Stuck at a weight for a month...

Options
question, i have been using this site since Jan 5. since then i had a goal to loose about 20lbs or more. i have been doing the elliptical and watching my calories based on what i have entered into the site. i have been doing the elliptical 7 days a week for 1hr. the machine says i loose about 1100 per workout. i entered in this site i wanted to loose 2lbs a week and i started off at 210lbs. i am now down to about 197-195. i have been stuck at this weight for about a month once April 14th comes around. not sure what i have to do different to get me where i need to go. can someone lend a hand please.
the system said i am supposed to eat about 1360 calories per day. i eat them then exercise. like today for example. before i worked out it said i have "-237 for the day" after exercising its saying i have 908 calories left to get back to zero. i think i am doing this right just not sure why i have all of a sudden hit a wall again. almost want to stop its just frustrating.

Thanks

Replies

• jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Your body needs more calories. Eat your exercise calories. It sounds counter-productive but you need to eat them all. Otherwise, your body goes into starvation mode and takes all calories and converts them fat.
  • pstubby25
    Options
    Sounds like your on the right track. Watch simple carb intake and dont eat late in the evening. Implement some weights in your workout . Use low weights and high reps wake those muscles up and get them hungery. I statrted Feb 7 and have lost 34 lbs so far. Im 46 yrs old .
  • LilSnoop40
    Options
    sorry if that came off wrong after my workout it says i have 908 left but i still have to eat dinner so at days end every day i have been around the green "0" mark. i have also been doing about 120 situps a day as well. so every day i am eating about 2500 calories i would say...
  • HighRearGisele
    Options
    What are you eating? That does sound funny, but I bet you built a lot of muscle in your legs and core by starting to do that elliptical, if you hadn't been doing it before. Muscle will weigh more, so that may account for why you haven't lost poundage like you had in mind. I can't really see your stats, such as height and what you are eating, so I don't know as to whether or not the 2500 calories/day are necessary or what might be messing you up. You might try to lay off the really fattening foods, replace w/LOTS of veggies (b/c they'll give you lots of water and help you get full w/o fat and so many calories), and make sure you are SWEATING when you do the cardio. That's the best way I've ever found to drop the fat quick, which sounds like what you might need to boost yourself (metabolism and motivation) and get past the plateau (physically).
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    EAT YOUR WORKOUT CALORIES! I've done the same thing and since I've started eating my w/o calories I've dropped 1.8 pounds and that just since TUESDAY. You are starving your body with such a huge deficit. Chill on the exercise girl! Be reasonable and your body will respond reasonably too! I know that's a hard concept to wrap your head around but it is the truth! There's so much info on this in the messages - and I'm here to tell you that eating your w/o cals is the right thing to do. Promise! Good Luck! :wink:
  • Jennid27
    Jennid27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Don't give up. I honestly don't think you are eating enough calories. If your body is in starvation mode it will hold on to all you give it. Sounds crazy but up your intake and I bet the scale will move in the right direction. Have some protein and good carbs at every meal and eat every 3-4 hrs. Switch up the exercise too. Hang in there!
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    You are doing really good! Maybe try a new workout. Sometimes your body will get used to the same thing and no results will come. so try the elliptical for maybe a half hour 3 days per week with different resistances then maybe walk the other days and lift weights which is really good for burning fat and toning up! I'm working on it now also! Good luck and keep up the good work!!

AS far as the eating back all of the exercise calories, it works differently for each person. I gain weight when I eat all of mine back so follow your body or whatever your physician says b/c it's not meant for everyone. Overall you are doing really good
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    EAT YOUR WORKOUT CALORIES! I've done the same thing and since I've started eating my w/o calories I've dropped 1.8 pounds and that just since TUESDAY. You are starving your body with such a huge deficit. Chill on the exercise girl! Be reasonable and your body will respond reasonably too! I know that's a hard concept to wrap your head around but it is the truth! There's so much info on this in the messages - and I'm here to tell you that eating your w/o cals is the right thing to do. Promise! Good Luck! :wink:

Girl? I think maybe you should check out his profile
  • rupperoni
    rupperoni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    possible that the elliptical isn't giving you an accurate calorie count .
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    shake it up...try something totally new for exercise and then go back to the elliptical from time to time. I love to run and then stopped seeing the scale move no matter how fast or long I made some of the runs.

Also I was told that sometimes if you exercise intensly you access energy calories that come quickly from muscle rather than slow and steady intense calorie burn that access fat burn.

i am in the market to get a heart rate monitor that tells me just that sort of thing since I think I am working like crazy at the gym and curious to see what I need to revise to access more fat burn
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment that the calorie count on your eliptical might not be accurate. I have an eliptical trainer too and I know that I am only burning about 600 calories in an hour. I guess it depends on what resistance you have it set at, but 1100 sounds like a lot of calories in one hour.
  • mclahey
    mclahey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think your machine in inaccurate....My treadmill was giving me 350 cal in 30 mins...but when I got my new hrm I am getting 200....the machine was out...
  • LilSnoop40
    Options
    stat's i am about 5'11, 197 now was 210. every morning i eat 2 bowls of cereal which is a total of 4 cups and i use 3 cups of 1% milk with that. then i have 2 3 slices of turkey sandwiches on a bun. and a snickers marathon bar. for lunch. when i get home and being my workout i am already through 1360 calories. once i workout i get them back to eat. when u say eat my workout calories... i thought i have been. before i even start my workout i have already eatin 1360 worth of calories or more. then after the 1hr elliptical i get extra and eat them for my dinner...
  • LilSnoop40
    Options
    when i do my two back to back 30 minute elliptical workouts i only use resistance 8 first then 7. which are the highest it goes up to .each 30 minute workout i try to do about 550 + calories according to my machine. i have a nordic track not sure of the model off the top of my head and when i am done i am completely soak in wet i could ring my shirt out with water. i also drink 2 32oz bottles of water a day as well. trying to give all the info i can. the snickers marathon bar says its 13grams of protein i think...
  • LilSnoop40
    Options
    can someone please answer some of my questions in my last too post please. i am a little lost about eating my workout calories when i think i have been.

thanks
  • HighRearGisele
    Options
    Reading them now and will get back to you in a few...
  • HighRearGisele
    Options
    Ok, I'm not an expert, but here's what I'm thinking and I would try if I were you...the cereal is A LOT of cereal, probably a lot of carbs and calories, as opposed to lots of fiber and protein. You might try to add more protein to that meal, and replace some of the calories you are eating (SNICKERS) with LOTS of veggies, a huge salad, several times/day, if you need it. Fruits and veggies (especially green, like spinach) have lots of fiber, and fiber helps fill you up quicker and keeps you fuller longer. That's why you always want to eat whole grain stuff, b/c it's the fiber that helps w/everything. Also, the veggies are sooo fewer calories, and from my experience, when I totally eat veggies, I drop weight like I don't know what. Of course, some protein in there will be good for you. On the elliptical, my God, you are maximizing that thing! I mean, that's great, the max resistance is always better, so no wonder you are sweating like you do (btw-that's great you are drinking so much water-keep it up), but you are for sure building muscle, so that's going to counteract any actual pounds on the scale you are losing...but that's ok, the built muscle burns lots more calories when you're not actually working out (like when you're sitting on the couch) than the fat did before. I'm not sure about eating the exercise calories, I will have to think about that and don't have time right this moment to finish, but will get back asap. Bottom line right now, I would learn to love veggies and some protein, and I think you will start dropping weight.