Arm. Fat.

Options
If there's one thing I hate most about my body it's my arms, and I don't wear short sleeved shirts because I'm so self conscious about them. I don't have anything to use for arm exercises, and even though I've lost weight my arms seem to be staying the same.
Are there any arm exercises anyone knows?

Thank You (:

Replies

• mommy22sweetkids
    Options
    Push ups are VERY effective!!
  • KKButter
    KKButter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    A combo of cardio to get rid of the fat and arm strength training to build up the muscles underneath. I've been focusing on some strength training for a while now and even though I still have some fat on my underarm area, the muscles on top are all you notice. I was doing Chalean Extreme and 30 Day Shred, both have lots of arm work in them.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You don't need to "have" something for arm exercises.

Do push-ups. If you don't have the core strength to do them on your toes, do them from your knees, or against a wall.

Do bicep curls, flys, and triceps kickbacks with cans of food, bottles of water, or anything else you can find that adds some weight and is easy to hold.

Do pull-ups under your kitchen table. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/11/06/inverted-row-are-you-missing-out-on-this-great-exercise/ (video is at the end of the post)

In fact, that site I linked above has lots of bodyweight exercises you can do with no special equipment. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-videos/

No excuses! Anything that offers resistance can be used for strength training.
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Pushups and dips, which I've found recently are a killer for triceps. I usually do mine using the sturdy coffee table in my living room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9gVDCnT84
  • micarla1
    micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a similar aim - to get smalled firmer upper arms. My query is how often to do these arm focused exercises. Already doing 4-5 days a week including at least 45 mins cardio and at least 45 resistance. would it help to do 10 min arms every morning or something??
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a similar aim - to get smalled firmer upper arms. My query is how often to do these arm focused exercises. Already doing 4-5 days a week including at least 45 mins cardio and at least 45 resistance. would it help to do 10 min arms every morning or something??

You shouldn't do resistance training on any one muscle group more than one day in a row. I would say 3 times a week would work the best. Muscle isn't built while you're working out, it's built on your rest days, after you've done the workout.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The best way to get toned arms is to do cardio.

Cardio will reduce your body fat %, low body fat % = toned look, including your arms.
  • micarla1
    Options
    I seem to worry If i don't do everything that it'll all go to pieces, hence the long workouts over 2 hours sometimes :( - love it at the time but takes too long!

On the body fat % note - my scales tell me that my % is 22% is this good, average or shocking ! pahaha!

Carla
  • micarla1
    Options
    I seem to worry If i don't do everything that it'll all go to pieces, hence the long workouts over 2 hours sometimes :( - love it at the time but takes too long!

On the body fat % note - my scales tell me that my % is 22% is this good, average or shocking ! pahaha!

Carla
  • ak247
    ak247 Posts: 12
    Options
    long workouts is actually bad, your body is done with stimulus after an hour of strength training. after that your just causing metabolites to build up and muscle atrophy (breakdown of muscle tissue) as your cortisol levels increase

also, when your resistance training, your muscles should be split into groups

day 1 - back and biceps
    day 2 chest and triceps
    day 3 shoulders
    day 4 legs
    day 5 core - abdominals and lowerback

then you have a two day rest, doing a muscle group 3 times a week is just silly. if your doing a proper workour out, your muscle will need more time heal than a day or two, also body fat 20% and up is a little high, you will want to drop it lower than that to get any fat that "hangs" off you to dissapear. also those scales are not accurate. get a set of bodyfat calipers and check it more accurately.
    if you can get to 15% you will be quite happy, 10% and lower and you will get the lots of muscle and vein lines coming through, which looks very nice on people