Sedentary Lifestyle - Exercises??

Options
Hey everyone. I'm new to MFP, and I've taken to the food diary / limits quite well. But I'm having great difficulties incorporating exercise into my life. I'm the kind who doesn't need to be moving a lot. I'm content to sit all day.

Obviously I would like this to change. I have come up with a great idea (I think), where I tie weights around my feet. (I used to do gymnastics - they're soft spongy bracelet like things that weigh from half a kilo to one or two each. Runners sometimes use them.) Then when I sit at my desk I elevate my feet up and down slowly to help burn up some calories. Its a tiny, token thing but I think it would help.

Does anyone have other tips like this that would help make a sedentary life a little more active? I log a lot of time driving in the car each week, but there are limits to what you can do safely that doesn't divert your attention from driving. Just wondering if anyone has a similar lifestyle and had developed some ideas.

Replies

• keepitoff99
    keepitoff99 Posts: 117
    Options
    On the biggest loser, the one guy (not sure of his name) lost a lot of weight air boxing and moving his upper body while sitting.
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    The smallest thing can make a difference... If you work in an office get up regularly and walk around, you should do this not only for exercise but to be following good ohs. What would you normally do for you breaks? Why not take a walk instead of eating at a desk or table. Get up a bit earlier in the morning, take your ipod and go for a walk. I know its mainly walking suggestions but I myself can lead a fairly sedentary life and find that walkings an easy way to ease my way back into it.

Dont forget, that at the start, the most important thing is to get yourself moving.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand you're quite content to sit around all day, but how about dedicating a couple of weeks to seeing how it is to actively decide to go out somewhere and do something non-sedentary for half an hour a day? You might find you love it.
  • 323felicity
    Options
    You could get one of those hand/foot bike things (like this: http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=1272945&mba=0) and use that whenever you're sitting around at home. Also, if you sit in a backless chair when possible, it helps to work your core.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I understand you're quite content to sit around all day, but how about dedicating a couple of weeks to seeing how it is to actively decide to go out somewhere and do something non-sedentary for half an hour a day? You might find you love it.

Yes, this! Activity can become addictive. I used to be content to sit at the computer all day, but since I made being active a priority, I have much more energy. I feel bad when I'm sedentary now.

Getting my exercise is as important to my well-being as taking my daily medications. Plus, the more active I am, the more I can eat, and I looooove to eat! :smile:
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You could get one of those hand/foot bike things (like this: http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=1272945&mba=0) and use that whenever you're sitting around at home. Also, if you sit in a backless chair when possible, it helps to work your core.

Sitting on a stability ball at home helps me. I use it when I watch tv or mess around on the computer, and it's helping to strengthen my back.