Weight Gain

Options
So i do know you are not supposed to weigh yourself everyday, but i do. But i do my "official" weigh in on Monday am's. On that note tell me how it is possible to gain 6 pounds in three days?? I just cant believe it!!!! Talk about making you flustrated and want to quit. I know my diet isnt the greatest, but i have seen worse, and i work out 4 days a week. So what gives????

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    More water, less chocolate and more fruit and veg , yes your under your calories but there not healthy choices!
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That exact same thing happened to me, and was the catalyst for me joining this site. For me, it was four pounds in one day. And like you - I resolved to only weigh in once per week, but I find myself weighing most days "just to see".

Could you be retaining water? Make sure you're drinking enough and be very diligent about tracking your calories.

...And I won't weigh in until Monday if you won't. :)
  • coxy1968
    coxy1968 Posts: 77
    Options
    I was always on and off the scales sometimes 3 times a day and it really does drive you insane but the body fluctuates daily and you are always heavier in the evening due to the belly full of food and drink you have consumed that day.

I always struggled with keeping to weighing once a week until i joined MFP and now i ONLY weigh Friday mornings in the nude right after my morning pee.

Sometimes I want to weigh mid week but i have conditioned myself not to and to wait until Friday.

Hope this helps :happy:
  • fullerlj
    fullerlj Posts: 25
    Options
    If you have been working hard and your muscles are sore then the gain may be due to water retention. Are muscles are 80% water and when we work them hard they retain more water to repair themselves. I have been in the same boat and gained 5+ lbs. in a matter of a day or two. I really try to watch my sodium intake and drink lots of water. Also I will put on an average of 7 lbs. during my period...the trick is to keep going so that the lbs. come right back off and don't stick around. I know exactly how you feel...I weighed 172 just a week ago and have been exercising 4-5 days a week and keeping my diet in check and now I am weighing 179. I haven't been able to get under 170 for a long time and so I decided to really switch things up and try different workouts and eat different foods. Hopefully it works....I have heard to give it at least 2 weeks so I will share how things go on my end. Hang in there!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's water weight.
    You'd have to binge like crazy everyday to gain a pound per day even.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    Well I have gotten into the habit of weighing myself at the same time everyday lately because I finally understand my weight fluctuations and they no longer 'freak' me out. One trend I do notice is the day before I see weight loss I will weigh a few lbs more. For example, I weighed myself on Sunday and was 177 my previously officially weigh in was 174 and Monday was my official weigh in and I weighed in at 170! I am not sure if it's true for everyone but this is the 4th time I've noticed this happen for myself. Also, if you are starting a new workout, you may gain muscle before seeing a weight loss. Don't get discouraged! Just keep doing the best you can. G'luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    It is unlikely you have put on actual bodyweight of that amount, but based on your food diary you need to drink more. I would also suggest eating more fiber daily (at least 28 grams), less sodium (the new maximum for a day from the Heart and Stroke people is 1500mg while the old one was 2300mg both lower than the 2500mg of MFP). You might also want to increase your protein intake.
  • kels67
    kels67 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...It will make you become very discouraged!!! .I will just have to make myself stay off the scale:smile:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    My guess--that's all it is--is that the mexican had a lot of hidden sodium, which caused water retention. I would give it a few more days or even a week.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are measuring yourself, too. If you're working out, you may be losing inches while gaining or not losing weight. Measure yourself on the same day as your official weigh in.