Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine

Options
2»

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them a lot, and I still have some in my freezer for when I have nothing else. I usually take a portion of whatever I cooked for dinner the night before and put it in the fridge. I usually do this before I even eat it for dinner that night. Then I know its there for tomorrow and I have less to look at and think I need to eat the night before.
  • littleitaly
    Options
    i was able to reach my goal weight while eating them for lunch most days. all my life, i avoided these too because of the sodium, fat, processed ingredients, etc. however, it's all about balance in your diet during your OTHER meals. eat these for lunch a few days a week, and they prove to be a GREAT way to count calories. plus, many of them have lots of protein and fiber to keep you feeling full all afternoon. if you're a person that needs to watch your sodium intake, then i would not suggest these, but again, it's all about balance :)
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I used to eat them at almost every lunch time because they are convenient. But I think it contributed to my water retention with the sodium. I still keep them around for "emergency-I slept in, can't make lunch" kind of days ... I love both brands!!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I like the Healthy Choice ones the best. I think the steamers and the steamer bowl ones are much bigger, and still low in calories - the one I have today is the beef Merlot and it's only 210 calories. I could have something else with lunch (a salad, some fruit, etc) and still stay under 400 calories, easily.

They are high in sodium, so if I do eat one for lunch I make sure I up my water more than usual that day. Are they the BEST possible food? No. But when you're starting out on a weight loss journey they certainly make things easier.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If you get them on sale, have them stocked in the freezer. It's a great last minute meal when you have nothing else planned out.
    Can you eat better sure. Can you eat worse. Definately.

Lean cuisines, smart ones are 300-500 calories?
    A burger combo at a fast food place? 1000-1500 calories.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    I eat them every now and then. I have noticed that the Lean Cuisine Spa series goes easier on the sodium than their other offerings, so I eat those from time to time. I also love the Smart Ones Angel Hair Marinara -- it helps me get my pasta fix without dragging out my Italian-family-size pots that lead me to the temptation of ignoring portion control.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    There are much better things you could be eating as well as there are much worst things you could be eating. Try making some meals and freezing them and taking that instead. Slowly try to eliminate them from your diet, but if you still have them sometimes, it's not the end of the world, IMO.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ok I just have to say I have ate the Healthy Choice and Smart Ones dinners EVERY DAY for the last 2 years and I NEVER go over my sodium limit doing so and I have lost over 100 lbs like this!! I usually get the asian ones and make an extra half cup of white rice to mix in to make it more filling=)
  • kuaaina
    kuaaina Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I suggest Healthy Choice if you want to go this route. They have the lowest in sodium I have found. Of course it is always better to try and make your own dinners. Processed food is bad bad bad.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Personally, I think they're "bad" because they're really processed, full of crazy chemicals and preservatives. But they are fast and easy and some of them are decent sources of protein and veggies, and they can help with portion control. I think there are better ways to eat. When I tried to diet using those types of food I rarely felt satisfied.
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them for lunch. I save tons of money not eating out as much as I used to and it's easier to log. I love the variety and it's the right portion size. I definatley watch the sodium.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I eat them most every day at lunch for portion control and ease.

I usually go over in sodium by the end of the day due to dinner as well, but I'm still losing. (At one point, I'd lost 50 lbs and did it with frozen lunches. Back slid a bit, back to losing weight again and eating them.)
  • mamato3babes
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies... I dont feel so bad now LOL
    I dont eat them all the time but once in awhile I do :)