Who are Cheat Days For?

Options

Replies

• muethymommy
    Options
    I dont have cheat days, I have free days. A day labeled as cheat makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. A day labeled as free means that I have worked solidly for a bit and I need time off. I have a job that goes from 830 am to 500 pm Monday through Friday....Saturday is not a cheat day, I should be allowed to relax.

SOOO...I have free days. They have toned themselves down as I have gotten better at all of this. I find that a free day is pretty good for me since I undercut my calories for the majority of the week.

I agree with this.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day but I do eat at my projected maintenance level once a week. As i get closer to my goal I will incorporate more maintenance days. I do this to learn how to eat at maintenance and to reign in the weight loss. Even with the weekly 2,000 to 2,200 calorie day I am still loosing 1.5 to 2 pounds each week, so it definitely isn't a cheat day.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I believe it is extremely important for long-term weight loss for so many reasons.
    http://spikediet.blogspot.com/2010/08/importance-of-spike-day.html

Dieting is not fun, but when you have one day a week to look forward to it makes it so much easier to stay on track.

It needs to be a full day, and you need to have a surplus of calories so that your body will store some energy in glycogen. Having a day to NOT use fat for energy is what helps to bring your leptin hormone back up to normal levels.
    Like others, I do not call it "cheating" it helps you lose weight. I call it a Spike Day, because it spikes up metabolism and mood.

People who have Spike Day's:
    Have more energy
    give themselves a physiological break
    Increase their metabolism
    avoid plateau's
    lose more weight long term
    are less likely to gain weight back
    can easily turn their diet into a lifestyle

Personally I know it's why I've lost over 100lbs and kept it off for several years.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a "cheat" day is, when in reality it's just an increased consumption of calories. Would it still be considered "cheating" if I went over my daily goal by 500 if it was 500 calories of vegetables? I think the word "cheat" gives the reality of what it is, a negative connotation. People could easily be within, or under, their daily calorie goal eating pork rinds and twinkies every few hours. I don't see the necessity to label extra consumption as something that should be frowned upon.

Besides, creating subconscious guilt about particular foods or calories that you're putting into your body, will only cause stress, in which case -can- hinder weight loss. If I'm going to have an increased caloric intake day, I will log it, make note of the results, then use those results to motivate and initiate the proper succeeding steps necessary to have those results turn to my favor.

I look at everything objectively, so maybe that's a plus for me not to create negative perspectives on anything. There's always a different perspective.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    I don't know what a "cheat" day is, when in reality it's just an increased consumption of calories. Would it still be considered "cheating" if I went over my daily goal by 500 if it was 500 calories of vegetables? I think the word "cheat" gives the reality of what it is, a negative connotation. People could easily be within, or under, their daily calorie goal eating pork rinds and twinkies every few hours. I don't see the necessity to label extra consumption as something that should be frowned upon.

Besides, creating subconscious guilt about particular foods or calories that you're putting into your body, will only cause stress, in which case -can- hinder weight loss. If I'm going to have an increased caloric intake day, I will log it, make note of the results, then use those results to motivate and initiate the proper succeeding steps necessary to have those results turn to my favor.

I look at everything objectively, so maybe that's a plus for me not to create negative perspectives on anything. There's always a different perspective.

You are exactly right, "Cheating" brings on guilt and stress which is terrible for weight-loss. It's a "Spike Day", spike metabolism, spike mood, and you'll also spike your weight-loss.
    It's completely guilt free, and to do it right you just need a surplus of calories for one day. It can be junk food or it could be clean food. Personally I'm eating donuts, pizza, and ice cream every Spike Day but you don't have to.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

You are exactly right, "Cheating" brings on guilt and stress which is terrible for weight-loss. It's a "Spike Day", spike metabolism, spike mood, and you'll also spike your weight-loss.
    It's completely guilt free, and to do it right you just need a surplus of calories for one day. It can be junk food or it could be clean food. Personally I'm eating donuts, pizza, and ice cream every Spike Day but you don't have to.

