How to figure(Probably for Fitness EXPERTS)

Options
Does anyone know the BEST formula for figuring my minimum and maximum heart rate levels for my new HRM? I've never been this serious before so therefor I am leaning all this stuff and google has OVERLOADED me on how to figure this out!! Thanks.

Replies

• cjjohnson1
    cjjohnson1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age. I am unsure of the site, but just google it. You count your heart rate for 6 seconds, then add a zero , ex 16 beats in 6 seconds, is a HR of 160.
  • melissamauney
    Options
    The formula that i found this morning cause I was trying to figure of the same thing is

220 subtract your age

Multiply that number by 0.60 that is your minimum
    Multiply the same # by 0.90 that is your max.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    From the Amer. Heart Assc. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736

Maximum heart rate 220-age
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The formula that i found this morning cause I was trying to figure of the same thing is

220 subtract your age

Multiply that number by 0.60 that is your minimum
    Multiply the same # by 0.90 that is your max.

This is correct. 65% of your maximum (220-age) is the fat burning zone and 85% of your maximum is the cardiovascular endurance zone. So shooting just under and just above these numbers is ideal.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    thanks all of u
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The 220-(age) will give you an average max heart rate. It is only an average--people who are more or less fit will be higher or lower.

If you want to do a test that you can do yourself in about 20-30 minutes with a treadmill or stationary bike, do a google search on the Foster Talk Test. In fact, here is the link to a site (pdf) that explains it exactly: http://heartzones.com/_pdf/The_Foster_Threshold_test.pdf

Essentially, the test takes you to the point where it becomes uncomfortable to recite about 50 words aloud (they use the Pledge of Allegiance). Your heart rate at that point is roughly 80% of its max. You can calculate your max HR from there.

Good luck.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I second the American Heart Assoc. link above. My HRM has "fitness test" built in and the results it calculated were right on target with the AHA guidelines. I figure they are the experts on heart health, so you can't go wrong on that site.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info.