Exercise schedule

Options
So..I have been working out for 3-40 minutes everyday during the week (except 1) since Feb. 14th. ON the weekends, I have started giving it 90 minutes on the treadmill. I am considering cutting that to maybe 3 days during the week, and of course still including the weekend time. I am starting to feel lately like I just dont have time to do much during the week...not that there is much for me to do..but by the time I get home from work, exercise, eat, log calories, plan and log for next day...clean up the kitchen, I have maybe an hour at the most left to just unwind, chill out. then bed. I was just wondering if I cut the exercise for those two days that week, if that would drastically cut my loss? Of couse, I do usually eat back most of those calories, so that would be something that I would definately have to get use to not doing..since there would be none....ha
I dont even know if I should be considering THIS....I just dont want to get burned out I guess. Not that I am...to that extent, as I do enjoy doing it..and the one day I missed, I felt guilty!! Maybe I should cut those two days down to one mile on the treadmill instead of the 2+ i usually do?
Thoughts?

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The trick is to really vary your routine. Anyone who does too much of one thing is bound to get hurt. Plus, if you overtrain you actually store fat. :(

Here's my routine (and some weeks it changes if I'm away on the weekend):

Monday: Zumba
    Tuesday: Centergy (cross between power yoga and pilates)
    Wednesday: Weights and 1/2 hr on the elliptical
    Thursday: Centergy
    Friday: I try to do same as Wednesday but most often I get to Fridays and say 'screw it'
    Saturday: Centergy or a hike or walk if I'm home
    Sunday: Same as Wednesday if I'm home. Hike or walk if I'm not
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over and switching my schedule. but I will do at least 45 minutes a day of something. The only thing I do daily is sitting on my balance disc@ work,
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Ideally they say that you should give your body one day of rest anyway for muscle repair, although that can be hard to do when you are in the exercise groove/routine/habit. If you like exercising every day, cut down the length of time (I believe the recommendation is 30-45 minutes a day) so that you have some time to do other things.
  • jessecates
    Options
    I used to struggle with the same problem of exercising after work dominating my entire evenings and not having time for anything else. And if something came up and friends wanted to get together for a drink or dinner then my workout plans were basically screwed or I had to ditch my social life.

My solution?

Start waking up between 4:30-5:00 am and getting in your workouts before you leave for work. Yeah it means sacrificing some sleep, but eventually your body will adjust - or at least mine did. Morning workouts aren't for everyone, but I will say they work for me.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    i used to do that years ago..get up and ride 20 miles on the stationary bike before work....ha...NOT sure i can anymore. And I thought you werent really supposed to do that on an empty stomach? But you are right, in that I have NO social life now due to this exercise.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    oops that is 30-40 min
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Fridays are my rest days. Every week. If I have a Sunday morning race, Friday and Saturday are my rest days.