Damn straight, Russell. I believe in spiking too. It's a culmination of every food across the board from romaine lettuce all the way to BBQ brisket and beef ribs. Sweet baby jesus I love me some beef ribs. MMmmmm.
  • hschimke
    hschimke Posts: 14
    Options
    I've only been doing this for 10 days and down 5 lbs, BUT I like chewy things like gummi worms etc. I let myself have like 7 of them a day instead of a bag. That helps with the constant craving. I also had today, 2 pieces of delite pepperoni pizza from Papa Johns, instead of 4 regular pizzas, I feel this helps me completely going nuts... BUT down the road, I imagine myself doing ONE cheat MEAL a week. When I go out with friends for beers and appetizers. I need to be human and par-take in normal activities and not attached to numbers. If at some point I start to stall before meeting my goals, then I might tone it down. Just my philosophy.. :)

I also feel you need to create a realistic lifestyle that you can maintain once you have met your goals..
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Damn straight, Russell. I believe in spiking too. It's a culmination of every food across the board from romaine lettuce all the way to BBQ brisket and beef ribs. Sweet baby jesus I love me some beef ribs. MMmmmm.

I'm curious -- I've seen mostly men on the boards talking about spike days. I wonder if it works as well for women, who have slower metabolisms and aren't looking to build as much muscle?
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week we have some kind of social function that I use as an opportunity to eat freely which to me means no counting and no restrictions on my food choices.

Birthday dinners, anniversary dinners, cocktail parties, family barbecues, holiday parties... these kinds of events are where I take advantage of a free meal.

Free days are taken on major holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving.

My only rules are:

1 - No more than two free meals or one free day per week.
    2 - If there is no food related function or major holiday in a particular week, I do not take a free meal or a free day that week.
    3 - I can not eat to discomfort. It's not an eating contest or an excuse to binge and I always wear fitted clothing and a belt to serve as a physical reminder to not over do it.
    4 - I weigh in the morning of my free meal/free day and not again until the following week (I'm a weekly weigher).

I haven't done a "free meal" or "free day" since I've been on MFP (only 3 weeks), mainly since it hasn't come up yet. However, I know there will be potlucks at work and dinners with friends, and this plan sounds reasonable and responsible to me. Thanks for the good guidelines.

Rose
  • Russellb97
    Options

I'm curious -- I've seen mostly men on the boards talking about spike days. I wonder if it works as well for women, who have slower metabolisms and aren't looking to build as much muscle?

It absolutely does, my definition of a Spike Day calorie wise is 2X (BMR) and BMR is individualized. It does help build muscle of course but the main purpose is to spike up metabolism.
    Part of metabolism is simply the metabolizing of food so when we eat less it slows down a bit, and when you eat more it spikes up. Studies have shown that it goes up more with overeating than it goes down with under-eating which makes dieting with a spike day extremely amazing.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Russell, just want to thank you for your advice. Adding in a spike day has helped me bust through a month-long plateau. Awesome!
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    Very interesting...thank you guys so much for the input. I'm new to this also, and any advise I can get from people who are well into their goals is truely appreciated.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for me. My cheat day turned into a cheat weekend and that set me back a week. When I have a craving for a cheesy chimichanga or some jelly beans, I monitor my portions and adjust the rest of my meals to accommodate the extra calories. Also, I only buy "cheat" foods with cash, and I'd rather steam veggies than go to the ATM.
  • jadeumbrella
    Options
    I don't really even consider what I'm doing dieting. I've been on it for a week and lost 2lbs. I eat what we have (My family is poor, so we never have a lot) and I usually stay under the goal. Today I had a cupcake I made for my best friend's birthday, it was 272 calories and I don't feel bad about it. But I exercise quite a bit, I burn about 200+ calories a day just running up and down the stairs to class all the time (I'm always late...ALWAYS).

