First time at the grocery store..

Options
Hello Everyone,
First I need friends...so if you are willing please become my friend and help me in the journey that I am starting once again. I am not good with message boards are forums...fist one I think I have tried every. I need help I am about to go to the grocery store for the first time and I have no idea what items I should buy. I know that I will stay away from the chips and soda and actually go down the fruit isle, but any other suggestions would be welcomed. I will have to buy some frozen dinners cause of my lunch hour so any suggestions on that would be great as well...thanks

Replies

• Soniagirlc
    Soniagirlc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new here too! However, I love lean cuisine, healthy choice, and smart ones frozen meals when I have to eat a frozen meal. The main concern I have with those are they are super high in salt, so be careful!

A few things I like snacking on light string cheese, fruit, protein bars, fiber one bars, yogurt, oatmeal packets.

I don't know how to add as friends, but I will try!

Good Luck
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    A lot of diet or low fat options are full of sugar or sweeteners. Check out normal versions too, you may find they have less calories. Whole almonds are great as snacks, filling and good for you.

Good luck on your new journey; you are in the right place.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not sticking with the frozen meals for very long. Two reasons...a lot of sodium and they're very teeny! I have come up with some great recipes to make at home and freeze to have healthy lunches for work that come in right around the same number of calories, with twice the food and less sodium. Add me if you'd like, and I can share recipes.

As far as your trip today, the best advice...buy as much fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, try to stay away from canned, chicken breast, whole grain breads or pastas, etc. I am at work so I can't help much, but I hope this is a good start!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Best advice is to shop around the border of the store, that's where all the real food is kept. Usually when you go down the aisles, that's where the pre-packaged stuff is. I would recommend getting the basics and then using your freezer. Get a bunch of chicken breast, clean it up then freeze it in portions you will use. Also freeze some of it chopped up or make your own chicken nuggets and freeze them. I also make mini pizzas and freeze them. I'll use english muffin cut in half, then top with whatever toppings you want. Don't bake it, but put it on a baking sheet to freeze, then after 24 hours you can toss them all in a freezer bag and they won't freeze together. To bake, throw in the over 375 for about 10 mins.

You can also make your own frozen dinners/lunches, which I do a lot. There's way less sodium and garbage in them that way. If you have a crock pot, that's your best friend. Do a big batch of soup, stew, chilli and then freeze in individual servings in gladware. Jambalya also freezes well.

Defintely try to get a lot of veggies, as you can put them in so many things. If its a veggie I know I won't use before it goes bad, I buy the frozen bag, which is better than canned. Basic veggies I keep fresh in my house is onions, green peppers, tomatos and whatever else aldi's has on sale. Hope that all helps!!!
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself is stock your cart, and your pantry/freezer/refrigerator with foods that you have to cook. If you have to prepare them yourself it is much less likely that you munch when you really aren't that hungry. If you are just bored (which is when I used to munch) you usually don't have the energy to make an entire meal, so it stops the inclination to munch. But some good snack foods are yogurt (i like the ones with granola), jello, and fruit and veggies. Definitely buy some chicken and steak. You can marinade both in so many different things, and you can cook so many off at once and continue to make good lunches and dinners with them throughout the week. Good luck with your shopping trip!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy. Avoid processed foods, refined sugar and artificial sweeteners. You don't have to take frozen dinners for lunch, you can make your own lunch the night before. You can bring a sandwich and carrot/celery/cucumber sticks, a grilled chicken salad, pasta, or any leftovers you have. Your lunches will be much, much healthier if you make them yourself. They'll be full of important vitamins and minerals and won't have ridiculously high amounts of sugar or sodium!
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Shop the edges of the store, just the meat, dairy, fruits, veggies, and bulk items. Lots of whole foods, plus beans (dried or canned) and whole grains, like quinoa, whole grain pasta, and brown rice.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would recommend taking a peek at people's food diarys (who have them open to the public). Or browse the forums for healthy recipes. I've gotten some great ideas from other mfp'rs!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • bmmiller4
    bmmiller4 Posts: 39
    Options
    I snack on (or at least try) almonds, string cheese, baby carrots, granola bars and a hard boiled egg. I like the Smart Ones for frozen meals, Pasta Primavera is one of my faves.

Soda is one of my big problems. I can keep the chips and cookies out of the house so they are not a temptation. I always buy soda because of my hubby. I buy Coke Zero (can't stand any diet soda) for myself buy he drink Mt. Dew. So I find myself snitching one of those way to often.

Good luck! It can be hard but you will make it! I have had a few rough days but WILL get back on track. One thing that I found helpful it so log everything that I am planning to eat that day either first thing in the morning or the night before. Helps me plan better. And it can always be changed. What I planned for today put me over my calorie limit which would have been fine once I exercised. Not sure if I will be able to get that in so I changed what I was having for lunch, moved lunch to dinner and tadaa...I have 100 calories left! It just takes some practice and adjustments and you will get there.
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm not an expert at this, but I bought a giant bag of frozen mixed veggies to keep at work. (and a measuring cup) I also bought vegetarian chicken and burger patties to eat with them. I sometimes bring smaller portions of leftovers from dinner the night before as lunch and eat the veggies as a side to fill me up.