Logging While Abroad????

Options
In one month I leave for Dharmasala, India and will be there for two weeks. I'm going for work, and will have a rigorous schedule. I will have little control over the food that I am offered. What's more, I won't really know much about what I am eating. It will be Indian and Tibetan food, and some of the things I've eaten there, while absolutely fabulous, are completely unidentifiable to me. Is that meat? or a cheese? I get a porridge every morning, and I have no idea what kind of grain its made of. Even if I did, I'd be hard pressed to find accurate nutritional info anywhere. So.....how should I handle this? Your thoughts?

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Try asking what a food is ... then estimate.
  • summer_anne
    Options
    I would say don't worry about logging so much as watching your portion sizes, just don't overfill yourself:wink:
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would say don't worry about logging so much as watching your portion sizes, just don't overfill yourself:wink:

Yes, exactly. Drink a lot of water beforehand and eat all of your veggies and watch your portions with everything else--especially if it is creamy.
  • kalmark
    kalmark Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you know the name you can find lot of indian entries in this site.
    If you can send me the Food items i can find it for u if you want :happy:
    porridge can be made with Vermicelli which is like noodles or dry cracked wheat

Kathy
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    I can totally relate! I spent two weeks in India earlier this year (first two weeks of January) and I just did my best to log in as much as I could every day.

I asked a LOT of questions and posed it more as "I'm just really interested in the food and culture" instead of "OMG HOW MAN CALS IS THIS?!?!" and people were quite friendly and willing to explain the food. Everything was an approximation, but I was able to lose some weight while I was there - a lot of the food is vegetables, which really helps!

Feel free to add me or message me if you want more info...I have a LOT of tips and tricks from my experience in India.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Embrace the experience and have fun!
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Im off to Indonesia next month for 2 weeks, and I'm not even going to try to log foods. Apart from the fact that I dont want to spend my days in internet cafes trying to add up what I've eaten, I'm just looking at this holiday as a break for my body and will get back on track when I get home. I'm going to try and resist having too many beers and icecreams, and will be swimming at least once a day, but if a gain a little bit then I will just have to deal with that and lose it again....
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! You've given me some great ideas and a better perspective. Thank you :D
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

First of all, ENJOY your time abroad. And while you may not be able to log accurately, hopefully you will find the time and place to get some exercising in......take a walk.....use the fitness center at your hotel if there is one.....take a "Walk Away the Pounds" DVD with you to use in your room. Watch your portion sizes when you do eat, and make good choices.

Then, when you get back, you can get right back on track doing the things that you have been doing to be successful up to this point.

Kaye
  • paulaercksn
    paulaercksn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book righ tnow called Food Rules. It says that Western food (meaning the U.S) is the cause of a lot of preventable diseases, like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.... The cause of most of this is processed foods and refined sugars. So what does this have to do with your time abroad??? I say that as long as you are watching your portions you will probably be fine. Don't worry about logging. Enjoy the experience and maintain the good habits you've learned by using MFP.

Good luck!