I'm like the Hunchback of Notre Dame :(

Options
My upper back is a little deformed as you can tell from this photo:
http://i56.tinypic.com/24zxgqq.jpg

I would love to go to a chiropractor, so he or she can give me exercises I can include in my daily exercise, but I don't have health insurance.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm 17 and I've had it for so long but it took me awhile to realize it. It sometimes causes me neck pain. Is there any exercise I could do at home that can help align my spine in the meantime?

Replies

• jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You have a dowagers hump..not uncommon. I have some info for ya. I work on these on a regular basis at your age this is easily reversible. I will shoot you a message we can chat.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    you should google scoliosis. My brother has it and his back looks like urs. he does back exercises, I'm sure u can find those online as well :)
  • mrsblair84
    Options
    Are you not on your parents insurance? I don't know if this will help or not, but see if there are any free clinics in your area and see if they can suggest anything or if they have somebody on site that may be able to help you. Good luck!
  • thinkskinny21
    thinkskinny21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I have mild scoliosis and my doctor has told me that when you work out do workout that strengthen your back muscles. Those muscle help your bones from shifting. While you are sitting or standing make sure you have really good posture (it sucks getting used to it) b/c that also will help it from getting worse. I am not a doctor so I don't know how to make it stop, as mine will probably never stop and will only worsen. Other than that your option is to go to a chiropractor who is going to want to see you 2 times a week and cost you a TON of money. In the end I know that the only way to stop mine is surgically. I hope that helps!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    A visit to the chiropractor without insurance coverage was around $90 for me. Worth it!!!

I actually had insurance, but they didn't cover that *kitten* for me anyway. Screw them.
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    you should google scoliosis. My brother has it and his back looks like urs. he does back exercises, I'm sure u can find those online as well :)
    I have been doing back exercises too. However I'm a bit conscious on what exercise I should do, just in case it doesn't make it worse. Thank you. :)
  • ktraubert
    ktraubert Posts: 29
    Options
    You have a dowagers hump..not uncommon. I have some info for ya. I work on these on a regular basis at your age this is easily reversible. I will shoot you a message we can chat.

By any chance could you send me this info as well, I would very much appreciate it. A doctor once told me it was because of unbalanced cortisol levels, but I think it's from poor posture. Thanks
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options

I would love to go to a chiropractor, so he or she can give me exercises I can include in my daily exercise, but I don't have health insurance.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm 17 and I've had it for so long but it took me awhile to realize it. It sometimes causes me neck pain. Is there any exercise I could do at home that can help align my spine in the meantime?

Are you sure it's spinal? Might it be a fat pad on the back of your neck?

I may be getting a little too far ahead of myself, but a fat pad on the back of the neck may be a sign of Cushing's Syndrome. I'm a part of a forum where a lot of women have metabolic disorders and many women come in complaining about their "hump." And then, most of them are diagnosed with Cushing's Syndrome.

Not to be scary or obnoxious (internet diagnosis-y), but that was the fist thing I thought of...all those "hunch-backed" women in my other forum. Just trying to be helpful, please don't take offense.
  • WinKitty
    Options
    By any chance could you send me this info as well, I would very much appreciate it. A doctor once told me it was because of unbalanced cortisol levels, but I think it's from poor posture. Thanks

Wiki Cushing's Syndrome. That's the cause of the hump (cortisol imbalance), but there are more symptoms, some that can be treated. Worth looking into, if it were me.
  • realia
    Options
    Are you not on your parents insurance? I don't know if this will help or not, but see if there are any free clinics in your area and see if they can suggest anything or if they have somebody on site that may be able to help you. Good luck!
    No, my mother is currently unemployed so she doesn't have health insurance either. I'll check on google to see if there's any free clinics. Thank you!
  • realia
    Options

Are you sure it's spinal? Might it be a fat pad on the back of your neck?

I may be getting a little too far ahead of myself, but a fat pad on the back of the neck may be a sign of Cushing's Syndrome. I'm a part of a forum where a lot of women have metabolic disorders and many women come in complaining about their "hump." And then, most of them are diagnosed with Cushing's Syndrome.

Not to be scary or obnoxious (internet diagnosis-y), but that was the fist thing I thought of...all those "hunch-backed" women in my other forum. Just trying to be helpful, please don't take offense.
    I'm guessing this isn't treatable. Thank you for this info. I'll check into it. I really hope this isn't the case :(
  • realia
    Options
    A visit to the chiropractor without insurance coverage was around $90 for me. Worth it!!!

I actually had insurance, but they didn't cover that *kitten* for me anyway. Screw them.
    Seems reasonable but I'm probably going to have to visit the chiropractor a lot more than once and I don't have that kind of money.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Huh!! Who freakin knew??? I've been living with mine forEVER and had no idea that it could be indicative of something more serious... this linked with fertility issues, hormone issues (when I DID get pregnant I never tested positive!), near constant headaches and diagnosed with 2 differet types of migraines as well as myoclonic jerks... I REALLY need to get to the Dr and make them screen me for Cushings! Sheesh! Thanks for posting this!
  • jkleman79
    Options
    A dowagers hump comes from forward head posture...it is from the head being in the forward position for so long that the facet joints of the spine are stuck open in the lower cervical spine. This many people have...I would say 90% of my clientele I treat for this problem. Everyone that is interested try this once you might be SHOCKED...women and men tend to have this issue... mainly based on the job you do daily or carrying kids. Take your finger and push in on your pectoral muscles I am sure if you have this they are going to be VERY tender, probably more than you ever realized. You shouldnt be able to take a broom stick and touch both shoulders with it...your chest should be in the way majority of the time. EveryBODY is different. With hypertonic or tight pectoral muscles this causes pain in the upper back in the rhomboid area which can also cause forward head posture.. The human head weighs on average 7-8 pounds if placed in good posture about your shoulders...if forward it can weigh as much as 43 pounds. For example...hold your arm out to your side for 10 seconds...not very heavy right... Now do it for 12 hours like your head does all day long..this is easily fixable in early years... if you let it go you create arthritis and fusion in the vertebra and then you are stuck like that..

here is some info I found...it covers a lot of it. Its called upper crossed syndrome. http://www.drbookspan.com/NeckPainArticle.html

Hope some of this helps everyone.. work on this its important and will make you feel amazing and look 10 years younger.
  • WinKitty
    Options
    Huh!! Who freakin knew??? I've been living with mine forEVER and had no idea that it could be indicative of something more serious... this linked with fertility issues, hormone issues (when I DID get pregnant I never tested positive!), near constant headaches and diagnosed with 2 differet types of migraines as well as myoclonic jerks... I REALLY need to get to the Dr and make them screen me for Cushings! Sheesh! Thanks for posting this!

You are so very welcome.
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Most states have programs where children can get insurance, you should be eligible if your mom is unemployed.
    Good Luck.
  • realia
    Options
    I get constant migraines too. :T
  • realia
    Options
    Most states have programs where children can get insurance, you should be eligible if your mom is unemployed.
    Good Luck.
    Yeah, my mom is applying Medicaid and Child Health Plus but for now, we don't have anything to help us out.
  • jkleman79
    Options
    Migraines... come from the same stuff I am speaking of as well. Had a client with migraines 3-4 times a week.. Where she had to call off work all the time. After 3 months of treatment for upper cross syndrome she no longer had any migraines. It has been a year now and she is still migraine free. Do the research and find someone to help you. I would love to if I was able.. buy me a private jet and i am all over it! =0)
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Migraines... come from the same stuff I am speaking of as well. Had a client with migraines 3-4 times a week.. Where she had to call off work all the time. After 3 months of treatment for upper cross syndrome she no longer had any migraines. It has been a year now and she is still migraine free. Do the research and find someone to help you. I would love to if I was able.. buy me a private jet and i am all over it! =0)

LOL you're too funny!!

Maybe for the OP it could be upper cross syndrome but I think the more I look at the wiki description I'm fitting 80-90% of the symptoms. So a full dr. appt with blood work is in the cards for me.