You're not a "food addict." You're a "crappy food addict."

Options
Here's the link to the blog. Interesting.
Mind you, I didn't write this, but food for thought. :-)

http://thefitnessnerd.blogspot.com/2011/04/youre-not-food-addict-youre-crappy-food.html?showComment=1302031773712#c6586436502852009969

Until recently, I found the notion of "food addiction" to be a load of horse poop. But after reading David Kessler's book, The End of Overeating, I started wavering. Kessler's theory is that food manufacturers have, over the years, engineered the balance of fat, sugar, and salt in fast food and junk food to the point of making them irresistible. Why? Because they're a bunch of greedy, thoughtless *kitten*. It's a compelling argument and a great read.

(Full Disclosure: Kessler doesn't actually refer to anyone as a "greedy, thoughtless *kitten*," but it felt really great to write that.)

Now, a couple studies out this week have made me a true believer. First off, this study out of Sweden (usually, I don't trust the Swedes, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt this time) shows that ghrelin, "a neuropeptide that both activates the brain's reward system and increases appetite" can have similar links to both sugar and alcohol.
In a new study published in the online journal PLoS ONE, researchers examined the genes of 579 individuals chosen from the general public. It emerged that people with certain changes in the ghrelin gene consume more sugar than their peers who do not have these changes. This link was also seen in people who consumed large amounts of both sugar and alcohol.

"This shows that ghrelin is a strong driver when it comes to tracking down rewarding substances such as sugar or alcohol," says researcher Elisabet Jerlhag from the Sahlgrenska Academy's Department of Pharmacology.
And in a second study, researchers at Yale showed that certain activities in the brain identified with addictive-like eating behaviors are similar to those associated with substance dependance.

"As predicted, elevated FA scores were associated with greater activation of regions that play a role in encoding the motivational value of stimuli in response to food cues. The ACC and medial OFC have both been implicated in motivation to feed and to consume drugs among individuals with substance dependence," the authors write. "In sum, these findings support the theory that compulsive food consumption may be driven in part by an enhanced anticipation of the rewarding properties of food. Similarly, addicted individuals are more likely to be physiologically, psychologically, and behaviorally reactive to substance-related cues."

So there you go. Food addicts, you have my sympathy - for about five seconds and then I'm going to start lecturing you. So bask in the solicitude for 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Okay, first off, these studies and Kessler's book show that you're not, technically, addicted to food. You're addicted to crappy food. Delicious, convenient, and fun? Yes, but also crappy. The reason I mention this is that "food" addicts often wallow in their misery, claiming that their addiction is worse than alcohol or other drug addictions because they can never go cold turkey. They need to eat, right?

I'm calling horse poop on this argument. Yes, you need to eat, but you don't need to eat Dolly Madison honey buns. Are you addicted to carrots? No. Are you addicted to apples? No. Are you addicted a piece of plank-grilled salmon with sides of steamed broccoli and whole-grain couscous. No! These aren't the kind of foods that do the Humpty-Hump with your anterior cingulate cortex and making y'all sugar silly. These are the kinds of food you need to eat to survive.

Just as many recovering alcoholics reach a point where they're able to show up at a party, order a mineral water with lime and have a great time as the people around them booze up, you should be able to reach a point where you can have a fine meal at just about any restaurant without ordering a double side of Bloomin' Onions and an Oreo Parfait for dessert.

You are not a food addict. You are a crappy food addict.

This feeds into my second point, which is that you need to stop wallowing. I've watched a number of friends overcome addiction over the years, particularly alcoholism, and generally, admitting there's a problem is the first step. The painful journey to recovery starts there. Conversely, I don't know how many times I've heard people say things like, "I'm addicted to food! I'm 300 pounds and I'm miserable! Say, are you going to eat the rest of that banana cream pie?"

It's official. You're an addict. The studies above attest to that. Now do something about it. If you're the DIY type, read Kessler's book. Another great resource is the chapter on desire in psychologist Tara Brach's excellent book Radical Acceptance. If you need more support than that, look into Overeater's Anonymous. Or throw out all the junk food in your house. Or create your own reward system. Or make a point of being naked every time you open the fridge. Just do something!

And on a final note, if you're a food addict and you're about to throw an angry missive at my head via the Real Fitness Nerd comments box, keep this in mind. I'm not just some skinny guy being an *kitten*. I'm some skinny guy being an *kitten* who has spent the bulk of his life struggling with eating, who still copes with psychological scars from being a fat kid, who still actively has to work not to pork out on pork rinds - sometimes, since we're playing true confessions here, by getting a little too carried away in the opposite direction and eating a little less than I should.

