruits. I'm wondering if you might want to try lower sugar fruits, because then you could easily eat more of them. My suggestions would include berries (strawberries, blueberries and blackberries), cantaloupe, navel oranges and peaches. Also you might want to add gteek yogurt to your proteins - i love the fat free plain greek yogurt.
  • pattiann603
    Options
    oatmeal! i love oatmeal because you can mix tons of different things with it. nuts, cinnamon, peanut butter, jelly, fruit. it's my go to, because it's easy to make, i can constantly change it up, and it's surprisingly filling.
  • daddyzgurl
    Options
    I excercise and eat great everyday ..however, nighttime is a different story . I don't eat junk food out of boredom as much as out of habit. I grew up in the 80's and my parents had the "cookies before bed if you were good" mentality. Everyone in my family is tall and skinny so weight was never an issue for them and eating healthy wasn't as popular in the 80's as it is now. Probably contributed to me being skinny-fat most of my life. Breaking the habit is hard- still fighting that battle.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi ya if you look on a calender and plot everytime you are "nautghy" i find it is always mid cycle around ovualtion(day 15 odd) so if you are half prepaired...and cravings only last 15/20 mins too!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi ya if you look on a calender and plot everytime you are "nautghy" i find it is always mid cycle around ovualtion(day 15 odd) so if you are half prepaired...and cravings only last 15/20 mins too!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    it takes a while to adapt to a new diet. just have some more will power

Yeah...those have been my go-to's for about a year now....