Shape Ups or Tone Ups?

Options
missbp
missbp Posts: 601 Member
So . . . I took my son for a new pair of kicks this afternoon and saw a cute pair of Sketchers Tone Ups. So, I bought them. The kids and I just took a good long walk around our very hilly neighborhood and I could feel a slight difference. They kind of give off a slight wobbly feeling and I could certainly feel some extra pull in my upper thighs.

Just wondering if anyone else has them and what do you think? Do you notice a difference, or is it all just hype?

Replies

• sara21
    sara21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if they work, too. I walk about 3 miles a day and am wondering if I should be walking in a pair of these.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I hear you can really tell the difference once the shoes come off!
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    LOL I think their ugly but if they work and your happy with them then that is all that matter.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say they are garbage.
    I have only heard bad things and injury from them.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have the K mart brand and I feel a difference. They help your posture too (which I know because I have the worlds worst posture and I now stand up straight) by making you use all your core muscles to help you stay standing. Mine are weak due to me not absorbing vitamins and such correctly, but they have helped strengthen them.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I got the Ryka toning shoes to wear at work (standing and walking a lot). I can't tell if they're toning, but my feet feel good in them, and they have good arch support and cushioning, and promote good posture.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I just got the Reebok Easy-Tones instead of the sketchers because they look like a regular sneak still. They have these cushy balls under the heel and forefoot and cause the same "instabillity" as the Sketchers that make your legs and butt work harder to stay balanced. I've been wearing them for about 3 days for my walks and I can feel it in my upper thigh backs and low back! I think they are doing what they claim.
  • Rachele329
    Options
    A report on the news a while ago said that they do work...you burn a little more calories per mile with them than without. I'm in the DC area if you want to look for the research...I'd look but headed to the gym myself in a minute...but I also know some people that have used them and though they like them they have a hard time using them bc they're too clumsy in them. If you feel a burn with them and you like them then keep at it!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The Tone Ups look like regular sneakers as well. They do not look like moon shoes like the Shape Ups.
  • lcoulter23
    Options

those would be the original shape ups. They caused a lot of people to sprain ankles and stuff. I never would have been able to wear those because I am a walking accident waiting to happen. (I'm a Klutz with a capital K). These ones are regular shoes without such a big difference.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

Well that is why God gave you an opinion. I had a friend who had a pair and she got great results. I now have a pair and really like them!:bigsmile:
  • wildbio
    wildbio Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of shape ups and was using them off and on and I did feel a difference after I would take them off. They are wobbly and I think that's the idea. I sprained my ankle recently (not from the shape ups) and haven't been able to use them again yet. But I plan to! I would use them to walk to the grocery store about a mile away and between the additional weight of the groceries, a couple hills and the distance, by the time I got home it would definitely feel like I worked out! They are ugly though. They are certainly not a pair of shoes I would wear unless I was working out. Give 'em a shot. If you end up not liking them, you can always sell them.
  • elleninez
    elleninez Posts: 44
    Options
    I bought a pair of Shape Ups, and I love them! I can feel the tightening of my calf muscles, especially. The big plus side to me is that I have very high arches, and these are WONDERFUL for my feet! I'm up all day on my feet and love these shoes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of FILA toning shoes. I don't wear them enough to know if they make a difference, since I've taken up running and you can't run in them, but they're very comfortable. They make my feet happy.
  • lcoulter23
    Options
    I have high arches too,ellen, my tone up things are the most comfortable pair of shoes I own!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Didn't feel/notice a thing...too expensive and ugly too

The only thing I liked about them is my legs hurt a little less when I walked all day at work becasue of the huge cushion.
  • panda5301
    panda5301 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started my diet January 1st and have been wearing my Sketchers Shape ups since then and I love them!!! I see a difference in my butt, thighs and calf's. I wear them all day long pretty much everyday!!! I will continue to wear them to continue to help me in my weight loss.
  • stephding
    stephding Posts: 16
    Options
    I actually hurt my hip with Shape Ups. My Dr. advises against them unless you have some specially fitted by a professional.
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    I have the "Shape Ups" and I wear them 8 hrs a day on my feet in a hospital. They are the grey/purple lighter weight shoes. I started wearing them before I started exercising. I truly noticed my butt and calves more toned. Improved posture. More aware of holding my core in. Mostly my back isn't sore at the end of my shift. A great percentage of nurses wear them and they say the same things.

The cons for me: They are a bit big looking, but, I don't feel clumsy and I've never lost my balance. My toes feel a bit sore at the end of the day from having to curl them (like walking in sand) for every step I take. My feet naturally pronate and they definitely cause me to pronate more. Now I rotate between them and regular tennis shoes. So....good and bad. :)