Advice on sit-ups for bad backs

Options
Hi :)

Just wondering about alternatives to doing sit ups? That I can do at home, with no equipment? I'd like to tone up my stomach, but I have a sore/sometimes bad lower back, and I find I can't really do sit ups with it. I do push ups on my knees to keep my back from being strained and that's fine.

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you have a recliner you can do them that way takes alot of pressure of back, really its doing crunches but very close to sit ups! Prob could do the same with stiff pillows/couch cushions.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    -Get a balance ball and lay with it on your lower back. Do little crunches to the front and sides...and work your way up to full sit ups.
    -Try situps on carpet or on a mat
    -Lay on your back and do the bicycle with your feet. Its a good workout for your abs and its not so much of a strain!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ****s sporting goods has bender balls on clearance right now. they are 15.00. I love my bender ball. I think it helps with weak backs and helps make them stronger.
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i find that doing standing abdominal work does pretty good! if you go to youtube and look up "zumba conteo", this is an ab exercise we do in Zumba, it is super easy to do and the first time i did it my abs hurt for 3 days
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a new ab routine today that I'm excited about. It involves:

Supermans
    Hip Bridges
    Metronomes
    Plank Lifts
    Side Planks

And I'm going to throw in some crunches on the exercise ball.

Do two sets of each exercise, between 10-12 reps each. Message me if you have any questions about how to do them! :)
  • christalle7118
    Options
    Not sure if you would be interested but I have found that a workout ball helps alot...you can get them for about $13
  • FAKECED
    FAKECED Posts: 61
    Options
    Do not allow the top of your shoulders touch the ground when you go back. That puts stress on your lower back
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy, I guess, but I have been known to do sit ups in my bed. I can't do them on the floor, my lower spine digs into the floor. I tried yoga mats, several yog mats, pillows... My bed was the only place to do them.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why the first name of the sporting goods store is *** out.

the name of the store, if he were to use his full name, is Richard's sporting goods does this help?
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't know how low on your back your problem area. Mine is WAY low with a tilted pelvis and strained Sciatica. The best that I have found is straight up planks. Get into push-up position and then just hold. They are great for overall core strength as well.
  • SweetLime67
    SweetLime67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a bad lower back too. What I do now is crunches instead of full sit ups and bicycle crunches seem to be the easiest on my back yet give me the best workout (especially in the lower abs which is so hard to tone). Then i do the same amount of supermans as crunches. To do a superman, lie on your belly with your arms stretched above your head and your legs together. Then lift your arms and legs off the floor as far as you can. These balance the crunches and since I've started this routine my back actually hurts less than it ever has. Hope that helps!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you have a recliner you can do them that way takes alot of pressure of back, really its doing crunches but very close to sit ups! Prob could do the same with stiff pillows/couch cushions.

I never even thought of this!! lmao I will totally have to try it and see... but the image in my head is of my hubby rolling around on the recliner trying to reach for the remote and me counting his sit ups. :laugh:
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options

Supermans
    Hip Bridges
    Metronomes
    Plank Lifts
    Side Planks

Do two sets of each exercise, between 10-12 reps each. Message me if you have any questions about how to do them! :)

Runners World?

The Metronomes are tough! But my back always pops and cracks when I start them, so sometimes I'll do them randomly just to loosen my back up!
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I've got a lot of exercises to try out now :)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options

Supermans
    Hip Bridges
    Metronomes
    Plank Lifts
    Side Planks

Runners World?

The Metronomes are tough! But my back always pops and cracks when I start them, so sometimes I'll do them randomly just to loosen my back up!

Yup! Any ab routine concocted by runners is always a good one! I did it for the first time yesterday and I liked it a lot. It was very challenging but not so hard that I felt I wasn't putting my best effort into each exercise.