I feel like counting calories works better for me because I don't have the means to really diet. Like cut everything out and start eating practically nothing like I did on Atkins. I feel like this means I can relax a little bit and just count the calories I consume. Because honestly, most of the time in my house we starve.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i do a cheat meal or treat about once a week. nothing major, i'll still log in everything else i eat for that day but on my 'cheat day' i may say have an extra cookie and not count it or have a small glass of wine and not count it in. take last week for example we had baked potatoes with the works, i used that for my cheat meal/day. i'm usually about a few hundred below my goal anyways so the occasional cheat treat isn't going to throw me off.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I might do a cheat meal or 2 if I was in maintenance.
    For me I'm just starting and I want results more.

If I wanna eat something a bit naughty, I find a way to work it into my calories for the day.
    I love Reese's PB cups and candy bars, but instead of getting them at 270+ calories, I found some at 170 calories: 3 musketeers truffle crisp, and the Easter Reese's eggs.

I know I will want to have a few drinks Saturday night, so I'm putting in some extra time at the gym, and I'm figuring in advance what I want to drink and what it will take to burn it off.

I try each day to get the fiber, calcium, protein, etc that I need and the proper amount of vegetables, then if I wanna have something that's considered junk, I just work it in. If I go over by say 25 calories or even 50 I'm not gonna sweat it, but so far I've not gone over by more than say 20 calories.

I feel that works better for me than a cheat day. If I ever did "cheat" I don't consider it "cheating". Seems like such a negative thing for it... I just log everything, and if one day I go over by 500 calories so be it - I just don't do it often at all. I aim to have 95% of my days at or just under my calorie allowance.

So my advice is, if you want that doughnut, have it, log it, then try to make up for it during workouts. I also think pre-planning is good - going out is the worst for me, so if I look up the website for the restaurant, I can make a better choice without feeling deprived, do an extra mile or 2 and it's not so bad.
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been on a life style change since February 9th and have lost 17 lbs so far (13 before joining MFP). Saturday is my cheat day although I usually eat pretty light most of the day and give myself one meal out that I have wanted all week. I have to add that half of it ends up coming home and my husband eats it. I also never skip on the exercise.
    This week is a fish dinner. It gives me something to look forward too at the end of the week for being so good otherwise.
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i let life take care of cheat days for me. if i'm having an especially awful day i might allow myself a few more calories. or if i meet with friends i'll allow myself to eat out without worrying as much.

i don't really cut out bad things from my diet completely, but instead i have them in much smaller portions, significantly less often.

Exactly. Well said.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know I'm probably a little different in my thinking, but I don't call them cheat days. My wife and I have designated Friday as date night, and we usually go to a restaurant, or cook something very tasty, and probably a little fattening at home. My view is that I don't want to diet the weight off. If I diet the weight off, what happens when it's gone? Will I never eat a fattening foods again? Not Hardly. So I eat now like I'm going to eat for the rest of my life. Heck last week I had a few slices of pizza mid-week, and a soda or two. Moderation is the key. If you're eating healthy all day everyday, a strong craving for something tasty can be satisfied. Just don't go over board with it. I still dropped 6 pounds last week, so that let me know that things are going well, pizza and all.

That's exactly how I feel. Sundays I eat anything I want, calories be damned. I don't do anything crazy like eat a whole quart of Haagen Dazs and chase it with a box of Oreos, but I will have the bacon/egg/homefries brunch and dinner is whatever i'm in the mood for, which can be anything from steamed fish and veggies to a cheeseteak hoagie. I find that having that one day of "freedom" is great incentive for me to stay on track for the rest of the week because it gives me something to look forward to. For me it's all about keeping my eating habits in moderation, which means that I can't overdo it but I can't deprive myself either.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day". I WANT my weight off BAD! But I do allow myself some extra goodies IF I work for them! Gotta burn some calories to earn some extra!