Keep going over sugar limit..

Options
Every single day, I end up going over my sugar limit, even if it's just over by 4g it still makes me nervous seeing the red writing!

(I went over on sugar today because I had a starbucks but this is a RARE occurence so don't moan at me for that haha!)

So, really, my question is, are my sugar limits too low? MFP gave me 36g a day.. but I have looked through some other people's diaries and they consume up to 120g a day!!

I know that fruits and stuff don't really count as they are natural sugars, but even when I take away the fruit sugars on my diary, I would still be over the limit!!

What limit should I be at?

Replies

• Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bumping this... I do the same and wonder the same... :)
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bumping this... I do the same and wonder the same... :)

confusing isn't it!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    You are not alone - I'm always over too. :sick:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I know that fruits and stuff don't really count as they are natural sugars, but even when I take away the fruit sugars on my diary, I would still be over the limit!!

What limit should I be at?

Fruits DO really count. "Natural sugar" doesn't actually mean anything. Cane sugar is natural sugar, too. People just like to regurgitate things they hear without really thinking about it. Especially if it means they get to eat more and deflect guilt. Plus, Weight Watchers was telling people fruits and veggies didn't count or assigned them super low point values or something at one point in time. So, people thought "Well, this weight loss company must be right!"

The truth is: you want to stay away from things that raise your blood sugar.

That means limiting fruits.

More veggies, fewer fruits is a healthy approach.

I just ate an apple which sent me over my daily sugar limit and it's only 2:30pm. But, even veggies can be high in sugar. Corn surprised me. (I know it's a grain and not a veggie but categorically, I consider it a veggie.)

Anyway, I hope that helps. My daily sugar goal is 24. I go over 99% of the time but it keeps me aiming for low numbers. :) Good luck!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't even seem to HAVE a sugar limit? Is that an optional add-on?
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    Huh. Never mind, I found it and added it out of curiosity. I was over my sugar limit too today. Reason - my sugar limit is 32g and I had 2 apples today which totalled 42g. Sorry but that's crazy. 2 apples is not unhealthy in one day. You can't obsess over everything. I'm taking it off again!

It doesn't seem possile to stay under on EVRYTHING! You're supposed to eat 1200 calories therefore some fod has to be consumed. But everything seems to be too high in SOMETHING!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Huh. Never mind, I found it and added it out of curiosity. I was over my sugar limit too today. Reason - my sugar limit is 32g and I had 2 apples today which totalled 42g. Sorry but that's crazy. 2 apples is not unhealthy in one day. You can't obsess over everything. I'm taking it off again!

It doesn't seem possile to stay under on EVRYTHING! You're supposed to eat 1200 calories therefore some fod has to be consumed. But everything seems to be too high in SOMETHING!

You're right. Two apples isn't unhealthy. And obsessing is bad. But, for me, I really need to back everything up with as much science as I can understand. So just hiding my sugar intake and pretending like it doesn't exist won't actually help me. I need to make sure I'm choosing low-glycemic index foods for fat loss.
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    Fair enough. but do you find you're going over on a different nutrient (protein or sodium for eg) by staying within your sugar limit or are you managing to stay green on everything?
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You're right about fruit/natural sugars...try to avoid those "bad" sugars we all love...cakes, cookies, whip cream, ice cream, candy,etc!! Or limit yourself to once a week!!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Fair enough. but do you find you're going over on a different nutrient (protein or sodium for eg) by staying within your sugar limit or are you managing to stay green on everything?

Sodium has been my killer but not because I'm compensating. I just really like salty food. XD But I'm getting better! Sodium's been under 2300mg all week - most days WELL under. :)