Weight gain but not eating 3500 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. You are only eating between 1000 and 1200 calories but you are working out and burning more. You are only netting between 600 and 900 calories.
    Your food looks good and your water too, try adding some more protien rich snacks like almonds, peanut butter, cottage cheese and advocado.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I did look yesterday and I did over do the sodium a bit. I drink plenty of water (about 100 oz a day). Unfortunately I can't factor in TOM because I have had a hysterectomy and no longer have one :-(. I am going to adjust the sodium and see what happens.

Thanks again
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Sense of perspective - I weigh 1 lb more after my morning cup of tea!
  • tvlagt
    tvlagt Posts: 6
    Options
    It could be a plethora of reasons. The RDA reccommends an sodium intake of about 2000 mg per day. The average American consumes about 6000 - 8000 mg per day. Cutting sodium can help. Then you need to look at the metabloic reactions and that is a vicious cycle. Sodium retains water and water attracts sodium. The key is to balance that cycle. Decrease Sodium intake and increase water intake. Water should be about 2 quarts per day or 64 oz. or 8 - 8 oz per day. If doing strenuous exercise you also need to replace the amount you sweat so you would need to drink more water. Much more beyond the 64 oz without exercise will cause the body to retain more sodium which will then retain more water etc.
    An average meal should contain no more than about 400 - 600 mg of sodium in the entire meal. In essence if it comes in a box throw it away.
    Sodium is used as a preservative in just about everything.
    Diet Coke 30mg
    Diet Sprite 45mg
    2 T of salad dressing @ 220-280 mg
    Frozen Chicken Breast @ 250 mg
    Italian Break Crumbs @ 300 mg
    2 T peanut butter @ 210 mg

Easy, Easy to go over the 2000 mg a day. Salt Alternatives use potassium and too much potassium can cause issues with heart rhythems. It can be done, but it is diffucult to follow a strict 2000 mg of sodium per day. It takes planning.

Now I just need to practice what I preach. :-)
    My patients look at me like "right, you are telling me what to do and you are fat too." "Good luck with that one."
  • tvlagt
    tvlagt Posts: 6
    Options
    Also look at your fat intake. For a 2000 calorie per day diet the total fat grams consumed should be between 56-78 and Saturated fat shouldn't be higher than 16-22 grams of fat. That is total per day, not per serving. To keep the digestive tract healthy you should consume between 25 and 30 grams of fiber per day.

Hope my tidbits of nutrition helps everyone.
  • lpm3925
    lpm3925 Posts: 39
    Options
    I’m not looking to start an argument over water, but I really find the entire debate over retaining water to be silly! Our bodies are 70% water. Not drinking enough water will make your body actually retain water as a protection from dehydrating. Yes sodium does adversely affect some people in severe ways. My grandfather would swell up like a balloon after eating salt, but he was 80 and had a number of other health issues. I weigh daily, and I can say my weight ups and downs are sometimes just arbitrary as are my wife’s. Just relax. If you are working out then you are building muscle. But I digress. Drinking water to the point of your urine being clear is very good for you. It is what the military does to make sure soldiers are hydrated. Drink enough water does this for your weight loss: It makes your kidneys filter your blood correctly. This means your liver does not have to pick up the slack for your kidneys like it does when you do not consume enough water. This means your liver can finally get to doing what it does by filtering out the toxic stuff in your blood. You cannot drink too much water! Save the exception of drinking gallons at a time which depletes vital electrolytes and can kill you. Your body is a water pumping machine. It will get rid of what it doesn’t need. It’s what our bodies are meant to do.

My real question is you say water, but is it pure water? No flavoring? No artificial sweeteners? Artificial sweeteners mess with your blood ph levels and slow weight loss. Yes, they are calorie free, but that doesn’t mean it is good for you. My wife finally cut out artificial sweeteners and went from losing 1 pound a week to about 3 ½. With just that one change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis

=)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I’m not looking to start an argument over water, but I really find the entire debate over retaining water to be silly! Our bodies are 70% water. Not drinking enough water will make your body actually retain water as a protection from dehydrating. Yes sodium does adversely affect some people in severe ways. My grandfather would swell up like a balloon after eating salt, but he was 80 and had a number of other health issues. I weigh daily, and I can say my weight ups and downs are sometimes just arbitrary as are my wife’s. Just relax. If you are working out then you are building muscle. But I digress. Drinking water to the point of your urine being clear is very good for you. It is what the military does to make sure soldiers are hydrated. Drink enough water does this for your weight loss: It makes your kidneys filter your blood correctly. This means your liver does not have to pick up the slack for your kidneys like it does when you do not consume enough water. This means your liver can finally get to doing what it does by filtering out the toxic stuff in your blood. You cannot drink too much water! Save the exception of drinking gallons at a time which depletes vital electrolytes and can kill you. Your body is a water pumping machine. It will get rid of what it doesn’t need. It’s what our bodies are meant to do.

My real question is you say water, but is it pure water? No flavoring? No artificial sweeteners? Artificial sweeteners mess with your blood ph levels and slow weight loss. Yes, they are calorie free, but that doesn’t mean it is good for you. My wife finally cut out artificial sweeteners and went from losing 1 pound a week to about 3 ½. With just that one change.

I too have little interest in debate, but what people are generally talking about is just the fluctuations that sodium (and even hard workouts) can cause. When you are looking for a 1lb difference, a high sodium diet can make your scale jump around like.... well like something that jumps around a lot :smile: It does seem to be the thing people jump to first tho.
  • kc_swiss
    kc_swiss Posts: 7
    Options
    good info, thanks
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    These are my weights from the last three weeks:

March 15 - Tuesday - 179.4
    W - 179.4
    R - 179.4
    F - 180.8
    S - 180.4
    S - 182
    M - 179.4
    March 22 - Tuesday - 179.4
    W - 178.8
    R - 178.0
    F - 178.4
    S - 179.4
    S - 179.0
    M - 178.0
    March 29 - Tuesday - 179.0
    W - 178.0
    R - 177.4
    F - 178.6
    S - 176.0
    S - 176.8
    M - 178.0
    April 5 - Tuesday - 176.4

In other words, a 1 pound fluctuation means nothing.