But for the most part, I'm doing alright. I did it. I made a change, and no one held my hand. So consider this tough love and do something about your crappy food addiction.

Replies

• starboardzor
    Options
    You must be friends with P90X on Facebook too! I saw this as well =)
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Yes, you need to eat, but you don't need to eat Dolly Madison honey buns. Are you addicted to carrots? No. Are you addicted to apples? No. Are you addicted a piece of plank-grilled salmon with sides of steamed broccoli and whole-grain couscous. No! These aren't the kind of foods that do the Humpty-Hump with your anterior cingulate cortex and making y'all sugar silly. These are the kinds of food you need to eat to survive.

GREAT article! And the "Humpty Hump" comment and "sugar silly" made me laugh! I needed that today!
  • marielenrdz
    marielenrdz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I like this. Time to own up to our addictions and do something about it, eh? Not everyone is ready for the truth, however, and it may not sit well with them. But I'm a carb addict, for sure and admit it openly. And I'm finally doing something about it. At my highest, I was 235lbs, so believe me, I get it! So glad I'm not where I was anymore!! Thanks for the interesting read!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I am 347 lbs. I"m a CRAPPY food addict. And I think it rocks how you wrote this! Thank you for sharing! I will be printing this out for future reference. I LOVE THE CRAPPY FOOD ADDICT part. Seriously, you go on my list of heroes for the day!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    So true, now if I could just get my wife and kids to understand this instead of acting like an ostrich.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    But I'm not a crappy food addict...

I eat real foods and a lot of them. I will eat a whole jar of raw nuts (no salt), A bowl full of peas I just picked from the garden (I'm not talking about a small bowl), bananas, apples, watermelon, pineapple, bacon, pork tenderloin, etc.

I'm as addicted to whole foods as I am junk foods. While I appreciate that junk foods have more of an impact on weight in smaller quantities than non-junk foods, a bowl of peas and a bag of pistachios are not helping either.

As I write this, I'm finishing off a bag of baby carrots...
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump

to read later..thank you for posting!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have heard about Ghrelin before, on the doctor OZ show... he was talking about how when you eat sugar it spikes your Ghrelin levels which in esscense makes your stomach "Growl" aka cravings... he said healthy foods like nuts and healthy fats like avacados lower your ghrelin levels... and makes you feel full ergo.. no stomach growling

which makes sense...

I agree fully with the article and the blogger.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My favorite part ... "These aren't the kind of foods that do the Humpty-Hump with your anterior cingulate cortex and making y'all sugar silly." That made me :laugh:

Food for thought. Thanks for posting this.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly. Maybe I am a food addict, but I think of it as, I have trigger foods. You know, those foods that you start eating and then you become a fish. You eat until you bust. I have worked on eliminating those foods. When I do have them I plan for them.I prepare for them ahead of time with, drinking water or eating salad before hand, working out so I have extra calories to spare and on rare occaision I allow myself to go over on calories for that day.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Glad you guys liked it. :)
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options

I eat real foods and a lot of them. I will eat a whole jar of raw nuts (no salt), A bowl full of peas I just picked from the garden (I'm not talking about a small bowl), bananas, apples, watermelon, pineapple, bacon, pork tenderloin, etc.

I'm as addicted to whole foods as I am junk foods. While I appreciate that junk foods have more of an impact on weight in smaller quantities than non-junk foods, a bowl of peas and a bag of pistachios are not helping either.

I never really thought about people being food addicts until I had a girl stay with us for 3 weeks. She was very obese and it was sad. She would eat a 2lb bag of baby carrots, bags of peas or spinach, apples, oranges, any fruit really in great quantity. She would also super-size her fast food meals. I knew that cutting out the "garbage" wouldn't be enough for her. She was addicting to eating--anything and everything.
    For me, I am addicted to "garbage" food. I also think of them as trigger foods. If I don't have them I am great, but if I do it is a steep slippery slope down.
    I don't think everyone can fit into one category.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm heading to check out fitnessnerd now... sounds like an interesting site!
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I never really thought about people being food addicts until I had a girl stay with us for 3 weeks. She was very obese and it was sad. She would eat a 2lb bag of baby carrots, bags of peas or spinach, apples, oranges, any fruit really in great quantity. She would also super-size her fast food meals. I knew that cutting out the "garbage" wouldn't be enough for her. She was addicting to eating--anything and everything.
    For me, I am addicted to "garbage" food. I also think of them as trigger foods. If I don't have them I am great, but if I do it is a steep slippery slope down.
    I don't think everyone can fit into one category.

I agree. Too much of anything is too much. :-)