How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I have heard conflicting opinions on how often to weigh myself. Some say that you should only weigh in once a week so you can celebrate your goals others say to weigh yourself every day so you can catch a problem before it becomes out of hand (gaining or losing too fast). Personally, I weigh myself every day, but of course with a weekly goal of -2 lbs, most days I see no change and it is discouraging. I don't like surprises, so waiting a whole week and ending up with good or very bad news would kill me! :ohwell: Any thoughts?

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I like it and for me it works. Others let the numbers discourage them but for me it totally motivates me. I only "officially weigh in once a week but I do weigh daily...many times daily some days :laugh:
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Lately I have only been weighing in like once a month but I joined a group on here where we weigh in every week and see who loses the most weight and what not. But honestly, I like to wait for a few weeks. I get discouraged if I look every day.
  • trish1960
    trish1960 Posts: 39
    Options
    I weigh every morning. So I know what I'm working with.
  • willrun4redvines
    Options
    Once a week, usually Monday mornings. I prefer to focus on how my clothes are fitting. Especially because that number is not changing, but my clothes are much looser than before.
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself daily for the same reason, helps keep me accountable for what I eat.
  • brindle619
    Options
    I havent weighed myself since my initial weigh in. Im tring to lose 20 pounds by may 16th. Im gonna weigh myself on the 15th
  • caswiny
    caswiny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I could quite easily weigh in every day bit Ive started a diet club in work now so we weigh every 10 days cos of the shift pattern we work. I didn't lose anything last time but it's motivated me so am looking forward to the next weigh in x
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a week for me. Splitting the difference in philosophies, I guess.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I weigh in every 2nd Thursday. I used to weigh myself every day but would get frustrated/disappointed! This way, every 2nd week, I will at least show a one pound weight drop! So that makes me happy!
  • jerikamarie123
    Options
    I also weigh myself everyday, it helps me see that either my hard work is paying off or that I need to push myself harder! If I waited a whole week to find out that I wasn't pushing it hard enough, and lost 0lbs it would hurt me. I would much rather wake up one day no weight lose and kick but on my diet and exercise to make that number go down, then be disappointed later...But everyone is different!
  • sesko1961
    sesko1961 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day to keep me in check and so I can plan for the day, but I also concentrate on one day a week (Friday) as a goal date of being down in my weight. I don't worry too much about how much, as long as I am losing.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every sunday morning ,but on wednesday i check to make sure im on track.i have not lost or gained anything in three weeks kinda stuck.help lol but i did lose 26 lbs so far.:happy:
  • PharmGirl92
    Options
    I also weigh daily. I "officially" weigh in weekly but I step on the scale daily so that I know where I am standing at the start of each day. It keeps me more accountable and prevents the amount of damage that I can do in a week. If I have a bad day I brush myself off and start over rather than one bad day turning into seven bad days.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but only record the change in weight once a week. I just like to keep an eye on what my body is doing.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning almost ritualistically its bordering on OCD BUT I only "count" Friday morning weighs. My "current" weight and what I consider a loss only happens then. I log all of the weights in MFP because I like to go back and find trends with calorie/food consumption, exercise, TOM that type of thing.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning almost ritualistically its bordering on OCD BUT I only "count" Friday morning weighs. My "current" weight and what I consider a loss only happens then. I log all of the weights in MFP because I like to go back and find trends with calorie/food consumption, exercise, TOM that type of thing.

For example I know a high sodium dinner will give me a lb of water weight next morning, if I am really sore from a workout it is anywhere from .5-1lb. If I have a bad eating day (high carb/sugar or binge) it will take two days to show up on the scale. I know two before TOM I will gain two lbs at towards the end I will lose those and usually 1 more if I control my cravings during that time. This helps me. It could be too much information for some...
  • Lkors
    Lkors Posts: 5
    Options
    I also weigh in every day. If you don't weigh in frequently, it's harder to know what to fix. Some say that the number changes too much every day for it to be accurate, but I find that the amount of exercise and amount of food that I put in directly shows on the scale, except for during that time of the month.
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do it daily, but do not live or die by those numbers. I do it mostly for keeping records so I can look back and find patterns when bumped up with my daily diary.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and am the rare MFPer who logs it every day. I like to use the Report Tool and I can see exactly what is going on. I don't get mentally freaked out by daily fluctuations so I see no issue with weighing daily. However, if you can't psychologically handle seeing the scale fluctuate up and down every day, stick to weekly weigh ins.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it on MFP because I like the little graph. Only Thursdays "count", though.