Ikea Is Designed Like a Maze

Options
binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
Ikea Is Designed Like a Maze So You’ll Buy More Stuff

http://gizmodo.com/#!5789453/ikea-is-designed-like-a-maze-so-youll-buy-more-stuff

Kyle VanHemert — If you've ever been inside an Ikea, you probably know how hard it can be to get back outside that Ikea. It doesn't take much to end up feeling like a rat in a well-appointed but reasonably priced maze of furniture. Why? Because they want you to buy more stuff, of course. And now we have the numbers to prove it: a study at University College London showed that 60% of Ikea purchases were things shoppers hadn't originally planned on buying. Huh! I plan on having the last laugh during my next visit by making sure I put "delicious cafeteria meatballs" as item number one on my shopping list beforehand. [WSJ]

Something you always suspected, but it is confirmed. Last time I went there I felt like a spawning salmon.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I go straight for the Swedish meatballs...
  • crystal10584
    Options
    I love that place and my boyfriend works there. :) It's all about willpower.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i absolutely hate that shop:smile:
  • azmomof2
    azmomof2 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Lol wow I never thought of why it's set up like that and honestly got lost and annoyed people by going the "wrong way" my first time there! :tongue:
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I always get so lost there. My rule of thumb when going to Ikea is like Costco: If I can't carry it I'm not buying. I never get a cart at those places unless I NEED it for a purchase I'm planning on. I mainly spend all my time in Ikea's food section anyways. I love their potato pancakes!!! mmmmm I do want to plan on eating in the cafeteria type area one time. I wonder if they have nutrition available....or I guess I could get it off the stuff they sell. Think it'd be the same?
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love Ikea... and always head straight for those yummy meatballs!!! Good thing the closest Ikea is 500 miles away so I can't go too often!!!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options

sooo do i. my favorite is the one in west covina so you don't have to fight for parking. you go in.. and prepare yourself for the adventure of your life. i have often dreamed of living in an ikea... just me and my crafting supplies ... in ikea. :p mmmm ikea is adult disneyland. it makes me so happy i can't see straight. you should see the crazy swedish anime viking pillows i made from their fabric section. seriously... it makes me happy. and its cheap. not cheap like a day hooker i mean cheap like bargain black friday except every day of the week cheap.

did i mention that it makes me happy!? i've owned 2 beds from ikea, one sofa, multiple sets of drawers. and i'm a master at following weird stick figure instructions. i can put together anything from that joint. :P

i once put together my sister's mom's (nevermind that!) chairs backwards. it was hilarious. i blame my sister. she was my apprentice that day. :p

i can write an entire 5th grade style essay on ikea.

it makes me want to go to sweden.

it makes me love lingenberries!!!

i want to work there just for the sheer joy of working there. they have plants!

its random... and i love random.

their fabrics are cheaper than my fabric store and better styles! i am making a dress right now! woo!

ok ... i've gone too far about my happy place. ikea.. i'd marry you like sailors are married to the sea if it were possible.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I love Ikea... and always head straight for those yummy meatballs!!! Good thing the closest Ikea is 500 miles away so I can't go too often!!!

I always have to go there halfin the bag, otherwise I will have an anxiety attack.

Putting together the items is done the next day. with wine.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Werd my brother. The food place is eeeevil!
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Ikea is bad but to make matters worse, the Mall of America is right across the street. I swear I need a GPS to get around there. Finding my car again...forget it.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    i've never been to an Ikea. and i probably never will. anything i want from there is on sale on Craigslist for a fourth the price six months later anyways.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    That's so funny. Just yesterday I posted:

Too bad there's not an exercise called "Trying To Find The Exit At IKEA".

I went looking for a digital food scale. The best they had has a margin of error of +or- 1/4 ounce. Just so happens 1/4 ounce is exactly what I want to measure. Grrrrrr! I'm thinking of going to the convenience store and getting one of "those" scales. The ones they keep in the glass case next to the "tobacco" pipes.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad the closest Ikea is 2 hours away. Lol. Still trying to figure out what they put in the air at Target to make me forget what I went there for and still leave with $100 worth of merchandise.....
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    My closest Ikea has a secret shortcut.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    That's so funny. Just yesterday I posted:

Too bad there's not an exercise called "Trying To Find The Exit At IKEA".

I went looking for a digital food scale. The best they had has a margin of error of +or- 1/4 ounce. Just so happens 1/4 ounce is exactly what I want to measure. Grrrrrr! I'm thinking of going to the convenience store and getting one of "those" scales. The ones they keep in the glass case next to the "tobacco" pipes.

LOL!! dude those are the most accurate scales.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out what they put in the air at Target to make me forget what I went there for and still leave with $100 worth of merchandise.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

If you figure it out, will you please let me know?! I am the EXACT same way!!