Im new! Any tips on substitute snacks?

Options
Hello all,

Im new to myfitnesspal and im so ready for a change i have joined 2wks ago and was not to entirely into it until i saw how much junk i was putting into my body and it was sooo. not worth it!

So im excited to be on a journey where i will lose weight not by a diet but a lifestyle change! Wish me luck and any tips or advice for healthy snacks would be super helpful cause my favorite snacks WERE chips and anything with cheese :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Cheese is still good for you, just in moderation and use the low fat variety. A cheese stick and a hand full of nuts is a great snack.

Pair proteins (nuts, cheese, yogurt, meats, hummus, etc) with a complex carb (whole grain crackers, fruit, veggies, etc) for the best results. You will feel fuller longer thanks to fiber and protein and you will feel satisfied because you are eating a carb every few hours.

Good luck to you!

Oh, and PS you can substitute regular chips with rice cakes or baked chips. Again, everything in moderation.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Almonds
    String Cheese
    Apples w/ PB
    Celery w/ PB
    100 cal Popcorn (Jiffy Pop?)
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Welcome & Good Luck! I know for me I've gone to fruits/nuts and my biggest change of all is what I drink because it was always some sort of juice or soda in the past with whatever snack I was having. Now I'd say water is 99% of what I drink.
  • chylom
    chylom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love cucumbers and hummus !
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! My fav chip substitute is the Special K chips=) sooo good=) and you get alot per 120 cal serving too!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love 100 calorie blue diamond dark chocolate cocoa roasted almonds (they have different flavors)
    mini babybel light cheese (50 calories)
    sugar free puddings
    carbmaster yogurt (from Kroger)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    100 calorie popcorn is great. I also keep 100 calorie doritos on hand, but don't eat them as much any more.
    I make my own 100 calorie bags of pistachios, almonds, walnuts, etc., but you can buy them pre-made by Emerald.
    I love easy to snack on cruncy foods, so I bought an apple slicer/corer. I simply slice up my apple and then it's easy to grab and munch on (kind of like a chip). Baby carrots are great for that too.
    I love cheese sticks.
    And when I'm on the go, Luna Bars are an easy, portable snack.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My routine snacks

air popped pop corn
    carrots
    pickles (lots of sodium but low calorie and they keep me away from sweets)
    almonds
    mixed nuts
    an apple
    a bowl of decent cereal
  • cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    i like dry honey nut cheerios. I have about 1/2 cup and graze on it throughout the day.

grape/cherry tomatoes are great too...5 of them are only about 10 calories and it's a way to sneak veggies in which i hate :(

good luck!!
  • 2burn
    2burn Posts: 32
    Options
    Welcome!! I like apples, popcorn, dry cereal and cucumbers.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love love love hummus the light version is around 40 cals for 2 table spoons. I usually pair it with Veggies like mushrooms or celery but when you're in the mood for somthing cruchier and more like chips i usually open a pita pocket so it's just two flat pieces and throw it in the oven on 350 until it's crunchy break it up and use it to scoop up your hummus. OR do that with the pita spread some margarine or olive oil on and sprinkle with parm and asiago or any of your other fav cheese, just go for low fat and just a dusting, then bake til crispy MMMM!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My favourite snacks (all about 100 cals) are:

Hard boiled egg
    2 rice cakes with a wedge of spready cheese
    1 cheddar cheese stick
    mini pot humous and carrots
    parma ham slices
    natural yoghurt
    20 almonds (I buy a big bag and count them out into 20 almond prtions in freezer bags)
    celery sticks
    piece of fruit
    bag of quavers, popcorn, baked crisps (chips)
    small chocolate bar - preferably good quality dark choc.
  • obradovichm
    Options
    There are so many great, low-calorie options for snacks you can choose from. This is what I do.

I always start before having a snack by drinking a glass of water. A.) it helps get your daily recommended water intake up, and B.) it makes you feel fuller so you don't oversnack.

Secondly, I ALWAYS prepare my snacks in little ziploc baggies for my lunch and keep some in the pantry at home so I'm not tempted to grab the whole bag.

If you're a fan of "crunchy" or chips, I highly recommend getting the Reduced Fat Pringles Lites. They have about 70 calories per 15 chips or so, so you can have MORE, while cutting the calories by a very significant amount.

Also, I like prebagged fruit like raspberries, Craisins (careful with the fake sugar), and blueberries. I also enjoy the 100 calorie bag of Light Popcorn, as that is very satisfying and filling.

If you Google snacks with under 100 calories, you will find a massive list of options, many very healthy. The key is to choose the healthy ones, and moderate the portion control. If you want something "bad" for you, make sure you eat far less of them in a little baggie!