Healthier Choices at the Bar

Options
I'm 23, single, and a graduate student. So naturally, I spend a fair amount of downtime in a few local bars. :wink: I have about two, sometimes three drinks on the nights I go out, and I've been able to give up high-calorie culprits like long island iced teas and liqueurs. And, thank God, I'm really not a beer drinker.

Does anyone have suggestions for low-calorie alcoholic choices so that I'm not drinking the same thing all the time? I try to stick to screwdrivers and sangria (mmm), but am thinking about making a habit out of just red wine or maybe vodka and soda water with lime.

Replies

• anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Just one shot of any booze has quite a bit of calories in it. There is no such thing as diet vodka! LOL!

Red wine is probably your best choice, just don't over-do it or you will have a violent headache the next day!
  • suzeboyko
    suzeboyko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Or try a White Wine Spritzer. So it's wine; diet soda water and lemon and lime.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I settle for a vodka soda w/ lime or a vodka water w/ lime but in general, I'm trying to avoid alcohol for the first few months. How I'll resist sitting in the sun drinking margaritas all day with my friends this summer, I don't know!
  • thisisjulz
    Options
    Red wine.
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Appletinis are supposedly lower in calories. You can always ask for a skinny "whatever" when you go out.
  • erickadoeshair
    Options
    rum and diet coke is about 65 calories!!! :) Its all i will order.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love red wine... but agree you can't have too many glasses and still feel good the next day!! Especially if your at a crowded bar it's not necessarily appropriate to be holding a wine glass.. Once I've had my fill of red wine, I usually move over to grape flavored vodka with club soda. One shot of grape vodka is 60 cals, club soda zero cals...not too bad!
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    one shot of vodka only has 64 calories in it... & diet soda/drinks have 0 calories... i gave up drinking mixed drinks years ago (too many unnecessary cals)!! i only drink shots and chase them w/a low/no cal beverage... since joining mfp, i've been able to successfully decrease my calories from food to allow for a few shots (once a wk or so)... good luck!!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Jack and diet coke
    Vodic Tonic
    Skinny Girl Margharita
  • dawnyl25
    dawnyl25 Posts: 16
    Options
    man i wish you would have posted this before Spring Break. i think i gain 4 bls just from being drunk for a week straight. lol its good to know that rum and coke is only 60+ cals. thats my drink!!!
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    The Skinny recommends bourbon. I would recommend lots of ice.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! The wine spritzer actually sounds really good. And I didn't think of adding flavored vodka to liven up club soda (I CAN'T give up my vodka...)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I really love Kaluha. Probably a TON of calories.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Most drinks in a bar are made with 2 shots. That's 120 calories per drink. Who only has ONE drink at a bar?

If I'm pouring myself a nice GnT at home, I pour at LEAST 2 shots...more like 3. It adds up fast.

a 5oz glass of chardonnay is around 100 calories....red wine has about 20 more calories.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I go to the bar... it's my treat night. I just try and keep an eye on how many i have but not worry about going over. heck it's like once every month or two... last time i had drinks was in the beginning of february! lol.
  • erickadoeshair
    Options
    ooooOOOOo... sugar free redbull and vodka!!!! :)