question re calories burnt

Options
Hey all, I'm new to this so just wondering how accurate the site is when you log exercise and it gives calories burnt? I don't really feel like I could have possibly burnt over 600 cals in 50 mins of tae bo. Given it was hard work but...still. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    its a best guess, the only true way to tell is with a good heart rate monitor.
  • vburnett01
    vburnett01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    no matter where you get your calorie count, it will be an ESTIMATE. Even the handy dandy HRMs. I usually check 2 websites that estimate calories and take the average between the 2. Sometimes this site is right on with its estimates, but no matter what tool you use, THEY ARE ALL ESTIMATES. I learned this harsh lesson through this trainer that works at this sports store who told me to stop wasting money on HRMs.

Good luck to you. Use the tools (estimates) that motivates you the most.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    to a point I agree but the hrm is a much more accurate guess, it has worked like a charm for me for fat loss so I can say wholeheartedly that it was not a waste of money.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It isnt 100% accurate but it's pretty close. When I got my HRM I found I was actually burning a few more calories than MFP calculated. On that note, if you want to know for sure, get an HRM. And also, if you are doing tae bo, trust me, you can easily burn that many calories.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM. I find it to be the most accurate. Even if you just buy one that tells you your HR and not calories burned, there are websites that will do calculations for calories burned based on average HR. Most websites like MFP, sparkpeople, etc. overestimate the calories I burn.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Agreed, get an HRM to get a better idea of your burn. On that note, I use an HRM when I do Turbofire (a high intensity kickboxing-ish workout) and easily burn 500+ cals in 45-55 minutes.
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, will be on the look out for a HRM.