Too many calories??

Options
When I joined this site a few weeks back after entering all my info. My goal calorie intake was set by site at 1480. Now I other than a day or two have been right around that or just below but after exercising I usually wind up being 300 to 400 calories under. My quesion is do you think that is too many calories for me to intake a day with or without the exercise? I always heard that a 1200 calories a day is good for a dieter? So should I try to be at 1200 calories a day or stick with what MFP site recommends? Thanks.

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    When I joined this site a few weeks back after entering all my info. My goal calorie intake was set by site at 1480. Now I other than a day or two have been right around that or just below but after exercising I usually wind up being 300 to 400 calories under. My quesion is do you think that is too many calories for me to intake a day with or without the exercise? I always heard that a 1200 calories a day is good for a dieter? So should I try to be at 1200 calories a day or stick with what MFP site recommends? Thanks.

1200 is the BARE MINIMUM. 1300-1500 is the suggested "good amount" for a typical woman.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    1200 + exercise calories is the MINIMUM you should eat, ever.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    And if you exercise eat all those cals...........
  • KKButter
    KKButter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    when I started MFP the site started me off at 1480 cal and then I burn about 800 cals or more a day dont always et them all back but I try to eat at least half and I lost 55 lbs :) now MFP cut my cal to 1280 so I'm still getting used to the 160 cal cut....the point to all that was I lost eating 1480 cals :)
  • nuttylou
    nuttylou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the calories the site gives you but choose healthy choices not filling up with empty calories and high cal foods for the sake of it!! Im finding it hard to eat my calories allowance tbh and Im not using my exercise ones neither which is not meant to be great but hey ho no point in forcing food down if im not hungry! xx
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    And if you exercise eat all those cals...........

Just link everyone to http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • williamhobbs
    Options
    Less than 1200 and the body goes into "starvation mode" and holds onto fat from what I've read.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    Honey I am a female at 180lbs eating 1500-1700 calories a day. :-D Healthy food is a good thing. your 1480 sounds fine... and heck, you may even be able to eat more on days you burn more!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    1200 calories is very low and intended for very small women. I am 5'2 small frame and did 1200 calories, I dont think someone even a couple inches taller than me should do it though.