What weight should i trust?

Options
I weighed myself first thing this morning after i had nothing to eat... that is what i usually do since i know you fluctuate though the day.. anyway scale said i am 1 pound less than yesterday.. i took a shower and weighed in again and scale also said more than once i am 2 pounds less than yesterday then i moved it and twice it said i am 3 pounds less than yesterday LOL what reading should i go with??

Replies

• kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    You need to just pick one spot for your scale, don't move it around too much........one day a week, at the same time each week. Do it before the shower or after the shower, whatever.......just keep it consistent.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'd take the average of 2?
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself so much?

1. Don't weigh yourself more than once a week.
    2. Weigh in at the same time (i.e. don't weigh in one week before eating anything, and the next after eating all day)

I personally weigh at the weekend (Saturday or Sunday) when I wake up, before I eat breakfast.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    You need to just pick one spot for your scale, don't move it around too much........one day a week, at the same time each week. Do it before the shower or after the shower, whatever.......just keep it consistent.

This is correct.
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked that! I have that problem too! It's crazy. I try not to move around on it either and go for the same time of the day. I can weigh myself, and then step back on the scale again 2 minutes late and it can be a difference of about 5 pounds! It's crazy!
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    The weight will change almost everytime you step on the scale. It's best to take 1 reading at the same time once a week. I tend to get on the scale often, but the number I log is from my "weigh-in" dedicated day and time once a week.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about an exact number, leave the scale in the same place and weigh until you get the same reading 3 times.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you should maybe invest in a better scale, if it's really really off. 1lb isn't that bad... but 3?
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Check the batteries - I know mine starts to go really wonky when they start to get low.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about an exact number, leave the scale in the same place and weigh until you get the same reading 3 times.

I did what you suggested and got the same reading 5X

It's so hard not to weigh in everyday and see my progress but i really have to try not to...
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    Check the batteries - I know mine starts to go really wonky when they start to get low.

I just bought my scale a lil over a week ago though? So i don't know if it would be the batteries?
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: What everyone else said. Summed up:

~~Keep the scale in the same exact spot. Hard floors, never carpet.
    (floors can be slightly off level in different spots even in the same room)
    ~~Weigh only in the morning (after using the restroom, before eating or drinking, before showering, and naked)
    ~~Also make sure that you had a good night's sleep the night before (at least 7 hours)
    ~~Use the same scale every time
    ~~Keep still while weighing
    ~~MOST IMPORTANT! Never weigh more than once per week

I usually weigh on Saturday mornings because I am sure to have had a good night's sleep the night before because I don't have to get up early on those days. I get about an extra 1 to 2 hours.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Ditto! Depending on the type of scale you have you may have to calibrate it. Mine is not digital and I have to calibrate it if the kids play on it. You should also make sure it is on hard floor - not carpet. That will make a difference, too.
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options

Ditto! Depending on the type of scale you have you may have to calibrate it. Mine is not digital and I have to calibrate it if the kids play on it. You should also make sure it is on hard floor - not carpet. That will make a difference, too.

Yeah it's on my kitchen floor which isn't carpeted. =)
  • obradovichm
    Options
    Everyone else has recommended all the advice I have to give on this subject. I struggle with the same thing as you. I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and I have a fixation with numbers and accuracy (which is why I like calorie counting so much). I have definitely struggled with having to cope with fluxtuations on the scale and from scale-to-scale.

I need a new scale at home, I think, as it seems to be off from the Doctor's Office one we have at my work. For me, I tend to weigh myself once a week in the morning (wearing no clothing), at the same time. I try to do it after I've been up for a few hours, but before I eat or drink anything. I also don't count the weight if I had a big meal the night before or very, very late, as that seems to play with it.

You'll never have an exact weight, I don't care what anyone says. Your water content, how recently you ate, scale calibration, and other factors all will change it +/- a certain amount. Once a week is all you need to weigh yourself - it'll keep you more optimistic, too, as you'll see the weight loss easier and more drastically, rather than .2 pounds here or there!
  • luvcookie
    luvcookie Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm glad you asked that! I have that problem too! It's crazy. I try not to move around on it either and go for the same time of the day. I can weigh myself, and then step back on the scale again 2 minutes late and it can be a difference of about 5 pounds! It's crazy!

Just when I thought im the only one having this problem haha !!! So now i always go with my first number....even if i jump of and back on and its 2 lbs less, i usually go with the first number....if we look at it this way if we were at the Drs. getting weighed ,will he ask us to get off and back on ? No lol,so even if i wanna go with my second number i always take the first :)