Genetics and high metabolism CAN be a curse

Options
I've had a high metabolism all my life. That and genetics has led to me not worrying about any overweight issues. What it has done is lead to underweight issues and problems conceiving due to low body fat. I am about 5'7 and was 102 when I fould I was pregnant with my son in 1999. Now my new husband and I are trying to conceive but I need to gain a little weight. I'm almost 32 years old and am barely 110lbs.5lbs of that has come in the last month thanks to a friend getting me to go weight training with her 5 days a week. I'm looking for snack tips or meal tips to assist with the gaining of weight without them being large portions. Due to dental issues, I am not a fast eater by any means. And from what I've been told, that may be why I don't eat as much. Eating slowly fills me up quicker or something like that. I have started adding a scoop of muscle milk to my morning glass of milk in the mornings and usually another glass in the evening. Guess I'm just looking for some general tips on meals / snacks that are smller portioned (and work with a limited grocery budget)

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, avocados I know there are plenty of more out there just do a google search and you may find a nice big list!!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I know a several people like you, who have been able to pretty much eat whatever they want and stay thin. Good genetics.

You have to be cautious, though. A few of them high cholesterol, and even though you stay thin, there is a strain on your heart and health that isn't as visible as in over weight people.

I would say well balanced meals apply to everyone. Lean protein, veggies, fruit, dairy, and good oils and fats. You can just have more of these things than I can ;) Just watch out for saturated fats and cholesterol big time. I would say most of us are on this website for self improvement, but if you are happy with yourself, then don't worry about the weight.
  • kimmiesvogan
    kimmiesvogan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I am at the gym by 6am. I was reading posts earlier about eating before and/or after a workout. What is the best thing to eat/drink before/after a workout?

I'm not entirely worried about my weight but I do think I am too think. I just look scrawny when seeing myself in the mirrors at the gym and I don't like it. For me I think it's more of a self confidence issue of how a feel about myself then trying to be any specifis weight. I'm just tired of being "too" thin. Especially when it's affecting my husband and I's attempts of conceiving.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

How's it going now? Have you gained the weight you wanted to?

How many calories are you eating to try to gain. I've been trying to maintain on 2250, but my weight dropped again this morning, so I may need more.

Hope you hear the pitter patter of tiny feet soon :smile: