Stop Smoking!!

Options
Hello everyone!
Is any one a current smoker trying to quit or an ex smoker? I need to quit smoking and have tried the patch, the gum and cold turkey, but I seem to just go back to it when I get stressed out. Any helpfull tips on what helped you break the habit? And has anyone tried chanix i beleive its called? Any and all feedback would be great!

Thanks,
Michele

Replies

• fukuyama
    fukuyama Posts: 43
    Options
    You mean Champix? Don`t take the pills! My brother tried them and he said he was hallucinating and felt like crap for the 3 days he was on them...

I stopped smoking 3 months ago and my only advice is this: If you REALLY want to stop you will find the willpower to do so. The 3 first days are the hardest, then it`s really in your head.

OR
    Start gradually... one cigarette at a time. Just try to cut a cigarette per day for a week, then two cigarettes per day, etc...

Good luck
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Yes I've gave up smoking using champix, it was wonderful! I know of lots of people who have given up using it without a problem but if you have a history of mental problems, depression etc it may affect you adversely.

It was the easiest means of giving up I've ever used and it's nearly been a year now for me. I was a very heavy smoker, a packet a day, if I woke up during the night I'd get up and smoke, that's how addicted I was.

I'm very confident that I'll never smoke again, you don't realise how controlled you were as a smoker until you give up, I'm free now.
  • Boomz
    Boomz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can vouch for Champix definately. True, it does make you feel a bit nauseous for the first few weeks you take it, but the positive is I was down from 30 a day to 3 on the day before I set a quit date. The doc should set you up with the *mytimetoquit.com* website which is all kinds of awesome in support, and information, statistics and a general pep up for what ur going through.

BUT, it is a 3 month course, and you have to see it through until the end to really maximise your chance of staying quit.

I have friends who are still off the smokes 2 years after the program.

Myself on the other hand, felt invincible after the first month and didnt complete the course. I found myself back on the cigs 3 months later. I currently finished day 3 of my cold turkey attempt. Pray for me :)
  • losindababyweight
    Options
    I smoked for like 10 years and tried several times to quit, all different kinds of approaches too. The only thing that worked (after several times of trying) was cold turkey!

I know...it sucks! The cravings do go away, I promise!

It helped to change up my routine completely, something different to break the habit.

Also give yourself a reason to quit, mine was my daughter and my father (who died of lung cancer).

Smoke free for 2 years plus now.

You can do it! Stay positive!
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    you can quit smoking and do it on your own...YOU just have to the one to do it... i quit 2 years ago. and i was a serious heavy smoker for 30 years(im 42) i know i was a bad kid. you have to WANT to really quit . the stress will be there regardless if you smoke or not~~~its the way YOU deal with it cigarettes dictate your life and what ,where, when you do things, take back your life and try and enjoy life and knowing you can get healthier.

good luck'
    lori~ add me as a friend if you would like
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have book I am going to email you.

You can smoke while you read it.

It worked for me, I love to share it.
  • michele122189
    Options
    Thank you for all your feedback!! I'm going to my doc today! ill keep ya posted on the results!
  • obradovichm
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I really want to quit smoking, but I'm not willing to do the pill, as I've heard of some really awful side effects.

While I know it isn't a smoking cessation tool, I've been looking into the e-cigarette. I know it's still not healthy for you and still a very young product, but without nicotine in it, I'm wondering if I can manage the nicotine cravings with gum or the patch, and quell my oral fixations on the ACT of smoking by using the e-cigarette for awhile, until I'm able to overcome the worst part of the cravings and withdrawl.

I had quit smoking for six months before, cold turkey, and after a month or so, it was okay. I'm still looking at my options this time, as I want this to be a perminent one.
  • nuttylou
    nuttylou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I gave up smoking on 11th December cold turkey. I found that sucking mints helped me as it helped to keep my breath smelling fresh and I didnt want to ruin it by stinking of smoke..
    I can honestly say that the 1st two weeks were hell. I have 5 children and I am a third year student studying a Bsc Honours in Midwifery so my life is pretty stressful at times!
    My partner still smokes but outside and if anything it now motivates me more as it smells bloody awful!
    Willpower & persistence will get you through, my motto is that if you really want to beat it you will because usually the people that dont who make excuses and re-start..

If it is what you really want go for it. Good luck xxx
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 years ago. I cut back to half of what I was normally smoking, and then quit the rest of the way using the gum. Exercise and brushing your teeth frequently helps. Good luck!
  • michele122189
    Options
    The gum and patch worked to an extent, the problem with the two for me was the patch made me wake up every two to three hours a night and gave me horrible nightmares, and the gum was like chewing on a pepper and left a horrible chalky taste in my mouth.
  • dmjinx
    dmjinx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have quit it has been about 3 yrs now I used the gum, and like others are saying willpower is the key, maybe different flavors of the gum would help I used the fruitchill gum, good luck to you and keep trying it can be done.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi Michele,

Do you REALLY want to quit?

If so read on...
    I quit almost 15 years ago. Sadly, there is nothing out there that will help you "not" feel the desire to smoke. It may make the "need" less, but not the desire. Smoking is a physical and mental habit. Smoking actually hits a "pleasing" center in your brain, making it a comfort. Also, it is a ritual habit too... For instance, I got in the car, reached down for my pack, rolled down the window... all those things gave comfort since they were a ritual... a pattern that's been rewarded for years culminating in a feeling of comfort.... the smoking itself.

It's tough when you have the same smoking friends and go out for a glass of wine and they light up too! Anyway, your best bet is to print out the reasons you want to quit... print it in multiples and post the notes everywhere you find the old habits sneaking that little hint of desire. A note on your dashboard, a note in your pocketbook. If you have children or loved ones... add their photo to the copies. They NEED you. Maybe you can't quit for yourself, but your loved ones... can you quit for them? Perhaps buy a locket necklace with your loved ones photo in it. Squeeze the locket when you have the desire and know the reason to quit is more important than the desire to keep smoking.

My mantra was, "I am willing to deny myself the relief of a smoke, because I know that desire will become less and less each day." It did become less and less, very slowly though, it took a few years before the desire was completely gone. It's a long journey. If you screw up, know that you are still making progress. Less and less each day, then each month, each year, etc... is progress.

Looking back I highly suggest meditation. Even if you only have a few seconds to spare. I didn't do it then, but since I ended up stuffing my mouth with food when I wanted a cigarette, I know I wouldn't do it the same way again. Relax, take a deep breath, ask yourself , "What do I really want?", do not answer that question... just pause for a bit of silence until you are noticeably relaxed, deep breath again, "What is my purpose?" I know that sounds SUPER corny... but it works. You will lower your blood pressure and start making good decisions.

You and your loved ones deserve a healthier you! Good luck and let us know how else we may be able to help. You are not alone! You can do this! I wish you well!
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi! I recently quit. I've been using the Commit lozenges since I'd heard that the patch and gum doesn't really work. I can say that the lozenges have worked like a charm for me. But don't get me wrong, there are days when you will still get the urge. You just have to stay strong (and maybe go pop a lozenge in your mouth to help ease the urge). So far, I've been doing well and it's been going on four months. =)
  • hwngirl09
    Options
    I was on Chantix for two months. I can honestly say, it's the greatest drug on earth!! I had no side effects except for nausea. But I discovered that eating first, then waiting a half hour or so before taking my daily dose helped to alleviate the "sick to my stomach" feeling. Other than that, I had no cravings and didn't even think about smoking when I was taking it. Unfortunately, I have started up again but plan to quit for good after I have reached my weight loss goal :-) I can't do both at once!
  • Behavioral
    Options
    Zyban finally worked for me. I take Buprion, which is Zyban by a different name. I ran out one month and went several weeks without my medication. When I went back on the Buprion, about a week later, I forgot to buy cigarettes. Then I just decided that since I was training for a marathon in September, it would be good to really cut back. I decided to only smoke when I really, really needed it. Turned out after all these years of smoking that was the trick that worked for me. The Zyban/Buprion really helped the cravings and anxiety and the running gave me the motivation. I started the quitting thing on January 8th and have had 3 cigarettes since. I don't worry about the single cigarettes I smoke b/c I never really meant to "quit". Weird, I know, but it really worked.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Yes I've gave up smoking using champix, it was wonderful! I know of lots of people who have given up using it without a problem but if you have a history of mental problems, depression etc it may affect you adversely.

It was the easiest means of giving up I've ever used and it's nearly been a year now for me. I was a very heavy smoker, a packet a day, if I woke up during the night I'd get up and smoke, that's how addicted I was.

I'm very confident that I'll never smoke again, you don't realise how controlled you were as a smoker until you give up, I'm free now.

CHAMPIX great u feel a bit sick alright for the first few days but nothing major hardly any cravings serious it is great... Poo to cold turkey when u can have this i say...
  • ladycasper
    ladycasper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I 'm in the same boat as you. I have tried ziban or what ever it's called and cold turkey. I quit cold turkey twice but after 3 years each time I was back smoking always due to stress. This time I went on the patch and it worked for about 6 months.... now I'm a part time smoker... LOL if there is such a thing. I smoke at work and if I'm around smokers but don't crave other wise. So most evenings and weekends I don't have any. I found the patch really helped get rid of that anxious feeling I get when I crave. I think I'm just going to have to use the patch during work. It is so hard to quit I wish I never started all those years ago. So I guess what I'm saying is if you find some thing that works please let me know. :) Good luck :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I can vouch for Champix definately. True, it does make you feel a bit nauseous for the first few weeks you take it, but the positive is I was down from 30 a day to 3 on the day before I set a quit date. The doc should set you up with the *mytimetoquit.com* website which is all kinds of awesome in support, and information, statistics and a general pep up for what ur going through.

BUT, it is a 3 month course, and you have to see it through until the end to really maximise your chance of staying quit.

I have friends who are still off the smokes 2 years after the program.

Myself on the other hand, felt invincible after the first month and didnt complete the course. I found myself back on the cigs 3 months later. I currently finished day 3 of my cold turkey attempt. Pray for me :)

I have quit twice now using Chantix (is Champix a UK version?)...and the above is definitely true..the first time I quit taking the pills as soon as I quit smoking and I only lasted a few months. This time I took the full course and so far I'm doing really well.
    The second time around I took a *really* low dose...the scrip is 1 pill 2x daily but I cut them in half and only took 1/2 once a day (right before bed). This because it did upset my stomach a lot. It still worked very well for me.

The only side effect I had was crazay dreams, like OMG WTF really nutso - very lifelike, intense stuff. Some fun (closet with infinite supply of kittens), some were not so fun. But my personality and attitude stayed the same, and the dreams were completely worth it to quit smoking. I smoked at least a pack a day for 25 years and never thought I would be able to go a day without a smoke.

Best of luck to you and feel free to friend me if you want support :)
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nineteen years I was a smoker for. In the end I had tried everything gum,patches , cold turkey. I gave up for a year and a half was my most but I was quitting and starting again for ages.
    Then last year I researched the e-cigerette and bought one. The 501 and I loved it at first but after a few weeks I'd grown out of it. Then this year I was getting pains and a bad throat so back came the e-cig and a new one had debuted so I checked out the tornado tank and wow it had a great throat hit and produced lots of vapour. So I was sold I have a few cigs when I have a drink then straight back to my E-cig the next day. But I feel so much healthy than when I smoked. There is no confirmation on wether the e-cig is better than a normal cig but they are researching now, but they have 4000 less of the chemicals in a normal cig but still contain nicotine. Just google tornado tank or e-cig tank to find out more. It's done me wonders.