what is an ideal goal weight?

Options
Okay. So i started my journey at 202.5, i currently weigh 175.2, but i have a problem. NEVER in my life have i been "skinny" or thin. So in actuality, i have no idea what a good weight would be for me. I am 5'7 and i carry all my weight in my stomach. I am looking at lots of pics and mostly everyone looks great between 160-140. Should that be what im aiming for? My "healthy" BMI is 164 something..... can anyone tell me what a good goal weight should be?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just work at it until you feel comfortable. I'm 5'7 1/2 and I weigh 146. I'm pretty hippy, no stomach. I think everyone is different , and you will know when you get there. Good Luck
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    bmi is a load of crap and not worth the paper its posted on, everyone is different, my advice go to what feels good for you I am 5ft8 and am at 171 now and just under 20% body fat and heading towards a 6 pack for sh*ts and giggles. See how far you can push it, or stop where you are comfortable. My advice though is why stop there? Set new goals and take it as far as you want to.
  • rljohnson11
    Options
    I had the same problem picking a goal and this is what I plan to do: my current goal weight is 150 lbs (I'm 5'6") and when I hit that goal, I'm going to re-evaluate my body, my fitness level, my body fat %, and my general overall feelings about how I look and feel. And if I want to make changes based on that, I'll reset the goal and move on. I suggest you try this method. I doing this so I don't just get stuck on the number on the scale, but how I feel/look. I hope this helps and good luck!:smile:
  • helenamonks
    helenamonks Posts: 176
    Options
    I'm the same way, my 'healthy' BMI is like 145 ish, but I've never been thin so I have no idea at my height. I am WIDE through the hips regardless, and have large boobs so I'll probably have to stop at 140-145 but my goal is at 130-135 just in case..

I don't really care about the numbers, I just want to be comfy in my own skin :flowerforyou:
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    As long as you lose slowly, I don't see a problem with going as far as you can.
    You will get to a point where you have difficulty going any further. See how you feel at that point. You might decide that that is where you need to be, or go for a bit more. I agree that you'll know when you get there.
  • dixiejeep
    dixiejeep Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thank you all so much. Im just gonna keep going until I am 100% happy with my body & myself!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I don't really care about the numbers, I just want to be comfy in my own skin
    smart woman.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree everyone is different. Im 5'9 Im at 160.9 now my goal is 155 but Im starting to look for at fat percentage than what the scale says!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I agree everyone is different. Im 5'9 Im at 160.9 now my goal is 155 but Im starting to look for at fat percentage than what the scale says!
    again smart woman, scales are the greasy car salesman of the weight loss world.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It's certainly different for everyone. Last time I was 'skinny' I was 145 at 5'6", and I felt perfectly fine with myself!
  • bmmiller4
    bmmiller4 Posts: 39
    Options
    My goal weight is about in the middle of my healthy BMI (I am 5'4") and remember that weight being a time when I felt good. Not sure if that weight will be possible...I have had 2 kids since then and that does change a body! My biggest problem is my stomach too.
  • jvinsanity90x
    Options
    Scientifically, there is a "recommended" goal weight but a lot of things play a factor to determine that goal weight.

Personally I don't believe in "goal weight" though keeping tracking of your weight does help keep track. I focus more on how I feel about myself, how I feel when I am wearing clothes or how I feel on a daily basis. Don't focus on having to be "skinny", if you feel great about your body, embrace it :-)
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Generally, women should be about 100 lbs at 5' and add 5lbs for every inch after. But just remember that muscle ways more than fat so that can affect what your actual healthy weight can be. I am shooting for 150 (I'm 5'10'') but will be fine if I am 5 lbs or so off since I can feel my muscles a lot more now. You should just feel happy and comfortable with the way your body looks and feels.