Cottage cheese???

Options
So the other day I was at the grocery store, and meant to buy light sour cream. Instead I ended up with light cottage cheese. I absolutely ate cottage cheese. But I would feel bad if I just threw it away, and silly to take it back to the store (it was like a dollar something). So I was wondering if I could use it to cook with. Do you know a good recipe I could use it in? (Something where I don't have to buy a bunch of ingredients to go with it.)

Replies

• hwilliams519
    Options
    So the other day I was at the grocery store, and meant to buy light sour cream. Instead I ended up with light cottage cheese. I absolutely ate cottage cheese. But I would feel bad if I just threw it away, and silly to take it back to the store (it was like a dollar something). So I was wondering if I could use it to cook with. Do you know a good recipe I could use it in? (Something where I don't have to buy a bunch of ingredients to go with it.)

correction *hate* not ate
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've often used cottage cheese in place of ricotta when making lasagne. Not sure if that qualifies as something that would not require a lot of ingredients, though! lol!
  • Casey1982
    Casey1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yep, cottage cheese in place of lasagna - probably your best bet!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    it is one of the ingredients in the mushroom casserole at 101cookbooks.com...this is my favorite recipe!

As a vegetarian i eat TONS of cottage cheese. Some suggestions where it doesn't taste like plain cottage cheese are:
    1. salad with cottage cheese and balsamic vinegarette dressing
    2. on a potato with sprinkled cheese
    3. in chili

enjoy!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say the same as Tobi. It is a great source of protein so a really good snack or breakfast. Remember protein is what keeps you full so always a good addition to a meal.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sub it for sour cream on a baked potato.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Blend it in a food processor until it is smooth, creamy, and uniform--I've used it that way as a sour cream substitute in a pinch in recipes, and it makes a much healthier alternative to ricotta cheese if you make lasagne--and it has the same texture. You can just store it in the same container you got it in, and it is all ready to go when you want it for cooking.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    So can u sub it for ricotta in any recipe? I think I have some recipes that call for ricotta.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    In a lasagna, you can't really taste the difference unless you're aware of what you put in. My boyfriend's mom makes her lasagna with ground turkey, wheat noodles and cottage cheese and the first time I had it, i had no clue it was so healthy!
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hate cottage cheese too, it's a consistency issue with me, but I put it in my veggie lasagna and I have also blended it until smooth.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Blend it in a food processor until it is smooth, creamy, and uniform--I've used it that way as a sour cream substitute in a pinch in recipes, and it makes a much healthier alternative to ricotta cheese if you make lasagne--and it has the same texture. You can just store it in the same container you got it in, and it is all ready to go when you want it for cooking.

Good news-I actually have a food processor now. But does it really taste like sour cream like that? Making it smooth is the only hope that I could try that. I hate the texture of it.
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I have heard a lot of people like cottage cheese pancakes....I haven't tried these yet, but they sound good....

2c Cottage Cheese (I think some people blend it up to make it smoother)
    4 eggs
    1/2 c flour

You can use wheat flour if you like, and I saw someone added a little splenda, vanilla and cinnamon...which I thought would be yummy kind of like french toast.

I think I am going to try these this weekend...I am hungry now :)

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 100.8
    Total Fat: 2.9 g
    Cholesterol: 95.8 mg
    Sodium: 257.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 7.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
    Protein: 10.5 g
  • tracylesq
    tracylesq Posts: 12
    Options
    If you use it in something like a lasagna, you should probably strain it for a couple hours to get more of the liquid out. Otherwise it will make your lasagna very watery. My mom used to do this all the time instead of ricotta.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's great mixed with salsa to top a baked sweet potato
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I make myself a bowl of frozen vegetable, put cottage cheese and then microwave it. It melts completely, a bit more liquid than regular cheese.

I like the idea of putting it in a food processor.
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    I use it in place of cheese in my enchiladas to make them healthier. I still sprinkle cheese on top, but use it inside. You can sub it for cheese in a lot of things! I was working in a restaurant for a time and one of the dishes was a pesto pasta dish, if you like pesto. They put veggies like onions and zuccini (you can put whatever you want) and then added some cottage cheese and pesto and stirred it in for a few minutes, then dumped it over penne pasta (you can use whatever pasta you want. It was really yummy!!
  • castlesintheair
    Options
    I'm not a big fan on cottage cheese, but I found a great smoothie recipe and I use cottage cheese all the time now.
    Cheesecake Smoothie:
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 milk (sometimes I use almond milk instead)
    1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries are my favorite for this)
    2 tsp sweetener
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    Blend it all together, and make sure to blend well so the texture of the cottage cheese is gone.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I don't like cottage cheese either, but I do like the protein in it! Try mixing in fresh fruit and a little liquid vanilla stevia. It's actually stomachable.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I use it to thicken up smoothies in the morning. Also adds a great amount of protein to them and with it blended up you won't notice the consistency.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I can find some uses for that cottage cheese now. My favorited ideas were the petso pasta & cheesecake smoothie.