AM workouts

Options
Hello!
I have been reading everywhere that you should eat in the am before you workout. I get up at 5:30 am to do Insanity and then eat after that and take a recovery supplement. I dont feel like this is a problem and I feel good after. I just wanted to know if there is a difference if I was to eat before?

Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. We are at the gym at 515 and I basically roll out of bed and head over....can't imagine eating anything, I'm lucky i get up!!
    Hope someone can answer this for us!
  • leigh8210
    leigh8210 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Exactly!! There is no way that I can eat and then wait to workout... It will totally throw everything off!!! haha :)
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I don't eat in the am. I get up at 5:30 to hit the treadmill in the basement and I don't typically eat anything until 8:30-9am. So far I haven't noticed that it is a problem.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in an answer as well.

In the past I've talked to a friend of mine whom I trust greatly when it comes to working out because he's a body builder, and he's told me that it's a great way to jump start my metabolism in the morning.
  • elifefull
    elifefull Posts: 46
    Options
    Sometimes I jus eat a piece of fruit, but dont want anything heavy on your stomach .
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If I do an AM workout I will have something quick and easy like a banana. I will then have my proper breakfast once I am back home and showered.

I have found that I feel weaker and tend to eat more throughout the day if I don't eat before working out.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i've been told to eat after your workout. Even on Dr. Oz they said, get up, stretch, brush teeth, work out then have breakfast.
    I do not want anythong iny stomach but water. It weighs me down if I eat before
  • bigmamma56
    Options
    I think it has something to do with the way the body utilises glucose after a long period without food. I know that diabetics are advised to eat first before they exercise so I would expect the same principle to apply to non-diabetics. I think a banana would be a good start to keep you going as you will get a good dose of potassium.
  • leigh8210
    leigh8210 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i've been told to eat after your workout. Even on Dr. Oz they said, get up, stretch, brush teeth, work out then have breakfast.
    I do not want anythong iny stomach but water. It weighs me down if I eat before

Thats what I have been doing. I workout at about 5:30 or so, shower, get ready for work and then eat. Seems to be working pretty well! I just wasnt sure if there was a benefit from eating before a morning workout :) Thanks everyone for your input!!
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio burns more fat to me. I always workout on an empty stomach unless it's Saturday and I started late. Then I will have an apple or a pear since they are low on the Glycemic index. When getting lean is the key, do it in a fasted state. I just read it in like three articles and a book I am reading online. This only is the case for healthy individuals. Those who are diabetic or something else need to follow their doctor's guidelines.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana before I do Insanity in the AM - it's about 5:15 AM and I don't feel like eating. But I do think my work out goes better with some type of fast carb to help me through. I then shower before I eat my Shakeology breakfast.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I workout at 4:15 and I never eat anything...no time. I workout, shower and then eat after a cup of coffee. I don't think it's hurt my workouts or my loss.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything at least an hour before a work out, it makes me sick if I do. In the morning I always work out first and eat later... I've not done any research on this personally, but i've been told it is best to work out and then eat so you are burning fat and not new calories that you might need for fuel.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    The answer to this is: It depends.

If you're trying to lose weight (and most of us here are), and not train for any specific event or to achieve any particular fitness results, then an easy-ish workout (I know, right? "easy" workout? Who ever heard of such a thing?:wink: ) in a semi-fasted state will produce great fat burning and weight drops.

However, if you need to train hard for, say, a triathlon or a marathon, and your workout for the day is speedwork or some other intense training, then you should have some kind of fuel before your workout so that you are able to go as hard and long as you need to achieve your training goals.

When I'm training and trying to lose weight at the same time, it's a great recipe for a 2-a-day. I do my easy cardio in the morning without eating first, then in the afternoon or at lunch I'll do the more intense workouts when I'm properly fueled and am able to go the distance.

As an aside, do you know how hard it was not to type "That's what she said!" several times in this post? Just sayin'. :laugh: :laugh: