Chicken.....from a CAN?

Options
Hey guys, this is going to seem so beyond silly, but question...i LOVE tuna...and that is from a can....but i just can't seem to fathom the idea of eating chicken from a can or a pouch...has anyone tried this? I am thinking this would be a good alternate for a lunch, I often take a lean cuisine (which is fine for me,) but sometimes i DO get bored...and then the desire to grab something fast is there..which makes it a downward spiral..ANYWAY, back to the point....

Anyone ever try the chicken from a can/pouch?....

makes me think of the GENIOUS Jessica Simpson....Is this Chicken of the Sea, CHICKEN?...OR TUNA?..." haha :)

Thanks Guys!

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I usually mix my canned chicken with a dash of Frank's Red Hot Sauce and a Laughing Cow Blue cheese wedge. Super yummy!!!
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think its ok. sometimes i use it in a homemade soup or on a salad.
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    I buy chicken in a can and leave them at work for lunch "emergencies." It keeps me from going out. I love the Great Value Chunk Chicken Breast from Wal-Mart. I just have a few ounces on a salad, or with a potato for my lunch. Nice to have on hand, and very filling. :glasses:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I just had canned chicken for lunch. Drain it well, mix with a tablespoon of sour cream, add spices (I chose cayenne and black pepper), and eat it on yummy crackers.
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have never used it before either, but bought some the other day just in case.
  • adonals
    adonals Posts: 1
    Options
    I think the canned chicken is actually really good. Less dry than tuna without adding anything to it.
    It is also low in calories.. add it to chicken broth or to the Mrs. Grass Chicken Soup Mix (70 calories a cup)
    and its a filling low calorie lunch. Worth a try! :)
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just finished up a batch of chicken salad that I made using a can of Swansons. I stretched it for the week and made four sandwiches and it filled me up each day. :-)
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i mix mine with some light miricle whip and a teaspoon of honey mustard and a slice or two of onion to make a plain chicken salad. it wan't too bad. I had the same fear but mixing it like I would for tuna, I was ok with it!
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I eat chicken in a can all the time!! haha I mix it up with some light miracle whip and eat it with honey crackers.... so delish!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I love to keep it for the same reasons on of the posters noted...work emergency lunches!! I'll either throw it in with some snow peas or toss it in a wheat tortilla with some cheddar cheese - toss in microwave and eat. The hot sauce and blue cheese sounds awesome- I'll have to give that a whirl!
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I recently started eating chicken from a can. I mix it, shredded 2% cheddar and salsa with my scrambled eggs for breakfast. It gives me a TON of protein to start my day for very little calories. It also keeps me full for a long time. I also use it when I make chicken salad with grapes, apples, pecans/walnuts and yogurt. It's super simple and delicious.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love tossing about half a can (warmed up) with a salad and light honey mustard...yumm!!!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I get the costco canned chicken. Sooo good! I mix it with mayo and celery and cashews for chicken salad and have it on a pita, or just with celery and mayo and broil it with cheese on bread. It works for anything you would want cooked, shredded chicken for.
  • BrayyNicole
    BrayyNicole Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yummy.. canned chicken can make a mean chicken taco or wrap when youre in a hurry; pop it in the microwave, add your toppings and youre good to go!

I personally dont have a problem with canned meat every once in awhile.. I mean I do use salmon in a can as well when I make baked croquettes =)
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I find it great and convinient! I usually always add something to it, as it seems bland to me, but it's great! I;ve made soups with it, enchiladas, salads, wraps, etc.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use it once in a while, usually for quesidillas.
    Canned chicken, salsa, northern beans and a little cheese in a flour tortilla, brown boths sides in a pan then bake it in the oven until hot.
    The canned chicken can be high in sodium.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    YUMM!!! Thanks guys for all of your opinions and suggestions, I may have to try a few. The chicken salad sounds DELISH..and I could probably throw some plain greek yogurt in there and make a really high protein lunch, on a wheat wrap or pita, ooh, making myself hungry! lol.

Appreciate the feedback!
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I usually mix my canned chicken with a dash of Frank's Red Hot Sauce and a Laughing Cow Blue cheese wedge. Super yummy!!!

sounds sooo good!
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's tasty but it's loaded with sodium.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    . I mean I do use salmon in a can as well when I make baked croquettes =)

Care to share your recipe? I use this recipe (http://www.chitterlings.com/salmon-croquettes.html), but as they're fried, it's not exactly low-cal.